Silence penalty hurting Competitive Toughts?

Competitive Discussion
There are few reasons for this;
Silenced players are forced to Poor teamwork. They cannot communicate in a game communication is the key to win. So they get more reports. And while trying to win, they are forced to do things they think is right. But team doesnt know so they think silenced player is throwing the game. That causes further reports. Most of the time, team starts throwing&tilting themselves, so they get reported. And people get reports for using ingame commands alot "ineedhealing" cuz they have no other way to communicate. This annoys healers they switch off healers.

You usually cant appeal it even if you are kind most of the time, because when your reports reach the number that gets you banned, you are in argument %99.9 of the time. And propably criticising, maybe using f word in a heated argument, whatever. You cannot appeal it even if you are kind and productive person or trying to be. And dont forget many people cant take criticism or suggestion, take it as offense and report.

This is all happening because blizzard wanting to seem like they are acting on reports. But you dont see trolls get banned. You see people get silenced for very little.

I am completely ok with temp ban from competitive. I dont want it, I dont like my speech to be policed by governments or corporations, but atleast its logical. Theres no need to punish everyone who plays with silenced players. People have their own option to mute or squelch people. Which is a step easier action than reporting. This is wrong in many ways.
so no ideas?
I agree, that a slience, is very stupid punishment, as it also punishes the team you are playing with, while you are silenced. My suggestion would be to just go with a temporary ban, although I do not have the feeling, that people are being silenced for very little, since I still encounter quite a lot of toxic people.
13/11/2017 02:02Posted by mallemuh
I do not have the feeling, that people are being silenced for very little, since I still encounter quite a lot of toxic people.

That is because it is the most toxic & childish ones that report. The guy who loses it here and there and understand this is competitive game, doesnt bother.
re
13/11/2017 11:53Posted by Maera
That is because it is the most toxic & childish ones that report.

This isn't necessarily true. I report literally everyone that's being rude in chat/voice comms, because if I'm able to get through a game without insulting anyone (and I already hate most people), then surely they can. It's not that difficult to be courteous.

I've only seen people call for a report on me once (I was having some kind of fluke godlike day on Hanzo and they called for an aimbotting report on me)...but I often see a lot people calling for the reporting of rude and offensive people.

Reporting will actually work if the majority of people weren't too lazy to do it, or think that it doesn't do anything.

It's exactly the same as voting...the more people do it, the more effective it becomes.
I think that people who have been silenced probably didn't have anything constructive to say anyways. And if they did, they are probably inteligent enough to stop ranting after their first silence.
15/11/2017 14:44Posted by StrycTom
inteligent enough to stop ranting after their first silence.

First time i got silenced, i ticketed, altho i must ve said faaaar worse stuff thru my ow time, i got silenced for using "WTF" and "useless people are useless". both are not directed at anyone particularly. One is just fword(i literally typed WTF, not fword completely) one is a statement. which is inevitably fact and general statement not directed particular teammate.

It never effected how i interact with people at all. Cuz i havent been silenced for worse. I got collective reports from friendgroups. system got abused to the point, i got silenced with very simple thing at the end. I admit i do criticise with sharp words or use fword here and there and also be on the receiving end. Usually am. But im usually focused on winning and teamwork. And %95 of my games are pleasant experience as team. Should i be silenced?

15/11/2017 14:44Posted by StrycTom
I think that people who have been silenced probably didn't have anything constructive to say anyways.

Thats not the case most of the times. And doesnt need to be. All a teammate needs to do is communicate whats going on with the game then someone can be their own person. Preferably constructive. If i dont like it i can mute it or squelch him.
You should not always palaver or suck up to people. This is competitive game and people get heated very often. If stubborn tracer is not switching and blaming rest of the team, with no hope of convince, you dont need to be constructive. Thats personal decision. Its easier to mute and move on than report.

15/11/2017 14:27Posted by Nharzhool
I've only seen people call for a report on me once (I was having some kind of fluke godlike day on Hanzo and they called for an aimbotting report on me)...but I often see a lot people calling for the reporting of rude and offensive people.

So it happens. Also, what percentage of those people calling for report being rude themselves? And what means being offensive? what are the lines of it? You realize how easily people get offended by anything? its a miracle humans dont kill each other in recent years i dont know what happened to western society. Offenium element got into water supply.

15/11/2017 14:27Posted by Nharzhool
Reporting will actually work if the majority of people weren't too lazy to do it, or think that it doesn't do anything.

Which gets me to second time i was silenced. I had enough of onetricks, I decided to give it a shot for the first time. I started each game talking to my team very kindly, informing them what im doing what im doing,regardless im trying to win, please work with me.Most of the time they refused and we argued alot . This took like half a day iunno like 20 games at most. I was trying to be kind, but got trashtalked to the point, i must ve slipped here and there. fu, screw you and whatnot on that level. People have raped my entire family, future relatives and everything for several hours to bring it out of me. Remember, i was prepared to be kind against everything, but overwhelmed. (this was prior to new rules about onetricks and it was experiment i might ve effected this new rule, sorry bout that new rule is wrong in many ways)
Did i learn to be kind? I was already trying but its impossible to maintain it all the time. Will i change anything? no, i will be who i am, %95 of my games will be very pleasant, and there will be arguments here and there. And next time it happens, i get 24 days silence and 24 days of torture for anyone i get in game with.

Why those people needs to be punished? They have nothing to do with this but now stuck with silenced teammate. That does his own stuff for who knows what.

Like i said, i dont like speech being policed by governments or corporations, You can use what we old gamers have been using for longer than a decade. Ignore, mute, squelch, leave channels. It works like miracle. But if someone needs revenge, if hes that petty, and blizzard wants to seem like they are taking action on reports, atleast temporary ban would be better solution. That is the main point.
Completely agree. It's just so much harder to win when you're silenced. Also your team is at a huge disadvantage, when one player cannot communicate. You already have squelch chat, mute and block... I understand being toxic and abusive towards others is a really bad thing and shouldn't happen, but oh my god do people report you easily for just having an "annoying voice".

This automation of abusive chat report silences needs to end, it's gotten to a point of ridicilous proportions.
12/11/2017 11:10Posted by Maera
Silenced players are forced to Poor teamwork. They cannot communicate in a game communication is the key to win. So they get more reports. And while trying to win, they are forced to do things they think is right. But team doesnt know so they think silenced player is throwing the game. That causes further reports. Most of the time, team starts throwing&tilting themselves, so they get reported. And people get reports for using ingame commands alot "ineedhealing" cuz they have no other way to communicate. This annoys healers they switch off healers.

You usually cant appeal it even if you are kind most of the time, because when your reports reach the number that gets you banned, you are in argument %99.9 of the time. And propably criticising, maybe using f word in a heated argument, whatever. You cannot appeal it even if you are kind and productive person or trying to be. And dont forget many people cant take criticism or suggestion, take it as offense and report.

This is all happening because blizzard wanting to seem like they are acting on reports. But you dont see trolls get banned. You see people get silenced for very little.

I am completely ok with temp ban from competitive. I dont want it, I dont like my speech to be policed by governments or corporations, but atleast its logical. Theres no need to punish everyone who plays with silenced players. People have their own option to mute or squelch people. Which is a step easier action than reporting. This is wrong in many ways.

Fully agree. Silencing is moronic at best. It's like giving pro players ankle cuffs for anklecuffs but then forcing them to play soccer with the general population.

Temp ban from competetive.
Alternatively borrow from DOTA and make it so you must play so many games of casual while recieving no more reports and WIN a certain amount of games in casual to get back to competitive.

The only thing about DOTAS system I don't like is that it forces you to play from a MASSIVLEY reduced pool of characters. Don't do that but the rest of the punishment system is perfect for overwatch. They need to be more heavy handed without pissing off too many people because it'd a pay to play game

The silencing thing is a copout.
I said this ages ago, I got a 48 hour silence due to a 3 stack who trolled me all game because I chose zarya who said they would all report me multiple times because "they could" sure as !@#$ I was silenced 5 mins later. What I found though was that it just impacted every single person I played with thereafter, as I couldn't communicate with them.

Its almost like Blizzard want the idiots and trolls to succeed.
Abusive chat should be banned instead of silenced.

Silence is no deterrence.
12/11/2017 11:10Posted by Maera

Agree, they should ban them from Comp altogether.
I can not but agree over the stupidity of this sort of punishment and quote myself from another post on the subject;

"I can not believe why an effective report system was not in place at the release of the game it should have been the priority seeing how other games look and the actions they have taken to prevent misbehavior and the causes of it. If anything the experience from those games should have worked as an indicator of what had to be done from the start. They did not implement those systems for naught, but for a reason. Blizzard are so hopelessly behind when it comes to dealing with bad behavior and no further actions to improve are being implemented. I am mean what is silence even? Others already tried it and they removed it for the very obvious reason it only caused further misbehavior, frustration and limited team communication! This was done years ago in other games, years! Like it should not even be considered to be used in overwatch that released merely two years ago! It was so ineffective and bad of a punishment to use that other developers removed it from their game. That if anything speaks volumes, volumes.

A swift suspension is the only way to foster improvement, and even than you can not have an auto-ban system! I mean it is ridiculous people getting silenced for taunting their opponents a bit after a win. I mean imagine that, if a professional athlete that always likes to jabb each other from time to time got fined and punished every time they said something like "hahah i really got you today, you slow poke, better run faster next time" that is literally the level of taunting people got silenced for. I mean are you serious? Is this game supposed to be played by 3 year old? If than just add a vanity filter and censur out half the English vocabulary. Ez done. Problem solved for you. Less salty overly easily offended people. But yea i guess a bunch of ****** will trigger them as well, coz you know that is how morons work! Yet you accommodate these people with the methods of delivering punishment through bots."