Linear Ramp and Aim Curves

Blizzard Archive
Hi,

Please find below a message from Tim Ford, our Lead Engineer, about Linear Ramp and Aim Curves:

I’d like to clear up some confusion about the difference between Linear and Exponential Ramp as well as announce some new options you can leverage to fine tune your aim. I’ve read a few posts that assume Exponential Ramp yields a exponentially higher turn rate than Linear when the aim stick is fully deflected. This is a reasonable assumption, since an exponential curve will yield a higher result than a linear curve for values greater than 1. However, the goal of Exponential Ramp is to map a sensitive aim stick to a restrained aim value. We achieve this goal by mapping linear input to exponential values over the range from 0 to 1. The exponential ramp values we are concerned with fall into the region of the curve boxed in the following image:
http://imgur.com/fiGfLpI
Your input is constrained from 0 to 1 where 0 is the value at the tip of the dead zone (usually about 20-25% stick deflection) and 1 is fully deflected. The dead zone is computed with the scaled radial technique explained here (http://www.third-helix.com/2013/04/12/doing-thumbstick-dead-zones-right.html). Linear Ramp uses this value to compute your aim turn rate. Exponential Ramp scales this value (roughly) by a power of 2.5. So, a Linear Ramp input of 0.25 will map to an Exponential Ramp input of 0.03125. A Linear Ramp input of 0.75 will map to an Exponential Ramp input of 0.4871. Naturally, a Linear Ramp input of 1.0 will map to an Exponential Ramp input of 1.0. Incidentally, Exponential Ramp is “roughly” a power of 2.5 because it’s actually a hand drawn curve we borrowed from our generous friends on the Call of Duty team.
Today, we give you two choices for input curve mapping, Linear and Exponential Ramp (Dual-Zone is technically linear as well). Of course, there are a whole family of possible curves between linear and our current exponential (and beyond). In an upcoming patch, we will add an option called Aim Ease In. This is a slider option from 0 to 100 that corresponds to an exponent from 1 to 5 respectively. Combined with Linear Ramp, this option will allow you to select a wide range of curves to map your aim input to your taste.
http://imgur.com/MzZZKNL
Aim Ease In is compatible with Exponential Ramp and Dual Zone, although you should expect a fairly compressed aim curve if you crank this option with Exponential Ramp.
What
Thank you, nice explanation!
eli5?
Really unhappy with the new aim ease in option.
Instead of fixing linear ramps jumpy input, you have given us the option to turn it into a custom expo ramp. Ok fine. Everyone like me who wants to use 1:1 linear input is still stuck with a system ruined by brief consistent high output when moving the stick from its resting position.
It means you can't adjust your crosshairs if they are on target without veering off target. That shouldn't happen and given how slowly you can move your crosshairs after the stick has been moved from its default position, I'm left wondering why it does happen?
Custom expo ramp isn't the answer to linear ramps one problem so I'm still left waiting.
Lads, this is all so confusing, I spent hours trying to get my aim settings back to normal. The linear ramp is still not working correctly, you can now smooth it out using aim ease in but the issue of the huge dead zones still makes it unplayable
04/09/2017 12:46Posted by ShadowStorm
Lads, this is all so confusing, I spent hours trying to get my aim settings back to normal. The linear ramp is still not working correctly, you can now smooth it out using aim ease in but the issue of the huge dead zones still makes it unplayable

The more I play the more I notice this is true, the deadzone is still there. The only thing the aim ease does is make the zone wider lol.
my frend and i resently played a game of overwatch comp we got in it was temple of anubis attack and we loaded in and chose a carektor but my frend was stil in loding screen its like a glitch i thing kus i have exberienst it to but et ended of with him getting kiked for inaktevety but he wasent inaktive so he got a competetive colldown and im sitting here like ftw
17/09/2017 10:22Posted by Flæskedude
my frend and i resently played a game of overwatch comp we got in it was temple of anubis attack and we loaded in and chose a carektor but my frend was stil in loding screen its like a glitch i thing kus i have exberienst it to but et ended of with him getting kiked for inaktevety but he wasent inaktive so he got a competetive colldown and im sitting here like ftw
jef pls
This is a console/gamepad related thing right? otherwise i don't really understand whats going on...
17/09/2017 10:22Posted by Flæskedude

English translation: My friend and I recently played a game of Overwatch competitive. When we entered into it (Anubis attack), I chose a character; and yet my friend was still in a loading screen. I have reason to believe, as a matter of a posteriori understanding, that, with him having been kicked for inactivity, it was a malfunction in the games (generally well-optimized) code. Now I sit here pondering with many an expletive being uttered within the confines of my lexicon.
Seems like you just cant work out how to console movement in this game. Suggest you get help from Destiny and COD more. I personally though have found great improvement with the Aim Ease In and exponential ramp. Linear is still way too strong movement and doesnt seem to be linear at all. Dual zone worked well for a long time for me but seems a bit jerky now but Aim Ease In seems to disrupt it more. Expo though works deliciously for me now with Aim Ease in.
*Cough* PC Master race *cough*
we need to have an option where its like pc, just one sensitivity throughout. Thats all, i hate this thing where suddenly your aim changes and then it messes you up