Matchmaking is a terrible joke.

General Discussion
1 2 3 18 Next
Highly Rated
Ok first of all I'd like to say the game is great. It has some balance issues and other small problems but I'm confident these will all be fixed down the line.

However there is 1 huge glaring issue which is obvious to me. The matchmaking system does not work as it should and leads to many frustrating games for both new and experienced players alike.

I have seen many games now where 1 team seriously outranks and outskills the other. Lvl 1's mixed in with lvl 30's and no they weren't grouped with anyone. 1 team having an average level 10 levels higher than the other etc.

I've also checked the forums and seen many new players complaining they were being matched against much higher level and higher skill players.

Mixing new and experienced players together like this not work especially when the matchmaking fails terribly at balancing the number of experienced and new players on each team. It's a horrible experience for both the new and experienced players.

Those of you saying a 50% win rate is a sign that the matchmaking is good and working are wrong. Believe it or not everybody is the same skill level and there will be people who should have 70%+ win rates while others have 35%. That's life. Yes in a proper ladder you will eventually level off at your rating and start getting around 50% but up until that point your win rate can be much higher. This is clearly not how it is working. You should be getting 50% at the point your rating has you facing with and against other players of the same skill level. Not by putting several new players on your team to increase your chance of losing.

The thing is the matchmaking is obviously not working like this. I'm not sure if it's intentionally mixing new players with experienced players who are on high rates to try and force 50% or not but it sure seems like it. If not then it's just way too random and needs it's own rating system for casual.

I want to play with and against similar skill level players. I'm not saying I'm great at the game but I am competent. New players I'm sure also want to be matched with new players so they can learn the game together.

As it stands the matchmaking system is so broken I think I have to give the game a rest until ranked is released. With 5 years of development I really would have expected this feature to be there at release but whatever.
What has level got to do with skill? Sure it indicates how much game time they have but it does not indicate skill!...
Highly Rated
28/05/2016 17:08Posted by BobaFett
What has level got to do with skill? Sure it indicates how much game time they have but it does not indicate skill!...

Always someone chirping in with the same straw man arguments. In general it is an indication of experience, granted with the several betas in this it's not always the case. Either way there is no way a lvl 1-5 has played enough games to be seeded with lvl 30+ and in most cases these low level players on the team are generally the worst so yes it is a general indication of competence.
Highly Rated
Well, it's definitely disheartening when you die n-th time in a row, along with all your teammates, and 3 people on the opposing team are constantly on fire... I feel it speaks volumes about the matchmaking.

What makes it worse is that IF everyone stays for the next game, it'll likely repeat the outcome, because the automated system needs a few games before it figures out "well, those guys are getting steamrolled - better switch things around".
Experience with the game is one thing but general fps experience and skill is greater than the level significance in this game or all the low level players who have wrecked my in 1 v 1 would lead me to believe this.

Of course if you're level 1 to 5 you are going to be at a disadvantage with just things like abilities and map awareness but since I've went passed level 30 I don't think I've encountered a player less than <15 and generally they're all in the 30-40 bracket
28/05/2016 17:14Posted by Bzal
Always someone chirping in with the same straw man arguments. In general it is an indication of experience, granted with the several betas in this it's not always the case. Either way there is no way a lvl 1-5 has played enough games to be seeded with lvl 30+ and in most cases these low level players on the team are generally the worst so yes it is a general indication of competence.

It depends Bzal there is a 20% experience boost whilst in a group, so I think BobaFett is right in his theory that what has level got with skill.

So lets look at this 20% experience right.. There can be a level 12 who is demolishing a level 30.

Overall just let the new people who have never played games similar to over Overwatch learn, they will get better, you will get better and we will all have a good time instead of biting each other.
Highly Rated
Jesus yes I'm talking in general, yes there is always exceptions to the rule but in general low level players are worse than high level players.

I see this almost every game when half my team consists of players who are level 10 and we get stomped because I'm the only 1 trying to move the payload. Even when I get an unaided triple kill with Reinheart they still lose to the remaining 3 and don't move the payload an inch. This is a regular occurrence. I end the game with 4 golds and top damage as Reinheart but we've barely got far from base. WTF is that?

Now would you care to address the actual topic instead of repeating the same nonsensical crap. The matchmaking system is terribly broken. It might take some of you longer to realise that but it's obvious to me that it's not working as it should.

Let the new people learn but not in games with experienced players. It sucks for both and leads to flame wars.
And I end the game with 4 golds as Lucio including Elimination in a team of all 30+ WTF is that?

Some folks even at higher levels don't play the objectives like they should...

But yeah you keep thinking the in-game time/level is the be all and end all
Highly Rated
People like you annoy me, you haven't addressed the actual topic at all, instead you are focusing on 1 tiny part of it and using that as a straw man argument which has nothing to do with the topic.

It's not the be all and end all, I never said it was. The reality is the matchmaking does not match players with and against players of the same skill level and you have to be blind to not see this.
Skill level and game level is not tied but whatever...
28/05/2016 17:41Posted by BobaFett
Skill level and game level is not tied but whatever...

Why are you holding onto that stawman argument. I also said skill level, not just actual level.

In most cases the 2 correlate to a certain degree especially at lower levels. In most cases the team with an average level of 30 is going to beat the team with an average level of 20 and yes this does happen quite often.

Regardless forget actual player level. I'm talking skill level. It's quite obvious that the matchmaking system is regular mixing new players with and against good experienced players.

There are many many posts on the forum already from new players complaining about getting stomped by clearly much better players.

This isn't just a problem in the first 10 levels before MMR get's a chance to get some stats to seed. This happens right throughout the leveling process.

I'm generally quick on the uptake and notice things before most other people do. This matchmaking system is broken.

If you can't see it that's your problem.
Highly Rated
Great great game but matchmaking is horrible, solo experience on it is one of the worst I've played in by far! In all honesty it's not blizzards fault on the solo side of it, players want to play the tracers, reapers and the S76..... Tanks and supports are a no go to 90% of the player base
I get games where we get stomped, I get games where we do the stomping but the majority of the time it's a fairly balanced game and yes the system won't always be perfect but imo it's working well enough in its current form as again since I've passed level 30, 90% of the time it's all players above that.

The matchmaking system is not broken the system works the best it can or do you want to wait 5 mins for each game while it finds the perfect balance?

Edit N2woR to address his reply although slightly on a tangent solo experience in my experience is fine (on PC anyway) I have a around a 60% win rate and team work on the whole is good but I agree the tank/heal roles are not always the most desired and a XP bonus for playing them would help!
28/05/2016 17:59Posted by BobaFett
I get games where we get stomped, I get games where we do the stomping but the majority of the time it's a fairly balanced game and yes the system won't always be perfect but imo it's working well enough in its current form as again since I've passed level 30, 90% of the time it's all players above that.

The matchmaking system is not broken the system works the best it can or do you want to wait 5 mins for each game while it finds the perfect balance?

The majority of the time 1 team stomps the other. Balanced close games are a rarity. Maybe 1 in 5. That's my experience.

Well clearly your experience isn't the only 1. Look at the hundreds of posts on the forums about this.

You say 90% of the time you got above level 30 that all of the other players also are. Then why in my games do I get 2-3 lvl 10's on my team who are also useless against a team who are all lvl 20-35+? This is a regular occurrence.

I will start taking screenshots to prove my point.

I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer for a more closely matched game. I'm sure ranked will solve these issues but at the moment it is incredibly frustrating playing casual.

It's quite obvious that Blizzards MMR favors finding matches quickly over actually balancing teams and nobody on the team is going to wait 3 games of getting stomped for it to re-balance the teams.

If 1 team stomps another it should re-balance after 1 game, not 3.
What platform are you on? Out of the 210 ish games I've played I'd say maybe 5-10% have been walkovers for the enemy teams and same as offence hence the fairly balanced win/loss ration and I had roughly the same stats as I had in open beta.

Sorry for you to have that experience but in mine balanced games happen way more than unbalanced ones!
I just dont get it, just got done with yet another match where lvl 30's and 40's(in one team, ours was exclusively lvl 1x's) stomped our asses and we didnt even have the slightest chance.
Even APB(which is a terrible joke in terms of matchmaking) gave me more fair games than this.
And even if you count the activity, if it takes league(which has terribad matchmaking too, but better than this) takes 40seconds to find a "good" game
how can I believe that Overwatch finds a good game in 5seconds?
28/05/2016 18:17Posted by BobaFett
What platform are you on? Out of the 210 ish games I've played I'd say maybe 5-10% have been walkovers for the enemy teams and same as offence hence the fairly balanced win/loss ration and I had roughly the same stats as I had in open beta.

Sorry for you to have that experience but in mine balanced games happen way more than unbalanced ones!

PC of course. The matchmaking is severely broken. I'll stand by that statement as I'm seeing it nearly every second game.
Alright played a few games to prove a point and it didn't take many games to get a few examples.

Example 1.

My teams average lvl was just over 25, other teams average levels was just over 13. We stomped them.

http://i.imgur.com/HRvLJKR.jpg

Example 2.

Their teams average lvl was just over 13. Ours was over 29. We stomped them.

http://i.imgur.com/VYCcUDR.jpg

In some cases the lower lvl team wins but rarely and definitely almost never when the disparity is as large as the above games. This clearly can't be working as intended. Those 2 examples are from 6 games played.