Opponent not losing rank after defeat

General Discussion
Can someone explain to me why the opponent's rank isn't going down after loss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMw7COSBZ9Y

I should also mention that this happened to me before with another opponent three times in a row, I was matched with him three consecutive times and every time he kept the rank, but I didn't have recording on.

Thank you.
I can't give a full explanation of this specific case; that would require access to data Bizzard owns (if they keep logs of this at all). But here is how it broadly works and how this might sometimes happen.

The rank you see in legend is based on "MMR" - a score that is kept on the Blizzard servers but not (as far as I know) visible in any way. Every match result affects your MMR score. Basically, you gain points if you win and lose point if you lose - but I suspect that the reality is a bit more complex. For instance, I would expect that beating a strong opponent gives you more points than beating a weak opponent, and that losing to a strong opponent costs you less points than losing to a weaker player.

The legendary rank you see is computed by ranking all legendary players by their current MMR score. The person with the most points is legend 1, the next best legend 2, etc. Obviously this list constantly changes becuase people are playing games, causing them to gain or lose MMR points and as a result move around in the ranking.

While you are in a game but the game is not yet finished (as well as when you are not playing at all), your MMR score doesn't change. But other people are still playing and moving around on the ranking. If players pass you (in either direction) then even though your MMR score is the same, your rank changes. You will not see this in the game; the legend score shown for you and your opponent is the ranking you had at the start of the game, which is then shown on screen and not updated during the game.

Suppose you started a game when your MMR score made you rank 218 in the list. Then you will see your legend rank displayed as 218 the entire game. But if I log in later and start to spectate your match, then I might see your rank as 212 - meaning that six people who were above you in the rank when your game started lost enough points to drop below you while you were playing. Now if at that point you concede, your MMR score will be lowered. Perhaps enough to lose 6 ranks and put you back at 218. To me, the outside observer, it looks like you lost 6 ranks. To yourself (and your opponent if you queue into the same player again) it appears as if your rank was unchanged.

That is one possible answer to your question. There is one other explanation but it is very unlikely at the ranks where you see this. Sometimes the gaps in MMR rating betwee players get very big. And then, one player can gain or lose MMR point without changing position relative to their neighbors. I have seen this happen for streamers who are in top-10 legend and trying to get number 1 - they sometimes need to win 2 or 3 consecutive games to gain just a single rank, simply because the player ahead of them leads by more MMR points than can be earned by a single win. On ranks below 10 I have never seen this happen - but it is at least in theory possible.
Thanks for trying to explain, and while I do understand what you say, some of the explanations fall rather short.

First of all, MMR stands for Matchmaking Rating, which is something that determines solely whether or not you are being matched to a stronger or less stronger opponent compared to the MMR you had the last game and also based on your performance. So this only determines your matching, as the name says, not your displayed rank.

Secondly, this player lost, so his rank (non-MMR displayed rank) should also drop. I am pretty sure there is no instance where you lose a game and at the end the rank stays the same.

I am pretty sure this is a bug, I lost many times to the same opponent twice in a row, even thrice in a row, especially in wild legend where there are like 5 people playing at a time and I never ever kept the rank.

I hope to see some blue post about this.

Thank you.
guess you didn't beat him hard enough
(joking obviously)
He didn't lose rank because his MMR was still higher then from those players that were lower rank then him. This can happen, and one explanation is that people that were lower rank then him, also lost games, thus they MMR were lowered. And no one that have won has got MMR higher then your opponents.
You understand what i mean. It can also happened that 2 players have the same rank
24/02/2019 13:00Posted by Aelumag
I am pretty sure there is no instance where you lose a game and at the end the rank stays the same.

Well if your the lowest ranked legend it would, I doubt Rushin lost any ranks when he conceded 858 games to face a rank 25 player lol.

At low legend the mmr gap can definitely be high enough to not move after a loss, just like at high legend, wins might not move you up.
24/02/2019 13:56Posted by toma
He didn't lose rank because his MMR was still higher then from those players that were lower rank then him. This can happen, and one explanation is that people that were lower rank then him, also lost games, thus they MMR were lowered. And no one that have won has got MMR higher then your opponents.
You understand what i mean. It can also happened that 2 players have the same rank

Ok so if this is the case, after playing an opponent 6 times in a row, why is his rank intact and mine changes? we both won and lost and only mine dropped when lost. we were both at 120. however, his rank was also stagnating at 100 after winning a few times. but he would not go down on losing.