Half the OWL contenders are Korean

Competitive Discussion
First off kudos to the new interface and colourings for the teams. I tried to get into this e-sport scene a bit more as a viewer but I don't feel like I can connect to any team. No team really represents whatever city they are supposed to come from.

London Spitfire, New York Excelsior? All Koreans. Isn't it mighty weird to have no Brit in the London team? Will this turn into normal sports where teams just buy players from abroad for a large sum of money?

Anyone else have this problem?

Teams + players: https://overwatchleague.com/en-gb/players
11/01/2018 17:20Posted by Gelix
large sum of money?

I quoted the important part of your post
I agree. I have much respect for the Korean people, no insults or racism intended - but - it's hard to get excited about any particular team or particular player because they are just all teams made up of Koreans that I don't know. Even if it would just be Seoul crushing every team, so be it. I wanna see these teams representing their city/region/country/whatever. Why even have city names?
11/01/2018 22:51Posted by ƗNV
Why even have city names?

I agree. I don't care where they come from... Just don't lie to me and say its "London Spitfire" Just call your team "Spitfire"(or whatever they like) and I'd be cool.

London Spitfire, New York Excelsior? All Koreans. Isn't it mighty weird to have no Brit in the London team? Will this turn into normal sports where teams just buy players from abroad for a large sum of money?

Yes, its definitely weird. London Spitfire is very strong and has a good chance of finishing high in OWL (because it has Koreans) but I don't see any brits connecting with this team. In fact I was sure this plan of having a full Korean roster play at times when almost no British person with a job will be able to watch them live, was doomed from the start. I have enough British friends and been to London enough many times to have an understanding of British mentality. If there is one nation that cheers mostly its own countrymen, it is Great Britain. Thats my opinion.

However, they recently hired the british streamer Stylosa to make the Spitfire "more british". I don't think its going to work. what do you think? Stylosa is a huge fan of overwatch so he will jump at the opportunity to be involved with OWL no matter what, but honestly I don't know whats going to change..

https://youtu.be/PPme5cIZ70o

I have six of my countrymen in OWL in five different teams (I'm Finnish) so I have plenty to follow and cheer for. In addition I've been a fan of Envyus (current Dallas Fuel) for a long time.

Them representing US cities? Couldn't care less.
Why are Koreans so much better? Is there some real explanation?
12/01/2018 12:27Posted by FatalTJ
Why are Koreans so much better? Is there some real explanation?

They take training seriously. For example Effect plays couple hours of aim training games with a specific routine, custom games and qp before he plays comp, every day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OverwatchUniversity/comments/6gj9ac/envyus_effects_warm_up_routine/

Compare to western players who play more for fun, play with a single hero and expect to be good at other heroes naturally.

The thing that boggles my mind how many people play like garbage with 6 solo dps in QP, and expect this somehow prepares them for comp. That they can just play dps all day and somehow expect to be good at support/tanks or teamwork.

The difference in why Koreans are better is in the mentality.
As a Brit I still wouldn't feel more attached to the London Spitfire if they had a handful of British players, or even a full British roster. What's strange at the moment is that the teams aren't based in their respective cities. Everyone is playing in LA. I don't see how teams can really represent cities if they're only wearing the nametag but sport little else to differentiate themeselves as 'hometeams'.

Nonetheless I'm rooting for the London team. I'm happy to learn about some new playersand buy their skins in game.

On a side note: Dallas has no Texans, but I've not heard anyone questioning their right to be called the Dallas Fuel.
12/01/2018 14:14Posted by ƁŖIƓĦTƁOY
On a side note: Dallas has no Texans, but I've not heard anyone questioning their right to be called the Dallas Fuel.

Monte did during his cast of the event. I object. I believe they should leave location out of the whole thing. I picked my team based on team colours after I found out that next to no team actually represents the location they claim to.

We are just using the Spitfires as an example because for me (a Brit) I wanted to check out my "local" team. So it was the first one I investigated.
12/01/2018 10:51Posted by Bloodartist
I have six of my countrymen in OWL in five different teams (I'm Finnish) so I have plenty to follow and cheer for. In addition I've been a fan of Envyus (current Dallas Fuel) for a long time.

Them representing US cities? Couldn't care less

So you admit that location of the team mean very little to you. So why do they even mention the location of a team at all if its just a lie or PR action to get a region of people to support that team.

I refuse to support a team that is falsely representing a region. I would be more than happy to support the London Spitfires IF there was a arena that they would play at in a round of locations.

For example. If all the teams had a "home ground" that blizzard moved to each month or whatever. That way I could see that they will be casting from London and say "hey, why not take a weekend off work and go so my local team?" But they are not my local team, not because they are Korean but because they have no base in the UK or even Europe.
12/01/2018 14:50Posted by Furious

I refuse to support a team that is falsely representing a region.

What makes it "false"?
12/01/2018 15:27Posted by Bloodartist
What makes it "false"?

They don't have a home in London. They have nothing to do with London. As I outlined in my post.

12/01/2018 14:50Posted by Furious
For example. If all the teams had a "home ground" that blizzard moved to each month or whatever. That way I could see that they will be casting from London and say "hey, why not take a weekend off work and go so my local team?" But they are not my local team, not because they are Korean but because they have no base in the UK or even Europe.

So that is what makes it false in my opinion. I have nothing against Koreans playing for a London team. To make my argument I will draw a parallel with Football. Lets look at a team like Manchester United for example. They have a base in Manchester. Their team has many non-British players, which is fine! But they have a home ground in Manchester. If I started a team and called it New York Killahs, based in the UK, isn't that false? I have nothing to do with New York and I would be falsely representing New York. Not because I am British but because I don't have a single thing to do with New York.
How about Florida Mayhem where the players are from Finland so that it's abbreviation is "FI" to make people think FL ....
i streamed the London Spitfire game for the first time and was quite surprised to see a bunch of Korean guys representing my city.

i wasn't expecting to see a group of cockney geezers stroll out to a Chas & Dave song but i did expect there to be a Londoner or two in there somewhere.

i s'pose when you think about it, it's just the same as a premier league team, their players are representing the club and it's location but not many (if any) are local,
so why should e-sports be any different?
I live in Houston, Texas.

Houston Outlaws are 6 Koreans from Seoul

They play home games in LA

They are not sponsored by Houston whatsoever, their funding is from a company based in Sacramento

???
13/01/2018 00:08Posted by Falcon

Houston Outlaws are 6 Koreans from Seoul

I think you got your teams mixed up. Theres not a single Korean player in Houston Outlaws. Outlaws actually has the highest number of US players (seven) out of all OWL teams in it, lol.

(Muma, Bani, clockwork, boink, Jake, Rawkus, Coolmatt)

The rest holds true.

12/01/2018 22:00Posted by McLovin

i s'pose when you think about it, it's just the same as a premier league team, their players are representing the club and it's location but not many (if any) are local,
so why should e-sports be any different?

Kind of like this.

However, at least Premier league teams have a home stadium in the area they represent. As long as EU teams are playing in California, theres not even the slightest connection in my opinion.
Are they not called their respective location names because that's where the team owners are based?
Its stupid and ridiculous.

Drop the city names immediately. They serve no purpose other than to confuse and alienate. Just call them by their names e.g. Fuel, Outlaw etc.

There isn't even an African city in there, so as usual, Blizzard has alienated an entire continent in true Donald Trump style.
14/01/2018 05:10Posted by GWd
Are they not called their respective location names because that's where the team owners are based?

Jack Etienne, the owner of Cloud 9 and the London spitfires respectfully, is American. He's from San Fran. My question is why couldn't they reach out to the higher tier British players and let them have the damn choice to join or not. Yea, we're probably not going to have a team of top500's but SURELY it would have been more honest and more sporting to have allowed the best of british to represent britain.

I have nothing against the Koreans, but i do not feel represented by a team that comes from halfway around the world and does not speak my language. Period. This was a blatant lie in my opinion by Overwatch. This isn't a league, its a chance for puffed up popinjays and thier overhyped korean teams to get MORE time in the spotlight instead of allowing indy players to step up to the mark
First off kudos to the new interface and colourings for the teams. I tried to get into this e-sport scene a bit more as a viewer but I don't feel like I can connect to any team. No team really represents whatever city they are supposed to come from.

Teams + players: https://overwatchleague.com/en-gb/players

It's all about branding