Lorediscussion: Lgbt Characters besides Tracer

General Discussion
First and foremost: This is a lore discussion about the topic listed aboth. If anyone is not interested in the topic or has a general problem with bi,queer, lesbian, pan or whatever characters in video games or specifically overwatch, please do not commment.

There has been that Twitter post that stated that multiple ow characters are lgbt. For me that sounds like at least 3-4 characters. That is the base I will base my assumption one.

The following is my personal opinion, so feel free to disagree. I will try to eliminate character out of the ow cast that is unlikely to be lgbt and then try to sort out which of the heroes is most likely to not be straight.

Lets start with the characters that are most likely straight (any of these could be bi though):

Ana has a daughter, so she is probably straight.

Pharah is seemingly dating a man in the new comic ( I think it is one of her comerades shown in her comic) .

In the new comic, Soldier is holding a picture, showing himself and a boy/ young man, which he holds his Arm around. I assume that is his son, so he is probably straight.

Thorbjörn is seen with his with and his (grand-)children in the new comic ( though some of these are probably reinhardts since he seems to be celebarating with them.)

Widowmaker was married to Gerard Lacroix ( which she murdered).

Reinhardt...well. Honestly the only hint for him being straight are the children around him (8) from which some are probably his grandchildren. But to be fair, he is presented as the Knight in shining Armor. It would just surprise me. ( No, not because he is german. I am german and it wouldnt be much of a problem in our society).

Ok so far. Now lets sort out those characters which are seem somehow asexuell or where it is at least unlikely that it will ever be mentioned what kind of sexuel preference they have.

Genji is a cyborg. His whole character is centered around that conflict that he is both, human and machine, the teachings he took from Zhenyata and so on. I would consider him somewhat asexuell today. (Though we do know, that he was a big party guys in his youth. But that says little about his sexual preference.)

Reaper is in his whole appreance seems like a (undead) monster or demon. I find it unlikely that his sexuality will ever be mentioned or at least that he will turn out to not to be straight, simply because it would upset a lot of people.

Roadhog- Pretty much the same.

Junkrat- Similiar. He's not a monster but a psychopath.

Bastion is not just an omnic, but one that was solely designed for battle. He's not even really "humanlike".

Hanzo....now this a tricky one. A bit like Genji, his whole character is centered about other things. Guilt, Self Pity, his "duty" to "kill" his brother and the great burden that he carries because of that. I personally think any kind of romantic story would take more from the character then it would give him. Maybe it will be shortly mentioned in some kind of flashback but I find it unlikely

Winston...well. He is not exactly a monster but still "inhuman" + I honestly don't know if gorillas even can be non straight. But even if thats possible, i find it unlikely that it will be adressed for him.

Zaryas whole appearance cries out something that is called "Kampflesbe" in germany, that would translate to somethinglike "Battlelesbian" or "Brawllesbian" in english, I don't know wether there is a term for that in english but I guess you know what I mean. She is so extremely masculine, it really wouldn't be good to make her lgbt in any way, it would just upset people.

Zhenyata: Though he is more humanlike and we have seen a humanlike omnic holding a woman like a girlfriend in tracers/widows short, I find it unlikely that he really has a sexuality. He seems to be somewhat male but his whole character is focussed on different things and unlike the humans, he (probably) doesnt even have sexual instincts whatsoever.

Well now, that leaves us with the following characters: Mccree, Sombra, Mei, D.va, Lucio, Mercy and Symmetra.

Symmetra most likely has some kind of sexuality, but she is very focussed on her work, on her "reality" her strife to bring a better world, that I doubt she will even consider a realationship. ( Partially because she is very special and somewhat lonely, she will struggle to find any partner if she even wants one). I think she personally doesn't really care if someone is straight or not, those are unimportant things "below" the real important questions from her point of view. What she personally is...I really don't know. I think she could be pan because she really doesn't care about genders but what she is born like...who knows.

Mccree. Well, a gay cowboy might bring remind a few people of Brokeback mountain, but on the other hand....blizz made a whole expansion which cried out kung fu panda, so I don't think they really bother. Besides that, I don't see much that points in either direction. But he is an honest and just person, a cool character so it wouldn't be any problem if he is not straight.

Mercy is pretty much the same. As a doctor, it is unlikely that she is influenced by any religious-cultural prejudices so that wouldn't be a problem. But there aren't really any hints about her sexuality. Personally I would like it. She really is someone people can look up to, brave, kind, compassionate. It woluldn't bring up any problems at all.

Mei, well she is chinese. As far as I know not being straight can be a bit problematic in the chinese culture ( though I'm absolutely not sure, you are welcome to prove me wrong) and overwatch plays in the future so we don't know wether that still would be the case, even if that is today. But it _might_(!!!!) upset some chinese players so from a marketing point of view it could cause some problems for blizzard. (Wether they really care about or not I'm not sure but I can imagine that they keep that in mind). Besides that there isn't much information that would hint in any direction.The only thing I can think off is, that like mercy she is someone people can look up to, so when it comes to that it wouldn't cause any problems for blizz.

D.va is south korean. South Korea is as far as I know pretty liberal when it comes to that + she is influenced by all kinds of international ideas. ( I mean, that girl spends more time online then sleeping) + she is a filmstar and of course a pro gamer. Would it be likely? I can imagine it, but its more a feeling then anything I could backup by evidence.

Sombra: Lets be honest, Sombra looks a bit like she is not straight. I know that sounds like a prejudice but it was the same with Tracer. She has a bit of a tomboy appearence, so if sombra turns out to be lgbt, it would just follow the pattern blizz allready established. Besides that I don't see much evidence for either direction. She will most likely trust no one, so I don' think she is in a relationship but that doesn't mean, that she does not have any sexual preference.

Last but not least: Lucio.

Lucio is the one hero I find most likely not to be straight, besides tracers and Sombra and that for two reasons. First: After we eliminated every other hero that is unlikely to be shown lgbt, only he and mccree remain. Blizz will probably have at least one male character in that section so it will probably be either Mccree or Lucio.

Besides that there is a voiceline that actually hints in that direction. One Numbani he will occasionally say: "Now this is my kind of city, everyone free to live as they choose". That at least sounds like something personal and not just one of his beliefs. Of course, he could only speak about omnics and humany, liberty overall and his personally fight for the freedom of his people. (for those who don't know, he led a riot which ultimately liberated his people from vishkars grasp.) But I think it also hints to his sexual preference, maybe he even suffered under prejudices.

I will not cover Doomfist since we really don't know much about him.

To sum it up: 3-4 Characters are likely to be lgbt. Tracer is confirmed so I think the most likely candidates are Lucio, Sombra, Mercy, Mei maybe Mccree or Symmetra. For the others, I just find it unlikely for the reasons listed above.

As I said, you are free to disagree. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the topic but please, be nice and respectful. Comments like "We don't need lgbt characters, I don't want to be bothered with that when I'm playing games " are not needed :)

Best of Wishes

Eldarion

(P.S. Since English is not my first language, you will probably find some grammatical mistakes. I beg your pardon ;).

(P.P.S. It seems like my first attemt to open up a thread didnt make it, hopefully I'm not doubleposting.)
Could Blizzard not just add a category called sexuality for every !@#$%^- character and be over with it? Is we really gonna start a new sexuality witch hunt till another character gets a sexuality reveal in a comic and takes all the focus from way more important lore questions?
21/12/2016 18:54Posted by OniEyes
Could Blizzard not just add a category called sexuality for every !@#$%^- character and be over with it? Is we really gonna start a new sexuality witch hunt till another character gets a sexuality reveal in a comic and takes all the focus from way more important lore questions?

A characters Sexuality is an interesting aspect about the whole character, a detail. So its interesting to discuss what their sexual preferences might be and why that might be case. For Symmetra for example, I could imagine that she choose her preference from a logical point of view, not because she feels a pull to either side.
21/12/2016 19:02Posted by Eldarion
21/12/2016 18:54Posted by OniEyes

A characters Sexuality is an interesting aspect about the whole character, a detail. So its interesting to discuss what their sexual preferences might be and why that might be case. For Symmetra for example, I could imagine that she choose her preference from a logical point of view, not because she feels a pull to either side.

No it is not, a relationship between a character and another character which have left a impact, on said character, is interesting... knowing if your character prefers blue, red, green or yellow is not.
IMO I think (and hope) that it's Lucio, or Genji. But I think Lucio is most likely!

Also it was confirmed on the Overwatch twitter that ALL those kids around Rein are Torbs!!

He is a potent small man
Hopefully the next character is not !@#$%^, that'd be very offensive.

/s
Oh they are all from Thorbjörn? Didnt know that.

Though that actually is a said thing, because it seems like rein doesn't have any family at all ( left after the omnic crisis? ).

Its possible that he just couldn't get to his family in time but Brigite is with him, so I'd find that unlikely.
21/12/2016 19:11Posted by Eldarion
Oh they are all from Thorbjörn? Didnt know that.

Though that actually is a said thing, because it seems like rein doesn't have any family at all ( left after the omnic crisis? ).

Its possible that he just couldn't get to his family in time but Brigite is with him, so I'd find that unlikely.

Wouldn't surprise me if "Birgitte" is Torbjørn's oldest daughter, since it would explain why she's such a skilled mechanic and uses similar tools to Torbjørn in Reinhardts' comic.
Interesting theory. In Reins comic she doesn't seem to have any trouble communicating with the locals in germany, so we can assume she speaks german. That is at least a hint to her being german like Rein, but maybe she learned from Thorb (through Rein?)
Well considering Winston's looks like the only one of his kind i feel he is really low on blizzard's "sexuality to do" list, so hopefully he ll remain single so i can fantasize about that gay intelligent harambe :3
21/12/2016 19:18Posted by Eldarion
Interesting theory. In Reins comic she doesn't seem to have any trouble communicating with the locals in germany, so we can assume she speaks german. That is at least a hint to her being german like Rein, but maybe she learned from Thorb (through Rein?)

German is taught as a secondary/third langauge in most scandinavian countries, so if the school system in Overwatch is similar to the real worlds, Birgitte likely speaks english, swedish and german if not more languages.
I am a part of the bible belt in the south and I have my own opinions on the subject. So no I wasn't happy with the lore, but nothing I can do about it.

Did you know in Japan same sex couples aren't allowed? So what they do instead is the family adopts your family's son lover as a new son in the household. So now your dating your brother? LOL
I'm pretty sure Pharah is with her dad
There is a voiceline (in PTR sometime ago) which hints that there is something between mercy and genji. Though more due to mercy herself being attracted, nothing about where genji lies on it.
I haven't laughed so hard in months. Thanks for this!
TL;DR
get over this LGBT stuff
she is gay, thats it
oh !@#$ off. less than 3% of the population is LGBT. crazy right? turns out, a world exists outside of tumblr. tracer being gay is totally fine by me because it's not hamfisted in. 23 characters, thats a little bit more that 0.60% chance of ONE of them being lgbt. be realistic.
@ Oni Eyes (The Quote function doesn't seem to work :o ).

I didn't know that, would make a lot of sense then. Of course, she could have learned it from Rein. By the time the comic takes place, they seam to have spent some time together.

@ Pants Is that true? In that case the japanese Law really has some serious Issue. Reminds me of Russia where the new comic can't even be accessed in russian because of, wait for it, "gay propaganda" and the strange law concerning that paranoid term.
Lead writter confirmed there are MULTIPLE LGBT heroes to be revealed.

I assume this time it ll be a male character since lesbian was just the east safe start.

I feel hanzo or mcree could be the ones, it would be hilarious if it was mcree