Overwatch Story mode??

General Discussion
hey guys! Today i was sitting on my butt thinking about something i want to happen in overwatch. And its a overwatch story mode. its a pve type of thing where you can play with four people and play through the stories of overwatch. you choose a hero that u want to use on this game mode. I want there to be cut scenes, and we get a chance to like ,maybe killing the bad omnics? Boss fights, etc. Missions to do there, each mission maybe gives you like 50000 xp? i don't know. do you guys agree with me and anything that you want to add to this idea? I hope blizzard see this because i find this idea really cool, people are asking for some pve modes. Please blizzard! make this happen!!!
50000xp? That's 2.5 levels. 5 levels per 2 missions. 5 lootboxes per 2 missions. Waaaay to much xp.
03/02/2017 07:49Posted by Mystrite
50000xp? That's 2.5 levels. 5 levels per 2 missions. 5 lootboxes per 2 missions. Waaaay to much xp.
If those are a single time reward ain't that much
Sounds an awful lot like a mmo, like... hmm.. like project titan... that's weird. hmmmmmmm
I'm sure that Blizzard will NEVER add a full story mode to Overwatch.
Why?
Because simply "why?" Overwatch brings a lot of money and is successfull with the multiplayer and if they would add a story to it, it would take a lot of developement time and effort and what would make the revenue? Nothing.
You would play the story max 1 or 2 times and never touch it again. (just look how many ppl are playing Diablo 3 story mode and how successfull Battleborn was with this concept. You see now? :)
And on the other hand, a story mode the way you described is almost impossible.
Because just think about it, how a storytelling works in any book or movie or anything. You have 1 or max 3 main heroes with you can identify yourself. And you can than write the story line focused on them. If you have 20+ heroes what you can controll through the story, than the storyline would give a damn !@#$ about the hero (about yourself) That means, it would be like an MMO and the story would suck.

So I'm sure, if Blizz wants to extend the OW univers and make a story based game, that will be a totally separate title wand they will ship it as a standalone game.
03/02/2017 08:28Posted by Nihil
You would play the story max 1 or 2 times and never touch it again.

If the story is good and there are different difficulty levels (Easy, Normal, Hard, Realistic) I would replay the story a lot. Also it's not so impossible to make a story mode, It can be split into different chapters (Chapter 1: Soldier 76, Chapter 2: Ana...)
The amount of work required would be pretty insane, so I doubt anything as big as that will ever happen unless it's a separately sold game title/DLC pack.

We can always dream tho.
03/02/2017 10:58Posted by LenaOxton
You would play the story max 1 or 2 times and never touch it again.

If the story is good and there are different difficulty levels (Easy, Normal, Hard, Realistic) I would replay the story a lot. Also it's not so impossible to make a story mode, It can be split into different chapters (Chapter 1: Soldier 76, Chapter 2: Ana...)

But imagine how many characters will this game have?
Also with heroes you hate to play. So if you have 23 chapters but chapter 15 is one with a hero you hate, you don't want to play longer. Or you will force yourself to play trough that chapter but that will kill the enjoyment.
Trust me, it wouldn't bring enough profit for Blizz. It much more reasonable to use the available ressources to create new events and skins.
Id pay a full game price, 60$ for a story mode.
03/02/2017 08:12Posted by Imago
Sounds an awful lot like a mmo, like... hmm.. like project titan... that's weird. hmmmmmmm

I'm beginning to think you don't know what an MMO might actually be, he's basically asking for campaign where you earn EXP to fit in with the current style of Overwatch where these things give you loot boxes and unlocks. Nothing MMO about it, missions could honestly just be like COD only obviously however Blizzard decides to make the missions.

Also if we are speaking realistically, due to the nature of the game would actually best fit a DLC similar to that of the Walking Dead when it comes to story mode with a season pass for episodes of the game and each season being what part of the story they wish to develop because the universe of Overwatch is still clearly expanding so this is the best fit for that process.

Additionally episodes and performances and certain side objectives could reward you loot boxes not exp.

I wont ever understand why you think this is MMO style.
Not saying they wont do something MMO'ish later, but on the logical path and directions it just doesn't seem apparent to me even in the slightest.
A story mode will never happen simply because it will cost too much and thus it just won't be worth it for Blizz. If, however, there were a story mode I'd probably play it once but that's it really. Also you couldn't just choose any character to play with, there wouldn't be a story then, you would only be able to pick characters who were relevant to that particular part of the story. But anyway like I say it won't happen, guaranteed.
You know, even if not the full story, just a partial story where you still do small quests like attacking defending, in the same maps that currently exist. Right? Like in Dorado, Solider : 76 fights against a gang in that animated short right? Fighting with a team of 4 against that gang? Having them charge on you like zerg rush? Or in the last animated short, Reaper - Widowmaker - Sombra attacks Volskaya Industries? Fighting and shooting lotta solider grunts in that map? Fighting omnics in Temple of Anubis and disable the God Program thingy with a small group like in the novels? It can be a good small story stuff that can be made to enjoy and it shouldn't cost much that way. Better than getting nothing and I know a game or two in wich people doesn't get tired of playing the same maps over and over like that, I don't see why not it should be an Overwatch thing.
As others have pointed out the development time and money just isn't worth the time or effort for Blizzard, Also with only a couple of heroes getting stories the forums would be flooded with why no "x" hero story.
I enjoy the comics that give more character development to the heroes.
If they release more animations even better, but i like Overwatch as a competitive multiplayer. Also i'm a mercy main how would she work in a story mode?
Healing god awful AI until you can progress, Eugh no thanks.
I disagree with a story mode, but that's just me i know it's the unpopular opinion.
03/02/2017 13:17Posted by Nihil
03/02/2017 10:58Posted by LenaOxton

But imagine how many characters will this game have?
Also with heroes you hate to play. So if you have 23 chapters but chapter 15 is one with a hero you hate, you don't want to play longer. Or you will force yourself to play trough that chapter but that will kill the enjoyment.
Trust me, it wouldn't bring enough profit for Blizz. It much more reasonable to use the available ressources to create new events and skins.

I don't hate a single hero. I love every hero!
Imagine if Telltale games made their own Overwatch Story driven game with different choices. They've done it with lot's of other franchises so, why not Overwatch?
03/02/2017 07:49Posted by Mystrite
make sense. but i was just making a random number
03/02/2017 08:12Posted by Imago
i know but couldn't it make some stuff more fun? the game is dying, there is nothing really fun about it anymore. I just play it to rank up and stuff.
I'm sure that Blizzard will NEVER add a full story mode to Overwatch.
Why?
Because simply "why?" Overwatch brings a lot of money and is successfull with the multiplayer and if they would add a story to it, it would take a lot of developement time and effort and what would make the revenue? Nothing.
You would play the story max 1 or 2 times and never touch it again. (just look how many ppl are playing Diablo 3 story mode and how successfull Battleborn was with this concept. You see now? :)
And on the other hand, a story mode the way you described is almost impossible.
Because just think about it, how a storytelling works in any book or movie or anything. You have 1 or max 3 main heroes with you can identify yourself. And you can than write the story line focused on them. If you have 20+ heroes what you can controll through the story, than the storyline would give a damn !@#$ about the hero (about yourself) That means, it would be like an MMO and the story would suck.

So I'm sure, if Blizz wants to extend the OW univers and make a story based game, that will be a totally separate title wand they will ship it as a standalone game.
it could be an add on and you can buy it to play???