The 4-5 DPS Quick Play meta

General Discussion
Might as well call it the meta because everyone's doing it.

I can't honestly be the only one that's sick of this, 9/10 games I walk into have 4 DPS heroes picked on the get go and it's just sad to see, even if it's the enemy team doing it, I'd honestly not bother supporting them since I know we're going to have a very good chance at losing.

The problem I have with it is the actual lack of team balance, sure, you have LOTS of fire power, but no defenses, no support or anything to keep you alive whilst doing it, so you're going to die like flies if the other team has a much more balanced team.

Call me meta crazy, but seeing a team with two DPS, two tanks and two healers is like christmas come early, it feels so satisfying to take part in and it just feels much more fair compared to 4 or 5 people insta picking, Genji, McCree, Soldier, Reaper, Tracer, Symmetra (ik she's a support but people use her like a DPS now) and such.

What do you guys do or think in this situation?
Why do you cry about what people pick in quick play? It's there to have fun/learn the heroes
26/01/2017 10:42Posted by Setorrs
Why do you cry about what people pick in quick play? It's there to have fun/learn the heroes

How is it fun to witness Soldier's and McCree's going in alone, dying and blaming the ONLY healer that they died?

It's not crying even, it's a concern.
And why do you cry about 4 dps comp? That means, there is a very high chance that the remaining 2 are 1tank, 1 healer. In quickplay, that should be enough to win a game ;)
(Remember the good old days the game didn't had a competitive game mode, there wasn't such thing as "meta", and every game was build on the 1Tank, 1 Healer 5 whatever heroes composition, and it worked very well?)

26/01/2017 10:49Posted by Hyogo
How is it fun to witness Soldiers and McCree's going in alone, dying and blaming the ONLY healer that they died?

Just let them do the same fail over and over again....in time, they will learn.
26/01/2017 10:50Posted by Nihil

(Remember the good old days the game didn't had a competitive game mode, there wasn't such thing as "meta", and every game was build on the 1Tank, 1 Healer 5 whatever heroes composition, and it worked very well?)

The early days of this game were so sweet. No meta this meta that and people actually talked rather than shout at each other for their picks.

In reference to the OP, if people get shouted at in competitive play about their picks and then move to quick play and encounter the same problem, what really is the point? Just sucking the fun out of the game.
I will just pick a tank to help us win "picks Roadhog"
I play quick play to avoid the meta mentality. Keep it to comp thanks.
26/01/2017 11:11Posted by Raluid
I play quick play to avoid the meta mentality. Keep it to comp thanks.

Well yes, I agree with that, the title is more of a joke since seeing 4 or 5 DPS heroes in a QP game is very common, just like seeing triple tanks in competitive.
It's clear that you'll most likely lose if you have only one tank and one healer (or worst only one healer).

Plus instalocking 4 DPS means one or two thing : you reached the hero selection screen faster and/or decided on your pick faster.

So does that mean the last picker HAS to pick healer/tank? Because you were "first"? That's just rude.

And when that guys picks a healer and none of the other 5 DPS changes to a reliable tank (as in, not Roadhog because you might as well call 4DPS + RH a 5 DPS comp), do you think he's going to have fun getting picked off over and over again?

The meta is there for a reason. It works. And it keeps your healers somewhat protected. I'm not asking for meta picks (just play a hero you enjoy), but please have a balanced team, for the sake of your healers.

You wanna play DPS and go on mad flanks while not caring at all for team composition, try Arcade. It's fun and there literally 0 pressure.
You wanna play DPS and go on mad flanks while not caring at all for team composition, try Arcade. It's fun and there literally 0 pressure.

There is zero pressure outside of comp. No need to go to the arcade. And if you are suggesting no limits then that is most definitely not a good suggestion. It's the least played mode for good reason, it's awful.

I've had some great matches where the opposition have gone full blown meta and we have gone full blown dps and wrecked them. That is what I like about QP. You never know how it's going to go.
26/01/2017 10:53Posted by Dannehkins
The early days of this game were so sweet. No meta this meta that and people actually talked rather than shout at each other for their picks.
awwwyeah sweet good old days. :)
26/01/2017 10:23Posted by Hyogo

Symmetra (ik she's a support but people use her like a DPS now)

To be fair, in the right hands she can be extremely effective in attack. She's not a straight up troll pick, even in attack.

I largely agree with you though. I've come to the realisation that for the sake of your own sanity you just have to sigh heavily and roll with it.

If you can, spot like minded players in the better matches and try to form a reliable friends list. I'm sure they'll also be grateful to add someone who at least wants to win.
I can understand it could be frustrating i myself also try to win even if its a quick play match but u can't really blame them maybe they always fill w/e is needed for the team in comp like a healer or a tank and wanna play some dps in quick play or try some new heroes out.
*inhales*
*yells "IZ JUS MATHAFAKIN QUICKPLAY!" *
*exhales*
26/01/2017 11:44Posted by Raluid
There is zero pressure outside of comp. No need to go to the arcade. And if you are suggesting no limits then that is most definitely not a good suggestion. It's the least played mode for good reason, it's awful.

Apparently there are people who feel pressured to play "meta heroes" in QP (personally I don't, but I don't like the idea of going full retard just for the fun of it).

And no, I do not suggest No Limit. It's unplayable. But Mistery Heroes and Random Brawls are still fun to play, especially if you don't care about winning or losing.

Remember QP is a good place to train/get away from the comp pressure, but you're still playing with teammates. And some of those teammates play 99% QP.
Seriously people need to stop moaning non stop about what people pick in QP. If it's comp then yes please complain to your hearts content but in QP who cares about what people choose. It's there for people to mess around and experiment for the more serious comp. Please stop these posts.
26/01/2017 11:33Posted by MintSamurai
It's clear that you'll most likely lose if you have only one tank and one healer (or worst only one healer).

Plus instalocking 4 DPS means one or two thing : you reached the hero selection screen faster and/or decided on your pick faster.

So does that mean the last picker HAS to pick healer/tank? Because you were "first"? That's just rude.

And when that guys picks a healer and none of the other 5 DPS changes to a reliable tank (as in, not Roadhog because you might as well call 4DPS + RH a 5 DPS comp), do you think he's going to have fun getting picked off over and over again?

The meta is there for a reason. It works. And it keeps your healers somewhat protected. I'm not asking for meta picks (just play a hero you enjoy), but please have a balanced team, for the sake of your healers.

having an ssd I'm usually first to pick

i pick healers a lot but hell i wanna shoot to kill some times.

healers are fun but shooting is fun too
That's why QP is pretty terrible. I only play 1/2 games in there before I play comp. I get that people don't care much in that playlist, but I'd still like at least a small chance of winning.

I mainly stick with comp, because that's where people go to actually play seriously.
If only it were QP where the 4 DPS meta existed. It's pretty much the norm on PS4 gold ranks. 4-1-1, with the occasional 5-1-0 or 3-2-1. 2-2-2 comps are like a sunny day after months of grey skies and rains.