Lag, RTT, and how to fix it.

Technical Support
1 2 3 6 Next
the issue is QoS & Packet Shaping software. they either somehow route you to the US or they'll just cause ridiculous packet loss the lag will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDC-gl1NALY

and it will only effect Overwatch. if you simply have higher MS or the lag is effecting everything, then you probably have a different issue.

there are three places where QoS or Packet Shaping software can exist, Your Computer, your Network, or your ISP.

Your Computer & your Network:

here are some of the most common culprits and how to make sure the problem is NOT a service on your computer. or an option being enabled on your network.

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17611601594#post-9

Your ISP:

keep in mind, it doesn't have to be your ISP, all it takes is one hop, ONE HOP, between you and Blizzard's servers to mess everything up. just someone along the way having QoS enabled or something similar, and you're screwed, this explains why some people experience this sometimes but not always, every time you turn your router on, you get a fresh IP which means a fresh route.

if you're European/American, resetting your Router might fix this (getting a fresh IP) or any VPN or Proxy should get it done, all you need is a program that give you a different route than the one you're on right now. WTFast is the most popular, if it doesn't fix it for you, try any other VPN.

if you're middle-eastern, you're in trouble, our ISPs suck, like, major horse willy suck, and they won't even understand what you're talking about, here is how my conversation & most of Jordan went with our ONLY ISP:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209725109347997&set=a.4156784761435.2174072.1338465685&type=3&theater

so you need a VPN, not any VPN, a change route won't do it for you, you need to completely mask your packets, the program that did it for me was Speedify, here is me playing with it (warning, arabic yelling involved)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd15t-lhKWk

using VPNs doesn't mean you get banned!

Blizzard are if anything, reasonable, if you need VPNs to be able to play their game, they'd understand, if you get banned while on a VPN, its most likely because someone was doing something naughty on the same VPN and you got caught in the crossfire, just make a ticket or speak with their online chat and they'll unban you.

if you're a console peasant, I'm in the process of figuring out how to enable a VPN or Proxy for my friend's Xbox, once I figure it out and test it to be working, I'll let you know :P
29/05/2016 01:05Posted by Shredder
the issue is QoS & Packet Shaping software. they either somehow route you to the US or they'll just cause ridiculous packet loss the lag will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDC-gl1NALY

and it will only effect Overwatch. if you simply have higher MS or the lag is effecting everything, then you probably have a different issue.

there are three places where QoS or Packet Shaping software can exist, Your Computer, your Network, or your ISP.

Your Computer & your Network:

here are some of the most common culprits and how to make sure the problem is NOT a service on your computer. or an option being enabled on your network.

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17611601594#post-9

Your ISP:

keep in mind, it doesn't have to be your ISP, all it takes is one hop, ONE HOP, between you and Blizzard's servers to mess everything up. just someone along the way having QoS enabled or something similar, and you're screwed, this explains why some people experience this sometimes but not always, every time you turn your router on, you get a fresh IP which means a fresh route.

if you're European/American, resetting your Router might fix this (getting a fresh IP) or any VPN or Proxy should get it done, all you need is a program that give you a different route than the one you're on right now. WTFast is the most popular, if it doesn't fix it for you, try any other VPN.

if you're middle-eastern, you're in trouble, our ISPs suck, like, major horse willy suck, and they won't even understand what you're talking about, here is how my conversation & most of Jordan went with our ONLY ISP:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209725109347997&set=a.4156784761435.2174072.1338465685&type=3&theater

so you need a VPN, not any VPN, a change route won't do it for you, you need to completely mask your packets, the program that did it for me was Speedify, here is me playing with it (warning, arabic yelling involved)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd15t-lhKWk

using VPNs doesn't mean you get banned!

Blizzard are if anything, reasonable, if you need VPNs to be able to play their game, they'd understand, if you get banned while on a VPN, its most likely because someone was doing something naughty on the same VPN and you got caught in the crossfire, just make a ticket or speak with their online chat and they'll unban you.

if you're a console peasant, I'm in the process of figuring out how to enable a VPN or Proxy for my friend's Xbox, once I figure it out and test it to be working, I'll let you know :P

Hey there,
You could try getting in touch with a GM in a live chat. Or a ticket thanks. :)
I've been posting and struggling with this since Closed Beta, here is everything I learned about this problem, in case an all mighty blue visits us.

1) this issue started on April 15th, Blizzard have just started a network stress test, maybe they enabled some new packet technology that day, maybe the fact that everyone had to login from the Americas servers (like, everyone in the world) caused problematic routing entries some places around the world. I'm not a communications engineer, just a computer scientist, someone who actually deals with packets and encapsulation can probably investigate this a lot better.

2) this problem only effects Overwatch, I play every single Blizzard game, and plenty of games from other companies, this is the first time I have an issue like this, some reported to have a similar issue with Teamspeak, I know Teamspeak doesn't work completely in my region, the same for Rocket League, and people who had issues with those two only managed to fix it with a good VPN, maybe whatever technology Blizzard uses with Overwatch is also used by Teamspeak & Rocket League.

3) the lag from having ROG First III or programs like it, the lag from having QoS enabled on your router, and the lag I was experiencing, all behave EXACTLY the same, just like the video I linked in the previous post, after trying to play Overwatch on a fresh windows install, with barely any drivers, after trying multiple routers and multiple locations, I suspected that it must be my ISP that has a QoS service enabled, and after talking to a communications engineer who actually works in an ISP like mine, he confirmed that they most likely have it enabled. in Jordan, Orange owns ALL the infrastructure, unless I want to play on 4G or 3G, I had to go through Orange, so it wasn't as simple as picking another ISP for me.

4) when we thought it was only the middle east, people reported having the same issue in Europe & the US, but they were slightly different, some of them had the issue only start last week, or last night, not on April 15th. some had it only in certain areas, and some had it only at certain times. while the middle east had it all the time, everywhere, and all ISPs.

the logical conclusion is that a hop between you, and Blizzard's servers have QoS enabled, Blizzard already know QoS screws up its game connection, its in the common issues thread, but I guess what they didn't assume is that some ISPs are stupid enough to blanket enable it for whole nations, or all it takes is one IT on some server in the middle of nowhere to think "ohhh quality of service, that sounds helpful, I better enable that" to completely destroy every Overwatch packet that passes through.

so QoS and Overwatch packets just don't get along, using VPNs and the sort is only a temporary solution, the real solution is Blizzard figuring out whatever it enabled on April 15th, and turning it off, or somehow modify it in a way that lets it and QoS to live along.
An OrangeJTG victim here.

Can confirm that I have had this issue since open beta and was only able to resolve it via a VPN (F-VPN-UDP protocol). But as the OP said, basically any VPN that gives you a new route should be just as good.
I had a similar issue and was looking for a fix since the open Beta Weekend. I also have a ROG motherboard , I finally fixed my RTT rubber-banding issue last night :)

This might seem stupid but I just installed GameFirst 4 and kept overwatch on 'Auto' and it fixed it. If i turn Gamefirst off, i get the rubber-banding issues all over again.

So it seems like for people with ROG motherboards who never had Gamefirst installed in the first place can fix the RTT lag by just installing Gamefirst and keeping overwatch on Auto with the Intelligent Mode switch on the 'ON' state.
I solved my 1200ping issues by just using an Ethernet. Didn't have that ping inf irst 2 days of release then 3rd and 4th day they were so high for some reason (I didnt change anything on router oddly enough).
Can confirm the same issue,
All lebanese ISPs have the same issue, i have tested 4 different ISPs on 3 different builds the trouce routes always continues to US

0 BEYMPWS1480334.beymp.local [10.193.6.78]
1 10.193.0.1
2 193.227.160.105
3 193.227.162.247
4 172.16.40.6
5 172.16.40.5
6 ix-xe-1-2-0-0.tcore1.WYN-Marseille.as6453.net [80.231.217.25]
7 if-ae-8-1600.tcore1.PYE-Paris.as6453.net [80.231.217.6]
8 if-ae-3-6.tcore1.L78-London.as6453.net [80.231.130.85]
9 * if-ae-17-2.tcore1.LDN-London.as6453.net [80.231.130.130]
10 if-ae-8-2.thar1.NJY-Newark.as6453.net [66.198.70.173]
11 if-ae-5-2.tcore1.N0V-New-York.as6453.net [66.198.70.82]
12 if-ae-7-2.tcore1.NTO-New-York.as6453.net [63.243.128.25]
13 if-ae-9-2.tcore1.N75-New-York.as6453.net [63.243.128.122]
14 66.110.96.142
15 hu-1-3-0-8-cr02.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.241]
16 be-32-pe01.60hudson.ny.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.74]
17 as30036.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [173.167.57.150]
18 37.244.3.33
19 24.105.31.25
20 24.105.31.30
21 * * *

Vpn does solve the issue in some cases.
After disabling QoS from my router and also making QoS packet scheduler % to 0 from pgedit.msc the looking glass doesn't show anymore that 25% packet loss. Now it's 0% packet loss.

I just find it wrong that people have to do something like this for just overwatch when all other games work with no problem. Perhaps just a bad netcode.
Hey man thanks for answering to my topic. I tried your speedify and i'm still getting the same issue.
@Shredder

Thank you for posting this, but I believe that this does not apply for some of the users that report problems since last Thurday.

From what I see, you seem to have some packet loss at ramdom moments, causing you to have lag spikes, which I belive is NOT the case for a lot of people (including me).

What I have right now is a stable connection of 120 ping instead of the normal 40 I used to have, but I do not suffer from lag spikes at all, just a constant high ping with no stutter. I believe the huge amounts of topics that came up these last days are due to a problem similar to mine, and not exactly what you described you suffered from.

I'm sure that the problem you had is affecting a lot o people too, but I'm afraid manyn others are having a different issue.

Also, the problem you report seems to be around April 15, while the problem I described only came up this Thursday.

I'm sure me and many others appreciate your effort, and I hope it solves people problems. I am still going to try Speedify as a temporary solution, and I'll report back with some feedback ;)
Ok guys, sorry for the double post but I fell that it's better to just create a new post.

I feel like a complete idiot, but I believe I have solved the ping increase problem without using any kind of VPN proxys, at least its working for now. Here is what happened:

Yesterday, I decided to send a ticket directly to Blizzard support and explain this situation. I just went to my e-mail and I already had a response from Blizzard about this subject. Here is the ticket I sent and their response:

My ticket:
Hello!

Im writting this ticket because there is an issue with me and lots of other people regarding our ping since around Thursday.
Since thursday, my ping as gone from around 45 to 120. I've checked other games and the ping is always fine, all of them except Overwatch. Im not sure if it is affecting other Blizzard games, but from what I saw in your technical support forums, it is indeed affecting your other games. I've also double checked if i did not connect by mistake to the Americas server, which I didn't, I am definitly in the EU server.

From what I could analyse, there is a problem with how our signals are getting connected to your EU servers.
As you can see in the Tracert file that I sent, for some reason the signal is getting deviated to places like New York and Newark, making the ping go to around 120 ms, instead of the normal 45 that I used to have since beta.
I believe this problem has origin in your patch from Thursday, since it was when this problem started for everybody.

This situation had been reported in your technical support forums multiple times by multiple people from different countries, and the only response from Blizzard we have so far is that it's something wrong with our ISP, which clearly it's not, since so many people from so many countries are having the same problem that started at the same time for everybody, and it's not affecting anything else besides Blizzard games.

Please check some of those threads, and reply to them if possible, people are getting crazy about the fact that Blizzard support is ignoring this issue and taking no responsability at all about this subject:

-> http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17611631063
-> http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17611861102

Thank you for your time.
DiscipleOf1

Blizzard response:
Hello ,

First of all, I apologize for the time we had to wait for a response from us.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with overwatch.

Indeed, as mentioned in your traceroute, we can see that first go to America and only then coming to Europe.
Please take a look at the response of the "Shredder", the link that sent us:

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17611631063?page=5

In this follow-up response, please try the following steps before contacting your Internet service provider:

1º- Restart your network device (Power Cycle)

https://us.battle.net/support/pt/article/power-cycle-your-network-devices

2. Shut down background applications

https://us.battle.net/support/pt/article/shutting-down-background-applications

And last: Renew the IP and DNS Clean

https://us.battle.net/support/pt/article/ip-release-renew-and-flush-dns

Hope that helps, I wish you an excellent end-of-week :)

So, what I did to fix the problem was the simplest thing you can do: Reboot the router! .

Now here is the weird thing. This was actually the first thing I did right when the problem occur on thursday, but nothing happened, the problem still persisted. I actually did this 2 times and nothing.

What I didn't do was to follow rigorously step by step the process just like Blizzard says.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/power-cycle-your-network-devices

I just followed the instructions and I didn't even need any VPN at all, my ping was back to around 45 again!

I feel like an idiot, but its working now.
I am from Portugal and I am using NOS as my ISP, so at least if you are from Portugal and using NOS as well, this might fix your problem, and it's really easy to do.

PS: I'll keep my eye here on technical support and provide any help I can.

PS2: About @Shredder post, I tried Speedify and it works but not fully. Tried a french, english and spanish server and ping goes down by a lot, but stops at around 60-70 ping, best one is probably the french. As a temporary solution I guess it's ok but definitly not ideal.
@DiscipleOf1

I have a tendency of posting walls of text, so I understand if you don't wanna invest 20 minutes of reading it all, but I did mention the solution you came up with, here is a quote from my own post:

simply you had a QoS service enabled hop somewhere in your previous route. and getting a fresh IP fixed it, keep in mind the problem might come back, this is a band-aid, the true fix should come from blizzard, either by sorting the routing tables using their super powers, or modifying the game's packets in a way that doesn't make QoS services ruin it.

the "Shredder" hahaha :D
29/05/2016 20:01Posted by SilverSurfer
@DiscipleOf1

I have a tendency of posting walls of text, so I understand if you don't wanna invest 20 minutes of reading it all, but I did mention the solution you came up with, here is a quote from my own post:

simply you had a QoS service enabled hop somewhere in your previous route. and getting a fresh IP fixed it, keep in mind the problem might come back, this is a band-aid, the true fix should come from blizzard, either by sorting the routing tables using their super powers, or modifying the game's packets in a way that doesn't make QoS services ruin it.

the "Shredder" hahaha :D

Like i said in my previous post, the first thing I did right when the problem started was to reboot it two times and nothing happened. It has nothing to do with the fact that I skipped or not your post where you mentioned it. It's simply that I already had done that twice and it did not work.

I believe I just did the process way too fast or incorrectly, thats why it didn't work, until I actually did it step by step the way Blizzard said, and then it worked ;)
Thank you very much from us in Israel :D trying speedify right now.
wops, accidentally posted from my friend's account up there.

I'm glad people are finally able to play, it would help if you post which VPN did the trick for you, so everyone can choose the one that suits them most. Speedify wasn't the best VPN I tried, it was the first one that worked that's all.
my friend got the same issue, we actually fixed it with the "30 FPS" function ------...
29/05/2016 19:31Posted by DiscipleOf1

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/power-cycle-your-network-devices

I just followed the instructions and I didn't even need any VPN at all, my ping was back to around 45 again!

I feel like an idiot, but its working now.
I am from Portugal and I am using NOS as my ISP, so at least if you are from Portugal and using NOS as well, this might fix your problem, and it's really easy to do.

[/quote]

Tried this, didn't work. Also from Portugal, Ping used to be 50~ on beta and launch day, up to 120 now...

Also tried to release and renew ip, nothing as well.
Tried Disciple's "fix" but it did not work for me unfortunately.. hope Blizz fixes it fast enough, very annoying to constantly be treated as a second class customer
30/05/2016 03:45Posted by Kay3
Tried Disciple's "fix" but it did not work for me unfortunately.. hope Blizz fixes it fast enough, very annoying to constantly be treated as a second class customer

read the original post mate
No progress on the console side?