Pharah needs to change because she dictates picks.

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I keep seeing threads about Pharah being OP or not, and I figured I'd start one to discuss the problem from another angle.

Pharah dictates the enemy picks in a way no other hero does and that makes the game boring and the meta stale. This alone is enough reason to change her - Her ability to fly for most of the match forces the enemy team to pick 76, McCree or Widowmaker for at least one of their DPS picks, and no other hero can force the enemy team into such specific picks to counter them.

There's a difference between a hard counter and a mandatory counter. The former would be something like a Winston vs Genji, to keep Genji from harassing the supports, whilst the latter is when the only way to reliably stop a hero is to take specific picks - Like the need for ranged hitscan vs Pharah.

I'm not sure what could be changed to fix this issue, though perhaps reverting her jetpack/flight changes so that she's less mobile would do the trick.
Agree ... she is not op but really a fun ruiner.
Most of the time i would like to play Tracer or Genji and i can't because there is a Phara in the enemy team.

I think a good way to balance this would make her more skill based with reducing CONSISTENTLY her Splash damage and highering the direct hit .

Like 30-50 from splash and 150 - 180 for Direct hit sound fair to me.

The real issue is the fact that you can't reliable balanced her without totally destroy the hero . But my suggestion it may work

Or maybe makes her take more dmgs from projectiles while in Air so Genji and Hanzo could be playable.

Yes this game is all about to change and adapt but a pharamercy + some shields are something that need alot of picks to be changed and this is Dumb
@Dagon,

*insert thankyou.gif*

At least someone understands why it is frustrating to play against Phara.
You ain't seen my Pharah play then - Reaper is a hard counter to me... :-(
But Soldier is in every game anyway.
Well, every hero has counters, and therefore kinda "forces" picks... That's not unique to Pharah...
08/04/2017 16:03Posted by PMSanya
But Soldier is in every game anyway.

Most of the time im forced to play soldier because the enemy team " MAY HAVE " a Phara.
"sips tea"

Another one, wonderful.
08/04/2017 14:01Posted by Dagon
Pharah dictates the enemy picks in a way no other hero does

Winston -> "We need a Reaper or a Roadhog"
Widowmaker/Hanzo -> "We need a Winston or Genji"
Symmetra -> "We should get a Winston"
Sombra/Tracer/Genji -> "We need someone like a Mcree"
Orisa -> "Lol fams, we good. Everyone counters her. Go on, Mercy, go get 'er!"
Pharah -> "We need hitscan"
Revert the Ana nerf's and she will be fine again.That is the only reason Pharah is Op now.
08/04/2017 16:31Posted by Equinox

BUT! She can fly, so it's not the same! Plz Nerf
08/04/2017 16:31Posted by Equinox

Hey we're nerfing OP heroes one at a time here, wait until they nerf Pharah and then we can move on and nerf the rest of them because of their bad designs. This month's flavour is Pharah, who's next? Place your bets now and remember, the PEOPLE decide, so make your assumptions accordingly.
lel pharah op, go mcree and kill her.
People are just reinforcing my point?

Yes, plenty of heroes have counters. None force the matter quite like Pharah, though, which is the problem - Whilst you might want a Winston to counter a Genji, there are plenty of other options, whilst for a Pharah you've got to pick 76 or McCree or maybe Widow, just to stand a chance.

Pharah in her current form has too much impact on picks, because her counters are the only reliable way to deal with her. For other heroes, there are either a much wider range of counters, or a counter just deals with them more easily than other picks. For Pharah, if you're not one of her counters, you've got little chance to actually take her out.
So Pharah has 3 counters (your list kid, 76, McCree and Widow) yet others have more.
Please make us a list of counters for others.

PS: I've countered Pharah with Bastion too. That's one more, I guess. In mobile mode, with the new accuracy, he's just as deadly as soldier for Pharah.
That may be true, but Pharah is also on the recieving end of this - if someone picks soldier 76 it's almost mandatory to switch her out.

if you find yourself in that situation your team has lost already.
Winston is not a hero that forces anyone to pick Reaper or Roadhog, unless the player is seriously over-the-top good at him... everyone has a fairly easy time dealing with Winston, really, is there anyone besides Genji, McCree and Hanzo who is scared of him? :P
Sombra maybe?? anyone else?

this one is true, although very very very very rare, to the point where its not really an issue... when i meet a skilled widow or hanzo, whether they're on my team or not, the last thing on my mind is "wow that hero needs a nerf"

yeah, but that's because of her damn sentry turrets though, not Symmetra herself.. Winston is simply the hero who is most efficient at taking them out, so he is the obvious choice, but other tanks are quite capable of doing the same, but hey, why pick a knife over a gun amirite?

i've literally never run into a Sombra who has forced anyone on my team to switch..
Genji is countered big time by Winston, Zarya, Mei and Reinhardt, and plenty other heroes can deal with him fairly easily as well. Pharah has exactly 3 heroes in the entire game which can effectively deal with her, one of which is considered trash, so that makes 2.

yeah... its quite sad ;/
she'll be buffed soon enough though, and we'll look back on this and laugh at how we used to mock her.

which equals Soldier76, McCree or Widowmaker - and that's it.
08/04/2017 18:57Posted by Korrigan
So Pharah has 3 counters (your list kid, 76, McCree and Widow) yet others have more.

08/04/2017 20:36Posted by JaggSauce

Soldier 76, Mccree, Widowmaker... Bastion. D.Va is very good against Pharah (not as much against PharMercy but that isn't the argument here). Ana can assist with taking down Pharah, Mercy and Zen effortlessly improve chances of the enemy Pharah dying. Yeah, 3. :)
08/04/2017 20:54Posted by Equinox
08/04/2017 18:57Posted by Korrigan

08/04/2017 20:36Posted by JaggSauce

Soldier 76, Mccree, Widowmaker... Bastion. D.Va is very good against Pharah (not as much against PharMercy but that isn't the argument here). Ana can assist with taking down Pharah, Mercy and Zen effortlessly improve chances of the enemy Pharah dying. Yeah, 3. :)

sure if it makes you sleep at night.
08/04/2017 21:13Posted by JaggSauce
08/04/2017 20:54Posted by Equinox

sure if it makes you sleep at night.
Very grown up answer. oh wait...