Elective mode.

General Discussion
I just finished the entire first difficulty mode without elective mode.

BLIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

Just dear god who do you think you're helping here, that was just awful. God damn.
So... What's your point?
Obviously, make it more obvious that you can set up your skills in a way that is not incredibly stupid. (Most things determined by Blizzard are.) The default layout is dreadful and no newbies should be held by it.
Yeah, it's for console babbies basically. Every button having a specific function, rather than being able to bind whatever skill to whatever button.

Also the reason why we only have 4 player parties, 4 controllers.
I don't get what you mean. Since there IS elective mode, can't you just select this mode and bind whatever skills you like? No-one is restricted, all players can select elective mode.
Blizzard forgets to tell new players this is available to them.
While I agree that this should be on by default, I do not understand why people start the game as soon as they launch it, instead of going to the options menu.
Personally whenever I install a new game the first thing I do is go straight to options and explore everything it has to offer.
Someone in general chat said he found Elective Mode @ plvl 80.
09/02/2014 15:15Posted by Sargon
I do not understand why people start the game as soon as they launch it, instead of going to the options menu.
Personally whenever I install a new game the first thing I do is go straight to options and explore everything it has to offer.

I do the same thing myself as I like to know what options I have before jumping into the game. But there are plenty of people out there who don't really know much about settings and such, and they hit the play button as the first thing since they just want to play the game.

10/02/2014 07:56Posted by akse

I have seen people say this in chat as well, so I guess elective mode is not that obvious for those people who rarely check out the options before playing.

08/02/2014 10:40Posted by Phosphia
make it more obvious that you can set up your skills

For the purpose of gathering feedback, how would people prefer to see the elective mode option be made more obvious?
10/02/2014 15:43Posted by Vaneras

For the purpose of gathering feedback, how would people prefer to see the elective mode option be made more obvious?

I think elective mode should just be on by default, there is really no advantage to having it turned off.
10/02/2014 15:45Posted by Dis
I think elective mode should just be on by default, there is really no advantage to having it turned off.

Exactly. Even when it is on, you can just leave things as they are, not customize anything.

Have a note about it visible in the skills screen (the one shown when pressing "S").

Or a checkbox, or "Customize Skills" button, or anything that would draw attention to the feature, in the most relevant screen, where you select skills.
may be by leaving the arrows to change skill types, but grayed out and when you hover there with the cursor pops up a little square saying: "to select other skill types for this slot, enable elective mode in the option menu"
10/02/2014 15:45Posted by Dis

Agreed, no real reason not to have it on by default. No real reason to add an in game tutorial to teach people how to use the Options Menu either.
09/02/2014 15:15Posted by Sargon
I do not understand why people start the game as soon as they launch it, instead of going to the options menu.

I do the same thing myself as I like to know what options I have before jumping into the game. But there are plenty of people out there who don't really know much about settings and such, and they hit the play button as the first thing since they just want to play the game.

10/02/2014 07:56Posted by akse

I have seen people say this in chat as well, so I guess elective mode is not that obvious for those people who rarely check out the options before playing.

I think a good way to make it more obvious and also an easy way, would be to show up a hint at the moment the player gets his first skill that could be put in another slot as the one that non-elective mode make him put it. That hint would then tell him he can set skills in different slots that are on the same group of skills (basically what Elective Mode does). The downside that I can see of this approach is that some people insist in ignoring hints, so it still wouldn't be 100% effective, but I guess at least better. :)
You know, I wish they'd give us menus where we see all the in-depth formulas, factors, proc rates/coefficients etc.

I really like to have as much information as possible. I was one of the guys who had dozens of addons for WoW to be in control.
But maybe that's just me.
10/02/2014 16:29Posted by Flexy
You know, I wish they'd give us menus where we see all the in-depth formulas, factors, proc rates/coefficients etc.

I really like to have as much information as possible. I was one of the guys who had dozens of addons for WoW to be in control.
But maybe that's just me.

Its not just you , i also think proc coef. should be shown - its a hidden mechanic that makes a big difference in choosing skills and knowing exactly what they do.On topic - even if you look at options i dont think "Elective mode" says enough to draw your attention and yeah - it should probably just be on as a default.

Obviously it should be default there is no advantage at all with not having it selected.
However i don't feel bad for people who can't do the research/check options and figure it out regardless.

Its at times like this when I feel myself degenerating into a Cookie with no Manner's

For the love of god, Elective mode doesn't help anyone! There has never been any evidence or feedback to suggest it did, and the only feedback that was ever made was negative. It should be on by default and should not even be an option.

Please, this is one of those Jay Wilson artifacts still left in the game that should have been ripped out and buried along with Auction House, Nephalim Valor and a whole host of things which have never proved to be of any real help to anyone! If anything, it only serves to make the game seem flat and boring.

I dare say that if you looked at this properly, you'll probably find that the majority of accounts that have never switched Elective mode on don't even have a level 60 character. I'd even argue that Elective mode would be one of the reasons most players find it boring.

Its not unlike going to a fair ground and being told you must go on rides in a specific order and never even explaining that the most exciting rides are at the end.
Anyway... I agree that Elective Mode should be on by default (and not even possible to turn it off)
There are 2 types off gamers (or players?)

Thoes who hit ESC once they enter a game, and thoes who press W, or arrow key forward...:p

Really, I have never started a game without not going trough all the !@#$ options can give me.