Competitive Mode ruined Overwatch

General Discussion
Highly Rated
Remember when this game was fun? Remember when this game didn't make you feel like !@#$? I do, prior this current patch - that's when.

I can't help but question Blizzard on their design choices here. So say my team leaves me in the dirt and I'm 1v6, and I'm given the option to leave without penalty. Leaving will cost me a loss so I effectively lose 5,000,000,000 rank points because my team decided to %^-* off.

You really shouldn't rank players based on how quickly the team captured the objective, you should rank individual players on how well they did. If I got 4 gold medals as Symmetra, I should gain rank points because I did better than my entire team. But this mode tells me that because my team is incompetent means that I'm incompetent as well, even though I have 4 GOLD medals.

This !@#$ isn't about your skills as an Overwatch player, it's all about how quickly you capture the objective. This mode is garbage and I won't be playing it until they do something about it. I'll stick to Quick Play for now so I don't lose any rank points because some doof keeps rushing in on Attack as Bastion. I'll pass, k thanks.
PPL are so narcissistic, if u get 4 gold this dosnt mean u was helping ur team at all, u need skill up on learning not to cry on every lose or leaver, think about others players they got same problem and dosnt wine.
Or easy simple answer: get a team problem solved.
30/06/2016 12:29Posted by Basilisk
PPL are so narcissistic, if u get 4 gold this dosnt mean u was helping ur team at all, u need skill up on learning not to cry on every lose or leaver, think about others players they got same problem and dosnt wine.
Or easy simple answer: get a team problem solved.

Actually-you are right,and wrong at the same time.Right about the whole narcissistic stuff.Dead wrong about the medals-you get them for a reason.Being good at the categories,and getting those gold medals means you are performing quite good,compared to the rest of the team.And as you can see-there are other categories than "most kills" or whatever.Judging your performance individually will greatly decrease the hostility and toxicity in the game. Because let's face it-good or bad,there is always "THAT guy(looking at you-useless Hanzos) who ruins the whole game,and if you win the badU-chittU lottery,you get more Hanzos.When you gave everything you have to win,and actually loose-it will be really nice for the system to "know that" and reward you for your usefulness.Being punished with loss because "reasons" is not fair,ppl get angry,the anger goes trough the other games,and gradually someone is gonna hate and quit the game,or make it toxic for the others.
What goes around-comes around.
Medals may mean you are the best but also may mean nothing. If I'm roadhog and I kill 2-3 people every teamfight but not enemy winston who is killing our backline then I'm terrible roadhog since in that match up my main job should be killing that winston.
There are two fundamental abilities that affect how well you play in Overwatch (although only one is measured by your statistics).

1 - Twitch skills. Generally (because this is a big generalisation), your ability to put a shot on target and evade damage.

2 - Tactical Ability. A very important skill which encompasses a whole range of sub categories, but can simply be described as being in the right place at the right time with the right character.

I suck at [1], but excel at [2].

I've had lots of games swing in my favour due to switching to Zarya or Pharah etc... at certain points in the game when I know which character will apply the right sort of pressure, and where to apply that pressure to win a point, break a defence or push back attackers.

Meanwhile, I doubt there's very many games where my old man twitch skills (they're more likely 'shrug' skills these days) have swung a match.

What I'm trying to say is this... All those stats don't add up to how well you performed. Your overall performance can only be measured by your teams success.

Unfortunately, if your team blows, or they all afk etc... then that will negatively impact your ratings even though it's not your fault.

However, with Overwatch being a team game, I'd seriously consider whether you want to play competitive as a solo player. It's designed for premade teams. It takes an extremely good player to carry a poor team (I've seen it maybe two or three times since Overwatch release), and they tend to be the players who's skill goes beyond recorded statistics.

BOTTOM LINE - A lot of people need to realise that competitive mode is for teams. You need to group with the same people all the time, practice together and play together.

As competitive play progresses, you will lose rating as a solo player no matter how good you are because you'll be up against well drilled teams more and more.
Competitive Mode ruined Overwatch

So don't play competitive mode then if it ruins your game? Last time I checked it wasn't mandatory.
I jumped into quickplay a few times over the past day or so and was met by good teams, people picking balanced teams and overall playing better. Jump into competitive and there is always a load of tanks / supports because people want to win.

Also found if you use your mic in competitive people talk back :O LIKE DAMN. Competitive made the game x10 better for me. instead of doing custom game skrims for 0 xp and just 'practice' I can now play competitive for xp/purple points and skill rating?? against people with roughly the same skill rating! good times

*edit* on a side not you do rank up faster the more you put into a game, played 10 games after qualifying last night and went from 47-52 whereas a friend only went 44-47 in the exact same 10 games. It is a team based game so W/L is the ultimate measure but it is looking at your overall contribution as well I think
30/06/2016 11:53Posted by BaconJoe
Remember when this game was fun? Remember when this game didn't make you feel like !@#$? I do, prior this current patch - that's when.

Go and play on Quick Play instead of whinging that competitive mode is too much for you. The game is still fun, it just differs in the different modes. If you really thought that Competitive would be total chill you must be really naive.
30/06/2016 13:35Posted by Rathior
I jumped into quickplay a few times over the past day or so and was met by good teams, people picking balanced teams and overall playing better. Jump into competitive and there is always a load of tanks / supports because people want to win.

Also found if you use your mic in competitive people talk back :O LIKE DAMN. Competitive made the game x10 better for me. instead of doing custom game skrims for 0 xp and just 'practice' I can now play competitive for xp/purple points and skill rating?? against people with roughly the same skill rating! good times

*edit* on a side not you do rank up faster the more you put into a game, played 10 games after qualifying last night and went from 47-52 whereas a friend only went 44-47 in the exact same 10 games. It is a team based game so W/L is the ultimate measure but it is looking at your overall contribution as well I think

Nope, it's based on hidden mmr. In game stats doesn't mean anything.
I guess yeah maybe.. but then how does it decide your hidden mmr after 10 qualifier games where people who go say 5-5 are coming out anywhere between 40-55 ? It's a pretty weird system in that case; some transparency from blizz would be great to clear up how it works. Tho glad they added being able to see whos in a team now.
I agree to this! I don't want to play Quick Match now and Comp is the worst thing also Comp ruined HOTS for me before. Overwatch became one of the most annoying game over a night!
It's fine that comp. is for teams but then that leaves solo players in the shadow. It would be nice for devs to bring two different comp modes one for parties and one for solo players that way when solo you don't get overwhelmed. 40% of the time I play with my friend who lives in EU but I live in US so I solo when he is sleeping. Until they make comp. friendly place for solo players I will put my head down and try to enjoy Quick Match :(
I haven't touched competitive and the game is still as fun as before.
All I can say is that competitive sure has its problems, personally despite all of them I find it more enjoyable than QP (games are just better, at least to my experience, and of course that's not the case all the time), but if you don't like it, yeah just stick to QP until they sort the problems.
01/07/2016 10:35Posted by SubPop
I agree to this! I don't want to play Quick Match now and Comp is the worst thing also Comp ruined HOTS for me before. Overwatch became one of the most annoying game over a night!

Really?! I found it annoying about 3 days after I started playing it. These days I play it for 30 min, get pissed, uninstall it. Then reinstall it, play it for 30 min and uninstall it. Rinse and repeat.

Even now I'm being penalized for leaving in Quick Play and have a 2 hour ban on Comp for leaving too much. This game simply pisses me off to no end, only playing it because there is nothing else to play for at least another month and I'm addicted to video games.
So..... play quickmatch instead? Literally nothing has changed with quickplay mode other than the score screen in KotH.
why not just play quick play, thats what I do. Those are mostly fun.
i play solo cuz i have no friends that are on or near my competitive level (im too low at 47) so i get stuck with a full team of solo vs 2 groups of 2 and then 2 solos, they completely roflstomped us because the only thing we could agree on was that the reaper on our team was toxic. nobody communicated except spamming their ult timer and then when i lose i go down a whole level 48 to 47 on a KotH map.
I honestly think that competitive is overall bad for a game.

Sure, games like LoL and DOTA made it popular, but look at their declining popularity now. They simply hit the right spot at the right time, same way WoW made the perfect MMO at the right time.

Instead of looking at games with competitive, Blizzard should look at games that are simply FUN.
TF2 is nearly 10 years old and STILL people love playing it. Why? BECAUSE IT IS FUN, with no bull!@#$ mechanics (no easy oneshot, no retarded stuns), no stupid matchmaking (server browsing is still 1000000000000x better than a matchmaking system) and above all, no competitive that in the end only leaves people bitter and angry (over golden pixels).

TL, DR: Follow good examples, not bad ones
I mostly agree. You seem a bit egoistic though with the medal part, but i can understand it. Since this game actually rewards individual skill up to a certain point. Which punishes supports, and rewards DD's. Its highly antifun.