[Legal/Illegal] Hearthstone Deck Tracker

General Discussion
Hello Hearthstone Forum.

I've seen a few streamers use the software called "Hearthstone Deck Tracker by epix"

Is this software legal or illegal? Please discuss below.

For the Horde!
Hello,

No it's not illegal since it doesnt alter the game, it only proposes informations that the player can find out by himself. You can write down the cards that you played or the adversary has played on a piece of paper for example, is it illegal ? Of course not.
Like Mello said (and Blizzard themselves) any software that simulates what you can do with pen and paper is not illegal.
The program that I am debating with you guys is this:
https://github.com/Epix37/Hearthstone-Deck-Tracker
and that's what I was talking about. As I said, it doesnt alter the game, it just gives you informations that you can find out by yourself. And if you read the entire post that you linked you would find that they answer your question.

Here it is :

https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/511151446038179840
The program reads directly from the games memory, before the card is drawn / played by opponent it already shows up on overlay what you will draw/what opponent will play.

It shows turn timers, the game can be minimized and it will blink when it's your turn.

It has draw percentages, everything is automated.

If there are rules in ToS against programs that read memory, then this program is against the rules, because it clearly reads the memory/server packets sent to your machine and displays faster in overlay than the game's animations shows.

It gives you extra time to decide how to play, no need to remember how many / what cards have you or your opponent played. You can see Coin in their hand, what cards have been Kept and which he Mulligan, each turn enemy draws a card, it gets a number and you will see that he is holding a card from turn X.

Immense advantage over other players if you are real serious about constructed/arena tryhard.
The program reads directly from the games memory, before the card is drawn / played by opponent it already shows up on overlay what you will draw/what opponent will play.
[...]
If there are rules in ToS against programs that read memory, then this program is against the rules, because it clearly reads the memory/server packets sent to your machine and displays faster in overlay than the game's animations shows.

It gives you extra time to decide how to play,[...]

I don't have any experience with this program, but I can't imagine that we're even talking about seconds that you gain with that. It's probably less than a second that you gain by using this program and that's pretty negligible.

[...]no need to remember how many / what cards have you or your opponent played. You can see Coin in their hand, what cards have been Kept and which he Mulligan, each turn enemy draws a card, it gets a number and you will see that he is holding a card from turn X.

Immense advantage over other players if you are real serious about constructed/arena tryhard.

Like others already said, none of the things you mentioned could not be done by yourself. So if you were really tryharding you would be doing all of that anyways and not gaining an advantage but saving yourself a little bit of trouble/paper.

Now that being said, I don't support that kind of program and, although they don't violate any official rules, if I had something to say about it those programs would all be banned. Hard to explain why, but it basically comes down to the fact that at the end of the day players who are using those programs actually do get an unfair advantage because although you could do all of the mentioned things, you probably won't. Even if you did, you certainly wouldn't be sitting there with pen and paper and writing everything down during a regular ladder/arena game and it is quite easy to get distracted and lose track of some things when doing all of it in your head.
If you had bothered to do any research on the app, you would have found that the app does not use memory injection or packet sniffing techniques to determine what happened in game, but uses Hearthstones own logfile:

The automated tracking is done my reading out Hearthstone logfile.

More information on that here: http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/268fkk/simple_hearthstone_logging_see_your_complete_play
We can't condone the use of deck trackers, as mentioned by Zeriyah recently.

Does that mean they are not supported [like Addons in WoW] or does it mean that we'll get a ban if we used them?
30/04/2015 17:15Posted by Takralus
We can't condone the use of deck trackers, as [url="https://twitter.com/CM_Zeriyah/status/586223210649280512"]mentioned[/url] by Zeriyah recently.

Why? Because as far as I remember:
https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/511151446038179840
Of course this tool gives an advantage because of its helpful information and the on the fly probability calculations...yeah THEORETICALLY you could do that yourself...in a few seconds if you are a mathematical GENIUS....yeah right....seriously...NO.
Contacted blizz, confirmed it's allowed :)
Brode probably got slapped for tweeting that. Blizzard will never tell you it's OK to use 3rd party apps.

Sure, you can keep asking, but you will never get a response that is not vague like Zeriyah's for the simple reason that if they say it's OK it opens a big nasty legal can of worms.

You can interpret "We can't condone" as you wish. I take it as "We will not explicitly okay this but we will -probably- not action any accounts using it, but reserve the right to do so".

Personally, I don't feel there is a need to use this kind of tool (although I recognize their value)
Nice question. So can i use this Tracker right now or not?
You can.
You can. It's QoL addon. Similiar to many, many more addons for World of Warcraft.

Maybe Blizzard make The official in-game tracker?
The problem will be solved. hom he did not like it, they can not use it. That is, to make it switchable =)

Sorry for bed engreesh =)
lol why>? damage metr in wow or DBM can use, why i cant use statistics?>? i can use pen and a sheet for this > and now its like a cheet or bug>? no realy reason to not allow use program who say just what gone > or pls give full statics and log game then i can saw all moves in this match!!!