General Discussion
08/01/2017 14:18Posted by Talvi
Wow, this is drivel. You do understand the word "hypocrite" right? And that your personal attack is exactly what she was talking about? You are attacking her because she is a woman. You just justified everything she is saying.

Do tell me what is justifying that the OP made a derogatory statement on half a continent? Females can do that, right? But if you criticize the female for such a statement, you are sexist, right?

I'm male, born and living in Eastern Europe. I never made sexist comments in the game. I flamed a lot of people, im your average toxic player if i encounter retarded idiots throwing games. Never flamed someone for being female (or male - who is defending male rights?).

Anyway, back to raiding the neighboring clans for women, the kitchen in my yurt got expanded and could have more sandwich making personnel. (Life in Eastern Europe - must be true, the internetz sez.)
07/01/2017 16:48Posted by HowlHuntress
After playing through season 2 and the beginning of season 3 of Comp and a whole bundle of Arcade/Quick Play I've found that there seems to be a re-occurring issue.

As most people will know the internet is full of trolls and that I can accept... However; Blizzard are in firm control of the players in Overwatch and their ability to speak with others, yet many a game I had joined mic and even before the game had begun I receive comments in broken English alike to: "Stupid grill leave", "!@#$% go cook", "Don't play game ^-*!@, you suck" and so on and so forth.

Keep in mind this is in the startup phase where you have literally said "Hey team" to your team before you play, so there is little reason for aggression. You can of course mute your team, but Overwatch is meant to be a team game in which communication is key.

Now, most of the offending people have been Eastern European and it seems that from their cultural background women are tolerated with such little respect, that they focus some kind of ridiculous anger onto them the moment one speaks in game.

I live in a country where people are tolerated regardless of their gender and any other defining characteristic, such as their sexuality and I don't believe it's right to be pushed into another culture while playing a game I have payed for where I am simply hated, for being a woman.

I'm unsure as to how you would go about fixing such a large, seemingly cultural divide in a game other than Region Locking certain countries; which is unlikely to happen any time soon.

I just believe it's a good idea to at least put the word out there as it seems to be quite a substantial problem.

Feminism.
Anti-Russian.
1/10 work on your trolling.
I find it quite sad that a genuine problem in the game (because it IS one) is being ignored here just because she poorly worded an observation she made. Yes, it's unfortunate that she had to mention a certain culture, but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

Quite hypocritical that the term "feminazi" is used here as well, that mainly proves that her point is still valid.
You know you have a mute function for that very reason right? welcome to the internet, people will be ar**holes no matter you gender, age or nationality or indeed THEIR gender, age or nationality...... i suggest using the tools given to you not raging about it on the forum.
08/01/2017 17:56Posted by TheWarmaster
You know you have a mute function for that very reason right? welcome to the internet, people will be ar**holes no matter you gender, age or nationality or indeed THEIR gender, age or nationality...... i suggest using the tools given to you not raging about it on the forum.

Yes, because the original post was certainly a rage. How dare she use phrases like "re-occurring issue" and "I just believe it's a good idea". Forums are here to express ideas and opinions, and if this is what she experiences, she has every right to question it.

I really hate the attitude of "this is the internet, mute and move on", because that is exactly what keeps enabling these numbnuts to go around and insult people personally over a game, without getting punished for it. Muting is indeed the best thing she can do in this case, but it doesn't make the problem go away.
So I was thinking that I wouldn't really mind game bans being issued (not just mutes) for repeat offenders like that, however I then realized that someone would have to judge whether person saying X took it too far or not. There's a lot of room for bias there. As you can see in this thread, people already have conflicting opinions on what should be allowed and what should not.
Use the "it's just a Game" argument to self-assure you are the good one and it has no meaning in the real world. I get that a lot, so it must work both ways.
08/01/2017 17:50Posted by Snowieken
I find it quite sad that a genuine problem in the game (because it IS one) is being ignored here just because she poorly worded an observation she made. Yes, it's unfortunate that she had to mention a certain culture, but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

If you try to get a point across in a forum maybe you should learn to properly express yourself. (talking about the OP here)

Condemning half a continent of people for the acts of a few sad trolls is hillariously ignorant.

Besides that, I get the point and it sucks. I don't think Blizzard can change alot here though, besides maybe bringing back the avoid player button. Harrassment isn't a problem in Overwatch alone. (its far worse in some other communities actually).

Best you can do is report, block and move on. These people don't deserve any kind of attention and they certainly do not represent any kind of mayority.
08/01/2017 11:29Posted by Okoto

I receive comments in broken English alike to: "Stupid grill leave", "!@#$% go cook", "Don't play game ^-*!@, you suck" and so on and so forth.

Now, most of the offending people have been Eastern European and it seems that from their cultural background women are tolerated with such little respect, that they focus some kind of ridiculous anger onto them the moment one speaks in game.

I live in a country where people are tolerated regardless of their gender and any other defining characteristic, such as their sexuality and I don't believe it's right to be pushed into another culture while playing a game I have payed for where I am simply hated, for being a woman.

I'm unsure as to how you would go about fixing such a large, seemingly cultural divide in a game other than Region Locking certain countries; which is unlikely to happen any time soon.

You see...this is where you screwed the pooch hard, really hard. You are ignorant, self centered snowflake and i think i smell a dirty Feminazi. So you go around, telling people about the cultural background of the Eastern EU ppl just like that, eh? What are you, some sort of ''oppression'' expert or what? Your statements made your case quite clear, and what exactly is your dirty little agenda. A little advice- NEVER EVER go and try to flame a big part of a continent, to push your little dirty agenda. You are pathetic! Go cry oprression somwhere else, and take your ''observations'' and shove them you know where.
And as others have said, this is pure BS, but i know your miserable kind don't like facts. Just hug your feelings of oppression and get a one-way ticket to Mars.
Would you kindly?[/quote]

You are just a bundle of wool, ain't ya, I'm sorry but when you push "your weight" around like this It makes you look pathetic, and judging on your other post, You seem like a despicable human being.
Okay you can't say you're having problem with harassment then go on to generalise like 15 different countries, how do you think they feel now you have come onto the forums and basically said you're country is an under developed culture and i'm being oppressed because of it. No that's not cool at all, you have nullified your own point in one post.

That being said misogyny isn't an issue in Overwatch It's just trolls in general. Trolls or people that flame will use whatever they can against you, weather that be sex, race nationality it doesn't matter.
I find it funny when people flame to me and start resorting to something as childish as name calling. Just mute them Blizzard put that feature there because they can't moderate every game live.

As !@#$ of a thing this is to say, this is the internet it's full of the most toxic vile people in the world, You just gotta learn to put up with it. At the end of the day it's words they don't know you as a person so their words are empty.
rudeness is a universal behavior. no nationality, race or gender determines it.
quit trying to pin it onto a certain group, and grow the !@#$ up.
it's astonishing how posts attacking OP or people admiting she's right are upvoted.
My God . Really , do ppl really have no understanding of what the Internet is? The amount of !@#$ I get daily gaming online is insane. It's apart of the competitive nature in humans. Especially when fear of physical reprisal is taken away. People talk %^-*. Girls want equality but as soon as they taste what it's like they cry about it. Mute them if you can't take the !@#$ given and play on. My missus has been gaming solidly online since cod4 and gets brutal abuse online daily like the rest of us.
Know what she does? Gives it back and or laughs.

Grow up you crybaby
10/01/2017 11:38Posted by Knifework
My God . Really , do ppl really have no understanding of what the Internet is? The amount of !@#$ I get daily gaming online is insane. It's apart of the competitive nature in humans. Especially when fear of physical reprisal is taken away. People talk %^-*. Girls want equality but as soon as they taste what it's like they cry about it. Mute them if you can't take the !@#$ given and play on. My missus has been gaming solidly online since cod4 and gets brutal abuse online daily like the rest of us.
Know what she does? Gives it back and or laughs.

Grow up you crybaby

10e says you're a white male.

The real point here is that personal attacks based on gender or relgion is strictly prohibited in the game's rules by Blizzard. Sexual harassment is also explicitly forbidden. Those doing those acts are breaking the rules and should be reported as well as suspended since they agreed to those rules when they purchased the game.
10/01/2017 16:23Posted by Talvi

Did you really have to do that?
Not your blog, nobody cares that someone said [MEAN THINGS] to you.

Men have been saying [MEAN THINGS] to each other online for decades. You want to play our games in our treehouse, fine, but don't start !@#$%ing about how we need to change the way we do things because it hurts your precious feelings.

If you don't like it, don't use a mic, or better yet: don't play.

07/01/2017 17:22Posted by Orbulon
You're brave posting this here.

That said, much like people shouldn't generalise based on gender, you shouldn't generalise based on nationality.

See, this here is exactly the problem with your tumblr mindset.

NO, you are NOT 'brave' for stating an opinion on the internet anonymously. And you are especially NOT 'brave' for whining about how someone hurt your feelings. I'm sick of your generation applauding one another every time you go to the bathroom by yourselves.
11/01/2017 02:45Posted by RUVINN
10/01/2017 16:23Posted by Talvi

Did you really have to do that?

Yes they do, whenever they get cornered in an argument their only response into start victimizing themselves while making racist and sexist attacks at everyone who's smarter than them.
You can't police people on this scale, no one can.

You have the power to mute people.

People make noises when they move their lips. It is YOUR brain that takes those noises and allows them to hurt you emotionally. Language is just a tool but it can not hurt you unless you allow it to.

You have a vayjay instead of a winkydoodle... It's not relevant to intelligent people. Are you an intelligent person? Are the people hating on you intelligent people? No? Then why are you even giving it a second thought? Don't take them seriously or mute them but for !@#$ sake don't let it hurt you on any emotional level.. it's not worth it.