After hundreds of euro's

General Discussion
After having played HS for a while now and spend allot of money on the game i just want to let you (blizzard) know that i'm absolute disapointed with the upcomming price change.
I recently asked for a refund for the upcomming explension i pre-orederd becouse i think raising the price is verry awkward towards your customers.

I sincerely want ask you to reconsider the price changes, as i think you this will seriously hurt your reputation and will result in a big loss of european players inc. myself.

I'm writing this couse i enjoy the game, and i think this community matters.

Greetings,

K
12/03/2017 15:23Posted by Jonko
I sincerely want ask you to reconsider the price changes, as i think you this will seriously hurt your reputation and will result in a big loss of european players inc. myself.

I think it is safe to assume that they have calculated the risk/reward of increasing the prices over the regions, right? So, I guess your plea is unrealistic.
Is it possible to ask refund from pre-order? I want to do it as well...

No way I want to spend money on game that treats EU players like low class customers.
12/03/2017 17:11Posted by Warsong

I don't think so, it is unreasonable to ask so.
12/03/2017 17:27Posted by NYARLATHOTEP

If it was unreasonable, Blizzard wouldn't refund and according to some users over Reddit, they do. Open a support ticket asking for a refund and in hours the refund is done, as far as I know.

No way I want to spend money on game that treats EU players like low class customers.
It is, they have to refund if u ask. If they wouldnt, it would violate eu law
12/03/2017 17:43Posted by Weryx
It is, they have to refund if u ask. If they wouldnt, it would violate eu law

I'd like to read more on that, can you provide more details please? What law and how does it apply to this case?

From what I know, the price of the pre-order has not changed, and you still will get what you paid for.

It is, i will get my money back in 7-14 days.

If they reconsider the price i will re-buy the expension, else it's just gonna be bye bye for HS i guess. It's a shame and a waste of so many euro's tho
12/03/2017 17:27Posted by NYARLATHOTEP

Just got refunded, they didn't made an issue about it.
12/03/2017 19:30Posted by Warsong
Just got refunded, they didn't made an issue about it.

That's good to know, seems like it's no big deal to them.
Found in a thread in a swedish forum that HotS and OW isnt affected of this? Why only raise the prices in HS?
Do Blizzard think that the HS players invest more = easy money?
I think its stupid and unfair to raise the prices in one game when you got others with ingame market just like in HS.
12/03/2017 20:16Posted by NYARLATHOTEP

That's good to know, seems like it's no big deal to them.

It has nothing to do with it not being "a big deal to them" , they are just bound by the Consumer Protection Laws in Europe, they can't refuse a refund in the first 14 days of purchase (if no packs were opened which is obviously the case with a pre order) that's all.
Hehehe, this is one of the times that I am secretly so happy that I never have and never will spend money for Hearthstone. F2P for ever!
I don't get the entire thing. As I see it Blizzard doesn't even benefit from it. Here are my thoughts:

Nearly noone has all the cards. That means players don't stop spending money because they have everything. They stop spending money because they lack the money. Let's say person A spends 10€ a month on Hearthstone on average. The value of the Euro decreases and the price for packs get increased. However, he doesn't have any more money at his disposal than before as his sallary is still the same. Person A still spends 10€ a month on Hearthstone but gets less. It's not like the same person would start spending 12€ a month. If A was willing to spend 12€ a month, he would already do it. As I said, you can always spend more.

Increasing the prices doesn't result in Blizzard making more money, it results in players buying less packs.
13/03/2017 16:10Posted by LordAJ
Increasing the prices doesn't result in Blizzard making more money, it results in players buying less packs.

Well... I can say with the same credibility as you did in your analysis, that someone that would spent 45€ for packs will also spent 50€ as well. Do not take all those frustrated posts at their face value; many of these posters will let some steam out and after a while will buy packs again.

If what you said was true in all cases, then we would never see prices going up, right? So, some products are so much needed that the customers cannot live without them, even when the price is too high or increased. Coffee, milk, fancy clothing, iPhone, Hearthstone packs, etc.

Now, if it is something that is important to your life, like for example medicines, food, rent, etc then you should make a big fuss because there is no way you can stop eating or dressing. But for a computer game like HS, you can always play it for free or quit; no harm done. Weird thing is that it is in fact the other way around and people protest so loudly for the things that do not matter...
13/03/2017 17:51Posted by NYARLATHOTEP

Well... I can say with the same credibility as you did in your analysis, that someone that would spent 45€ for packs will also spent 50€ as well. Do not take all those frustrated posts at their face value; many of these posters will let some steam out and after a while will buy packs again.

If what you said was true in all cases, then we would never see prices going up, right? So, some products are so much needed that the customers cannot live without them, even when the price is too high or increased. Coffee, milk, fancy clothing, iPhone, Hearthstone packs, etc.

Now, if it is something that is important to your life, like for example medicines, food, rent, etc then you should make a big fuss because there is no way you can stop eating or dressing. But for a computer game like HS, you can always play it for free or quit; no harm done. Weird thing is that it is in fact the other way around and people protest so loudly for the things that do not matter...

Actually it is not that easy,there is a marketing "rule" I learned during my days in buissness school on marketing class.
1 satisfied customer might "bring" one more customer with him(via mouth to mouth advertising),
1 dissatisfied customer WILL "cost" five customers with him (same way as before people are much more succeptible to negative advertisement).

And in this case we are talking about preferential treatment of customers, now imagine this, you enter a store you buy a "luxury" product and you are charged 1,50(add money unit here) BUT you've seen that the customer that was in front of you in line paid 1.30 (add money unit here) for the exact same thing.
Naturaly you ask, why is that? and the answer you get is "because you live in place B and we charge people from that place more".
Would you be as inclined to buy from that place again?
Easy solution: learn to play games so you wouldn't need to play pay to win games like HS.
13/03/2017 20:51Posted by Mormegil
1 dissatisfied customer WILL "cost" five customers with him (same way as before people are much more succeptible to negative advertisement).

I don't think this is the case with products that can be used for free, like Hearthstone.

13/03/2017 20:51Posted by Mormegil
Naturaly you ask, why is that? and the answer you get is "because you live in place B and we charge people from that place more".

I think you are over-simplifying the scenario. Many products have different prices on different regions (it may even happen in shops in the same street, btw, for other reasons), due to the different market environment (different taxes, managing costs, legistlation, etc). I wanted to buy the collector's edition for Alan Moore's Providence, and it did not even SHIP to my country! (got it finally after much effort, it is a true gem).

I think the comparison to coffee, milk, gas and so on is flawed. There is a certain amount of these products you need. Assuming you are not poor, you will buy exactly as much milk as you want to consume. So yes, in that case an increase in price will lead to an increase in revenue. However, HS Packs are a digital good. This means:

A) There are no production costs so Blizzard isn't forced to sell packs at a minimum price for it to be profitable.
B) You don't really need packs. As you said, Hearthstone is not important. People have to buy food so they will have to deal with higher prices. For Hearthstone, that's not the case.
C) You can always buy more. You can only drink so much coffee but noone stops you from buying enough packs to craft another golden legendary. It's the collector mentality without the limiting factor of storage space. If Blizzard wants to make more money they can introduce "super golden" cards or bring out 3 pack expansions in one year instead of 1.5 (oh wait).

By the way, this is of course still just how I see the entire thing as a customer, I'm in no way an expert.
But for a computer game like HS, you can always play it for free or quit; no harm done. Weird thing is that it is in fact the other way around and people protest so loudly for the things that do not matter...

I think you're wrong here.
Hearthstone, like all online based games, depend on an extensive player base. If the company makes a move that in essence will discourage a noticeable portion of players from playing, and/or hinder the influx of new players, people that still like and want to play this game will also feel the effects.

If you get less players you get less diversity, the game becomes stale, more people get bored with it and quit and in the end the game can't sustain itself or you are left with only the elite hardcore players battling each other over and over and over.

It is in the interest of players for Blizz to make HS not only appealing for them, but also for as many other players as possible, and the selected price change that Blizz is currently doing directly opposes that.
And please do not get back with the argument that "you can play for free", because as in theory you are correct we both know that it's a very big disincentive for new players to get pwned by unskiled players using netdecks that take months to craft without paying.