Why do people add you just to insult you

General Discussion
There seems to be this weird trend atm where people add you immediately after losing to insult you.

Someone called me pathetic because I beat him with my shaman ( an un net decked battle cry shaman with no spells) don’t they realise they are the pathetic ones ?

It’s so weird.
To your question in topic, some people are doing it, because they are unable to handle emotions, or understand something, or be objective. Any of those three cases means, that they lack something.

Regarding word "pathetic". This word is sometimes misused by those, who have no idea of meaning of that word and its origin. Using it in this case is non-fitting. That word is derived from word "pathos", which was used in "art of rhetoric" already by ancient Greeks. Today it has wider area of use, but word "pathetic" is always connected with appeal on emotions. I can assume, that people, who are trying to insult you after game are trying to appeal on emotions and thus they are pathetic ones, but using word "pathetic" as evaluation of duel progress and result is just display of lack of knowledge about meaning of that word.
13/11/2017 12:08Posted by Motylek
Regarding word "pathetic". This word is sometimes misused by those, who have no idea of meaning of that word and its origin. Using it in this case is non-fitting. That word is derived from word "pathos", which was used in "art of rhetoric" already by ancient Greeks. Today it has wider area of use, but word "pathetic" is always connected with appeal on emotions. I can assume, that people, who are trying to insult you after game are trying to appeal on emotions and thus they are pathetic ones, but using word "pathetic" as evaluation of duel progress and result is just display of lack of knowledge about meaning of that word.

Are you not being pathetic here? Most such words are not fully clear in the common usage. It is about what word one intuitively picks to discribe something.

In almost every case when I use a more difficult word, I am not exactly sure of its meaning, but if I check it out, it usually turns out to be correct enough, so I have learned to trust my instincts, that comes from the common usage and you are free to argue against it, but that's how it usually is in practice even if it is not.

It is a good word to use when you see somehting that you consider "pathetic." That makes an interesting interpretation of the world. Leaving the academics to others and letting the reader to interprete the meaning. Abstract words (terms) are not easy for most people and there are even whole books analysing a single word and failing.

There are a lot of words that one can use instead and it needs higher talent and/or study to be able to make the difference; language tests often have such a part where one needs to pick from the most fit word and they can be (many levels) impressively difficult and beyond even a normal English mother tongue speaker.

In other countries we do not learn the definitions any further than what reads in a simple dictionary and the interpretations have to come from feel, as the definitions (similar words) do not define it, but just gives many alternate words and other, trying to describe the world in different usage, situations. Some of us have better things to do than becoming a language expert in English.

Aiming for high language ability can be essential in academics for a part of the people with that level education, but I find it rather silly and amusing to read some "dicks'" complains about language usage of the common people, and more so when it isn't their mother tongue where one just picks the world from one's small or passive dictionary (in the memory) that seems fit at the moment.

There are possibly like 1M worlds in English and all abstract and professional worlds take study to understand them somewhat and it just is not practical, so toning down a bit is a good idea.
I'm flabbergasted!!
14/11/2017 09:43Posted by Vlad
I'm flabbergasted!!

I'm not. This discussion is like a delicate platter of food; it's simply scrumdiddlyumptious!
Motylek, meanings of words get extended or even change, which is not wrong, but simply the way languages work.

fun fact: this even works between languages. if I used the word "ordinary" as a loan word in my language, its meaning would change to something along the lines of "extremely vulgar (often in a sexual context)".

whereas if smth was "awesome", we could call it "horny".
How is pathetic a misused word in OP? They simply can't handle defeat and feel the need to trashtalk their opponents.

2. informal
miserably inadequate.
"he's a pathetic excuse for a man"

This is the definition Google came up with and I think it fits perfectly.
Well the problem is EMOTE if u going to win and u see guy is conceding dont make Emotes maybe he will not add u