Summer games items should stay exclusive

General Discussion
Recently it seems likely we will receive some sort of summer games event with a re-release of the summer games skins. If this does happen then the people like myself who paid in upward of $300 bucks will feel completely ripped off! As there was no option to buy any skins as they were all exclusive to loot boxes only, Which forced us to either keep spending money to receive the item we needed or you just miss out all together.

I do realise some people did spend a lot of money and missed out because of dupes which is very unfortunate :( I myself spent an additional $180 after spending $300 just to get the Lucio juggle emote which for some reason never dropped even after 300 bucks.
agree i hope they are just doing new season 2 skins and not bring the old one back
To my knowledge, the Idea behind the event skins was to make them come back the next year, giving those who didn't get them a chance to try and acquire them. By paying an absurd amount of money, you have gotten it a year earlier. Some might not even get them the next time it is around, so, you should be good.

The current system is unfair enough. If the skins never came back, wouldn't you agree that It would make it practically impossible to get anything without spending, well, as much money as you did?
Jeff Kaplan:
Our Summer Games are on a yearly schedule -- not a 4 year schedule. Our plan would be to have the items available again when the event recurs. Perhaps we add new content to it as well? We're not sure yet... we're seeing what works and what doesn't.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747905428?page=7#post-134

As somebody who spent quite a bit of money last year during the event, I'm OK with them bringing them back.
Well papa kaplan said they would return with more but im not sure if they will be purchasable since papa kaplan said he wants them to be exclusive. But we can only hope for the best.
28/05/2017 10:03Posted by JahRasta
Recently it seems likely we will receive some sort of summer games event with a re-release of the summer games skins. If this does happen then the people like myself who paid in upward of $300 bucks will feel completely ripped off! As there was no option to buy any skins as they were all exclusive to loot boxes only, Which forced us to either keep spending money to receive the item we needed or you just miss out all together.

I do realise some people did spend a lot of money and missed out because of dupes which is very unfortunate :( I myself spent an additional $180 after spending $300 just to get the Lucio juggle emote which for some reason never dropped even after 300 bucks.

It would be unfair to lock skins completely from new players and free to play players (other than buying the game) as there is no other way to get them. It's not like csgo where you can trade, all items are stuck to your account basically meaning they are worthless anyway. It's not Blizzards or the player bases fault you spend $480 on virtual goods you cant even sell or trade.
If this does happen then the people like myself who paid in upward of $300 bucks will feel completely ripped off!

Did $300 improve your performance in the game in anyway?

If not it is just useless junk you spent your money.
I'm still waiting to unlock Nihon here after the summer games shall show up, the skins would be quite unfair then since you literally had to put your chances up to RNG to either get that one desired skin or get junk. So I believe that a lot of people would be upset if they had made the decision to make them more ''exclusive'' due not even being sure of getting something that you want because you couldn't even buy them with coins back then.
I'd rather they were one off's, during that time only.

Seems a bit pointless to play an event, get a reward like that if you can do the same thing for the same reward a year later.

It's nice to actually have "rare" items that other people can no longer get, makes doing the events worth while.
Why you wona players who didnt play this game before to not get skins from past? I dont get it, there are just skins. They have no cost themself, you cant sell then unless you hope to sell your account to someone who wona have that skins. (idk if that legal)
So you play last year on this event soo others who didnt bought game before are worse? Thats opinion from players who wona skins to never come back?
And if you spend money on loot thats your choise, thats not explain why others cant get it in random drop next year.
I garee with OP! O.k. it's stupid to spend that much money on lootboxes, but rerolling the event specific skins? It's just stupid recycling. Than why not releasing them permanently? I buy about 20 lootboxes in every event. But if they rerelease the old ones...I will stop doing this. Because the motivation to buy lootboxes will just disappear. So it would be a bad business step.

So selfish its sad.
Who on earth blows 450 bucks on friggin' cosmetics in a game?! With that much money you'd be better of buying other games to play alongside OW, or even multiples of OW for smurfing purposes.
29/05/2017 00:05Posted by Alon
Who on earth blows 450 bucks on friggin' cosmetics in a game?! With that much money you'd be better of buying other games to play alongside OW, or even multiples of OW for smurfing purposes.

Personally speaking i'm more than happy to support a game i enjoy (And the company behind it) by opening my wallet to drop twenty bucks or so in their hand. I consider it a form of E-tipping. I approve of the game and the service provided.. especially when the service provider goes above and beyond to keep the game as pleasant as possible... the hacking and botting swarm could have been so much worse with any other company.

But i agree with Alon. Spending this much for prestige cosmetics is insane, however i dont entirely blame the end user. Younger players are well known these days for pumping out exorbitant amounts for cosmetics on all platforms... and with OW its no different. The shiny new skins which are "Limited time only" and the pull of the gambling system plays into it too. If players are shelling out hundreds of dollars or pounds and getting nothing but a tsunami of duplicates it might be time for papa Kap to reconsider either the monetary kickback for duplicates, the percentile that determines dupe drops themselves or a secondary measure which allows players to earn gold while in play
i hope they add them, i started ow just after the summer event with the free weekend then bought the game. i was so sad i missed the event and have been waiting almost an entire year to finally get that sweet epic summer d.va skin for my main. not bringing them back is highly unfair, but pehaps they can add them back at a cheaper cost; and bring new skins for the regular event price.
If you look up the definition of the word "Seasonal" it answers your question.

"relating to or happening during a particular period in the year"

Literary speaking, this implies that every event is going to be recurrent, year by year. Just like Scream Fortress in TF2 for instance.