We need to talk about Duplicates...

General Discussion
The Entire Overwatch Community is always going to sing praises for Blizzard giving us all a thriving new game, one with Free Updates, Free DLC and Champs and a blank template in the lore that we as the fans can help shape to our perfect little gaming world... but i'm supremely disappointed in your Loot Box System.

Grinding for the Loot boxes is a hassle.. At best we are given perhaps 3 or 4 loot boxes for a few runs on the Arcade which are relatively easy to glean after a few rounds of 3v3 but after this we have a hard grind session ahead of us to get maybe one or two per day depending on time and skill. I enjoy the excitement for a new Skin or emote, but oh my god is it an irritating few hours for practically nothing in return with all the Duplicates!

We're starting to build up a Kessler effect within the game now. With more items being added people are going to start feeling to overwhelming flood of the Dupe Storm and with such a low kickback we're going to find only a rare few in the future of this game with the coin or luck to gather together the 3000+ gold for that legendary.

I'd like to petition that Blizzard start to revise the amount of coin is returned for duplicates, because right now at an average of 15-50 coins for the most common loot, you're going to find more and more players finding themselves bombarded with super common dupe loot and only getting a meagre amount returned as more events pass

This should be a bigger issue for players like me who are happy to pay up a few bucks for extra boxes because after buying 22 Boxes and only getting a single Legendary and an Emote among a plethora of duplicates, i cant say i'm impressed.
Can quite happily agree. After 7 loot boxes in the anniversary event (not including the free one), all had at least 3 dupes, around half had all 4 as dupes. Most of the rest were voice lines and career profile icons.

As I refuse to buy lootboxes (although I'd love to have that cash), simply because my parents didn't raise me with a golden spoon in my mouth, I wonder if the new skins are even attainable. For every person that spends £20+ on loot boxes, they'd have saved money just having it all in guaranteed downloadable content.

It's no surprise that Blizzard are known for their love of "you don't have to, but we know you'd like to" purchase features.

I envy all of you who can spend £30+ per event on different cosmetics.
as the increase in existing legendaries are rolled its definitely become incredibly disappointing for me as well. Look, if they are going to make the dedicated players open up a million loot boxes to get jack in duplicate gold so that it takes 9 times the amount it would take to buy 1 non event legedary then I won't spend anymore money. almost every event ive spent at minimum $20 but this newest event i was completely screwed. i received one of the event legendary skins, and received about 2000 gold. I then basically received every epic from non events that I didnt have, and a decent amount of epics from the new event, but all in all, i would trade every epic that i have to 2 legendary skins because at this point, that is what im pushing for on here. When i pay 20 dollars and get one legendary skin, I quit hoping or another one in the boxes....
I've opened 10 crates and all have been blues, then my brother opens 2 and gets 2 legendary skins lmao. I get it's all based on chance but it's like opening a pack of trading cards and not getting dat 1 shiny in the pack.

But in all honestly the crates are as I said all based on chance, so there is x chance you will get legendary, x chance for y, etc. Eventually you will get the legendary skins you so desire, it will even out due to the law of averages :D
I'm level 1400. There's no such thing as a lootbox without all dupes in most cases :) And 11 lootboxes into this event, not one legendary and only 2 dance emotes. Le sigh.
This is precisely what i mean. God forbid the OW team add new default stuff that isn't tied to any of the Event System, we'd end up in a situation where there would be double or even triple the duplicates out there to find.

It wouldn't be such a problem if there was a fair return on the LB dupes, but at 30'000 coins for the 10 legendary skins alone that is an impossibly hard climb for any player to make at this moment in time. As a self professed Junkrat and Symmetra main i shudder at the thought of a potential "Super-Legendary" coming out (And, lets face it, it'll happen) with a price well beyond that 3000 mark
Blizzard loves RNG, they've married themselves to RNG and they ravel in RNG. Just look at Diablo 3 and now WoW, WoW was a bit RNG before but in Legion it's RNG galore in there, there's even RNG in your RNG so you can RNG while you RNG.

It's all a business module and a bit of a cheap one to be honest, they know some people really want the cosmetics and they know that a lot of players are susceptible to break their bank to get it, and what's someone's broken bank is Blizzard's filled bank. It's a shady practice that F2P games have used for a long time, take Rift per example, so horribly gimped if you don't pay that you can't even get enough XP to finish one zone and be high enough level to enter the next zone so you have to either grind or buy XP pots that magically gives you enough XP to finish the zone.

It's understandable that they want to earn money, but the loot box system is a bit ridiculous with all the duplicates raining in. Not only do you stand a chance getting all the regular ones but also the event ones you've already gotten. And all equates to clinging money in Blizzard's bank.
I like it as is.

On 2 legendary event skins and 2 dances so far from free loot boxes.

It's free guys, unless you REALLY NEED OR WANT THISE COSMETICS, in which case you "can" buy more chances.

But with the pool of items getting larger, the individual percentage chance is getting smaller. It's just how RNG loot systems work.

But I have like 4k hours in diablo 3, so my RNG tolerance is super high.

Blizzard, the system is fine, these kids just don't understand that in 3 years when they are playing they would regret having a "softcore mode" for obtaining items they want.
25/05/2017 10:20Posted by Quasidrake
This is precisely what i mean. God forbid the OW team add new default stuff that isn't tied to any of the Event System, we'd end up in a situation where there would be double or even triple the duplicates out there to find.

It wouldn't be such a problem if there was a fair return on the LB dupes, but at 30'000 coins for the 10 legendary skins alone that is an impossibly hard climb for any player to make at this moment in time. As a self professed Junkrat and Symmetra main i shudder at the thought of a potential "Super-Legendary" coming out (And, lets face it, it'll happen) with a price well beyond that 3000 mark
Not really, I have 22k right now. Just by simply never buying non-event items and only ever waiting until the end of the event to buy loot boxes or cosmetics.
It would be nice if event duplicates would at least give proper amount of credits as compensation. Played whole day (~10 hours) non-stop yesterday and only got one event legendary, which was the same I already had.. so only 200 credits.

Sure I have enough credits to purchase the skins I absolutely want, but with some events being so darn tightly close to each other, using all credits on one event isn't that tempting.
Blizzard should give everyone a pony and a lifetime supply of pancakes.
I think a good solution to this is people getting credits for playing games. Nothing huge or major, just some kind of cash flow other than Boxes. Maybe like 15 for a loss and 50 for a win in QP/Arcade and Double for Competitive.

Assuming you won every single comp game you played (lol), it would take you about 30 games to get 1 legendary skin, each game being on average 15 minutes, that turns about to be about 8 hours of grinding and significantly longer when you lose, which is bound to happen.. That would let people grind out money before events much easier as we'd get them just by playing the game.

P.S. I bought 50 lootboxes and got 2 legendaries I did not want and a handful of dance emotes I also did not want. Maybe they changed the drop rates?
25/05/2017 12:08Posted by Mojo
I think a good solution to this is people getting credits for playing games. Nothing huge or major, just some kind of cash flow other than Boxes. Maybe like 15 for a loss and 50 for a win in QP/Arcade and Double for Competitive.

Assuming you won every single comp game you played (lol), it would take you about 30 games to get 1 legendary skin, each game being on average 15 minutes, that turns about to be about 8 hours of grinding and significantly longer when you lose, which is bound to happen.. That would let people grind out money before events much easier as we'd get them just by playing the game.

P.S. I bought 50 lootboxes and got 2 legendaries I did not want and a handful of dance emotes I also did not want. Maybe they changed the drop rates?

I think you're missing the point here. The point is Blizzard making money. Why would they make changes to the game that would make them less money?!
25/05/2017 12:19Posted by Syrona
I think you're missing the point here. The point is Blizzard making money. Why would they make changes to the game that would make them less money?!

I get that, but when you pay 40 euro and get nothing in return that's not really any incentive for me to buy lootboxes. I rarely bought lootboxes but I have for the past 2 events. After having 40 euro wasted on this event with 0 return, I won't be purchasing them anymore so they'd be making less money from me & other like minded people.

There's always a good gap between events so I'll just save up and buy what I want with credits at the end of the event instead. Less of a let down and I ensure I get what I want with no cost to me.

But if they are less inclined to add what I stated above, they could increase drop rates for the event items from purchased lootboxes only. I'd buy them if that were the case.

Because when you shell out 35GBP for 50 extra rolls and get duplicate after duplicate after duplicate your desire to buy for the next one falters. Look at it this way... With this most current Event we have 11 Skins, 25 Sprays. 48 Voices, 24 Emotes and the new player icons Add to this the Defaults Emotes, Sprays, Icons, etcetera and you get a rough idea of how the odds are stacked against you EVEN when those extra crates are in your hands

When the system is so heavilly rigged against the players people will start to speak through thier wallets and just stop giving money. Why would anyone pay £35 to get the same skins, emotes and god knows how many icones and sprays with pittance as a recompense?

Here's what you're getting for those duplicates
  • Common :: 5
  • Rare :: 15
  • Epic :: 50
  • Legendary :: 200
  • Its insulting to be given 15 coins 4 times over again and again.. and its a system that will get players to close thier banks to OW
    I am still pretty surprised when i open a box, cause I got less than half of all stuff (30-35 for each charact except last one) and I always got 3-4 duplicates on each box.

What the !@#$ ?? I think I would memorize all my loot, and come again on this forum with stats about my chance. Maybe Im just unlucky. Or maybe, we have more chance to get a duplicate, than a new skin/portrait/...
    Well, Blizzard spoke of other uses for competitive points, let us buy loot boxes with them, or better lootboxes that have bonuses to legendary rolls.

I have over 3000 and with the season end reward coming, it could be a cool way to burn through points.
    This event I have gotten more dupes than ever before, I know obviously I have more of the items, but buying 50 boxes and most of it is dupes and I have to end up using the coins to buy the items I really want anyways, makes me kind of sad.

I suggest blizzard makes "standard" loot drop less during events, and more of the event stuff during the event. I WILL stop buying lootboxes if this continues, and I don't want that, because I like this game and want to support it.

That depends on if you are relying on customers or gamblers. Customers will never pay more regardless of what they get in the lootboxes. At worst they will instead quit and you lost the income.

Gamblers on the other hand are perfect to give lootboxes with this system to, as they will spend up to $10 000 just to get their skin. Now it is a question if you should actually encourage gamblers to waste all their money and live on noodles.

I've paid what I had in mind for this event. I did not get what I wanted. So the end result is that I think Blizzard suck, and am closer to quitting. In no way did blizzard benefit from this.
    So far gotten the new D.va skin 3 times :|, I don't play D.va.