Extreme levelling legal?

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
I am a demon hunter in fairly decent gear. I was derping around in torment 3 act 3 killing monsters, and a friend of mine who also has level 60 characters joined me on his lv 20 barbarian into torment 3, just as I killed a pack, and he levelled from 20-35 in one pack nearly... And he asked if I could power level him.

I didn't really want to do it before asking if this was intended or not. Is this legal way of levelling? Seeing I guess they want people to play end level content I thought they might have enabled this sort of way of getting boosted..
I think the point is that if you simply get powerleveled from 0 to 60 in two packs, you still won't be able to play the game since the difficulty is scaled to your level. That is, without having the gear first, it will impossible to play with that toon.
27/02/2014 11:59Posted by Celari
I didn't really want to do it before asking if this was intended or not. Is this legal way of levelling?

Powerleveling is a tad too fast right now, which is certainly not intended. We are working on a hotfix that will address this, but we do not intend to kill of powerleveling completely. We generally do not mind powerleveling, just not the way it is happening right now.
27/02/2014 12:41Posted by Vaneras
I didn't really want to do it before asking if this was intended or not. Is this legal way of levelling?

Powerleveling is a tad too fast right now, which is certainly not intended. We are working on a hotfix that will address this, but we do not intend to kill of powerleveling completely. We generally do not mind powerleveling, just not the way it is happening right now.

Good to hear. I'm no fan of powerleveling and since leveling in general seems quite a bit faster and much less tedious (normal,nightmare,hell,inferno) than in 1.08 it shouldn't need to exist at all.
I just wanted to add that the leveling experience is much improved in 2.0 and much more fun. Guaranteed legendaries from bosses help with this feeling.
27/02/2014 12:41Posted by Vaneras

So is it safe for us to farm paragon levels on the cursed chest event? Right now it's easy to pull 2-3b xp/h.
27/02/2014 13:08Posted by azgul
So is it safe for us to farm paragon levels on the cursed chest event? Right now it's easy to pull 2-3b xp/h.
Removed for blue quote

At this moment in time I cannot say if there are any plans to take action against those who are powerleveling this way, so all I can say currently is that it would be worth to consider not doing it if you wish to be 100% safe.

Players find clever ways of utilising game mechanics all the time, often in ways that were never even considered by the developers. That is normally not a problem in most cases, but there have been times in the past when a "clever use of game mechanics" gets classified as an exploit after it became widespread, which resulted in action taken against the accounts of players who made use of said exploit. I'm not saying this will happen in this case, but generally speaking, if you have any doubt if certain methods of playing might become classified as an exploit, then it is always the safest option to not do it.
27/02/2014 13:30Posted by Vaneras
Players find clever ways of utilising game mechanics all the time, often in ways that were never even considered by the developers

Really? After the chest farming on Inferno after release you have not considered people farming THIS chest?
Personally I really don't mind people farming that chest, leveling is half the fun but that line just makes you look silly :)
so all I can say currently is that it would be worth to consider not doing it if you wish to be 100% safe.

I appreciate your answer, but that was not helpful at all. You should be very clear what is ok to do and what is not.

This powerleveling method was well known on PTR/beta, and even talked about by devs/blues before the patch hit. Devs had the chance to remove this powerleveling method. If you punish anyone now, I'd consider it unfair.
27/02/2014 13:36Posted by MeisterVinny
Players find clever ways of utilising game mechanics all the time, often in ways that were never even considered by the developers

Really? After the chest farming on Inferno after release you have not considered people farming THIS chest?
Personally I really don't mind people farming that chest, leveling is half the fun but that line just makes you look silly :)

I was speaking in general terms with that sentence, and as such I was not referring to this particular method of farming, which is clearly not intended.
27/02/2014 13:40Posted by Ceriulun
If you punish anyone now, I'd consider it unfair.

I can certainly see why you would consider it unfair, but as I said, I do not yet know if anyone will be punished. This is also why I urge people to refrain from doing it now, as that is the only guaranteed way for individual players to avoid such an ugly situation. That said, I doubt we will be taking any serious actions here, it is just that I cannot guarantee that we will not. i.e. better be safe than sorry.
27/02/2014 13:36Posted by MeisterVinny

I will add that the chest locations on Way points fix is not complete due to random waypoint spawns it can still be done,I choose not to do it.

And once RoS is live the current fix for that will mean nothing due to the amount of valid points remaining ie it was not fixed more like dampened

At this moment in time I cannot say if there are any plans to take action against those who are powerleveling this way, so all I can say currently is that it would be worth to consider not doing it if you wish to be 100% safe.

Excuse me, are you saying its not safe to play diablo at this time?
27/02/2014 13:54Posted by Dave
Excuse me, are you saying its not safe to play diablo at this time?
he is saying if you think something is wrong dont do it to be safe nothing more
I can hardly see how this can be classified as an exploit. Is not like anyone is using third party software to achieve this.
Would be farming a specific area for 24H considered an exploit? Would be using the best gear possible and farm non stop an exploit?
I agree that you should limit powerleveling, but considering action against those who used it so far is a bit extreme. If you want to blame anyone, blame the developers that did it this way.
I still remember the Baal runs to power level quickly, and no one ever got banned because of that.

My 2cents.
3rd party is not an exploit that is a hack come back later

trying to think did it take a minute or two to get to baal then invite all your friends to get 50+ levels in a few hours or no this is a pointless argument
well i thought PTR was there to find and correct such things.

and now you might consider taking action agains players who "abuse" bugs/mechanics/bad design that you have known of for 3 months

w00t
27/02/2014 13:58Posted by Delta
and now you might consider taking action agains players who "abuse" bugs/mechanics/bad design that you have known of for 3 months

dont read it out of context they say this to prove they are willing and will investigate they are not going to bring the bam hammer on every silly boy/girl that follows the hype they love their customers as much as the integrity of the game that is called business
They will just nerf the cursed chest events into the ground and they will not be worth doing. Seems everytime they try to do something fun and rewarding, some people will exploit it until they decide to make it fun and unrewarding or just remove it from the game.