Pharah could really use some love

Competitive Discussion
For the moment, let's assume that you do not have a Mercy on your team, as I'd like to avoid that whole landmine right now.

I've been playing Pharah quite a lot lately and come off feeling quite disappointed. It seems like she should be a really fun hero to play but just isn't. Particularly, I've noticed that her general design is a lot like Junkrat, except for the part where she sucks at everything.

The first problem is the flying aspect. It's true that Pharah can fly but far too often, this is more of a weakness than a useful trait. It makes you a plainly obvious target, you can't hide behind your tanks, she has no defensive skills, and she can only shoot in a straight line, so you're always extremely exposed. Compare this to Junkrat, who can essentially fly anyway with his concussion mines for most practical purposes. Being able to bounce his weapon shots around corners means that in many cases the enemy can't even return fire.

Then there's the lack of useful skills. The first skill only enables you to fly, which isn't that great anyway. The second skill just knocks people back, but not very far or reliably, and I particularly noticed that it seems like the animation takes forever to activate, so if you get in an unpleasant situation, it's highly unlikely the concussion grenade can get you out of it. The only thing I've ever seen it do is kill people who happen to get too close to cliff edges, which is extremely situational. Compare this to Junkrat, who can fly with his first skill but faster and also burst damage and also knock people back. His second skill is a bit situational but nowhere near as badly.

Then you have the ult. Barrage can deal a lot of damage but it also makes you a massive target, you have to be in a really vulnerable position to use it, and it's fairly easily beaten by most shields/tanks, as well as needing the enemy team to be clumped up over several seconds. Compare this to Rip-Tire, which in theory can be destroyed but in reality it moves so fast it's almost never actually destroyed, you can use it from safety around three corners, can't be beaten by shields, and the enemy team only needs to be clumped up for a fraction of a second.

Lastly, she is incredibly weak in close quarters because she can't fire her weapon without killing herself. Junkrat of course doesn't damage himself with his weapon or concussion mines.

I get that some heroes are always only useful in certain situations. However, it feels like a massive cop-out to have another hero with basically the same design who isn't remotely situational at all and is better in pretty much every way.

Of course on the other hand I've been on the receiving end of pharmercy and it really, really sucks.

Recommended changes:

• Pharah moves much, much faster whilst flying
  • Pharah's fuel reserve is increased significantly but does not regenerate whilst in the air
  • Pharah can't be healed by other characters whilst in the air
  • Pharah's Concussion Grenade also stuns for, say, one second
09/02/2018 19:43Posted by DeadMG
For the moment, let's assume that you do not have a Mercy on your team, as I'd like to avoid that whole landmine right now.

I've been playing Pharah quite a lot lately and come off feeling quite disappointed. It seems like she should be a really fun hero to play but just isn't. Particularly, I've noticed that her general design is a lot like Junkrat, except for the part where she sucks at everything.

The first problem is the flying aspect. It's true that Pharah can fly but far too often, this is more of a weakness than a useful trait. It makes you a plainly obvious target, you can't hide behind your tanks, she has no defensive skills, and she can only shoot in a straight line, so you're always extremely exposed. Compare this to Junkrat, who can essentially fly anyway with his concussion mines for most practical purposes. Being able to bounce his weapon shots around corners means that in many cases the enemy can't even return fire.

Then there's the lack of useful skills. The first skill only enables you to fly, which isn't that great anyway. The second skill just knocks people back, but not very far or reliably, and I particularly noticed that it seems like the animation takes forever to activate, so if you get in an unpleasant situation, it's highly unlikely the concussion grenade can get you out of it. The only thing I've ever seen it do is kill people who happen to get too close to cliff edges, which is extremely situational. Compare this to Junkrat, who can fly with his first skill but faster and also burst damage and also knock people back. His second skill is a bit situational but nowhere near as badly.

Then you have the ult. Barrage can deal a lot of damage but it also makes you a massive target, you have to be in a really vulnerable position to use it, and it's fairly easily beaten by most shields/tanks, as well as needing the enemy team to be clumped up over several seconds. Compare this to Rip-Tire, which in theory can be destroyed but in reality it moves so fast it's almost never actually destroyed, you can use it from safety around three corners, can't be beaten by shields, and the enemy team only needs to be clumped up for a fraction of a second.

Lastly, she is incredibly weak in close quarters because she can't fire her weapon without killing herself. Junkrat of course doesn't damage himself with his weapon or concussion mines.

I get that some heroes are always only useful in certain situations. However, it feels like a massive cop-out to have another hero with basically the same design who isn't remotely situational at all and is better in pretty much every way.

Of course on the other hand I've been on the receiving end of pharmercy and it really, really sucks.

Recommended changes:

• Pharah moves much, much faster whilst flying
  • Pharah's fuel reserve is increased significantly but does not regenerate whilst in the air
  • Pharah can't be healed by other characters whilst in the air
  • Pharah's Concussion Grenade also stuns for, say, one second

I mean you could just practice with pharah and get good before you try to break her huh? :D

pharah is fine just use your suroundings she is actually very strong also dont use concussive mine as a knockback all the time it is primarily used to boost yourself fast to the target and 2 rocket kill them.
She has a jump jet pack...

Just because she's able to fly, doesn't automatically make it the best strategy.
I really dont understand why they dont give her some mobility while in the air. We all know that her jets can rotate so why not we are not able to use the jump jet ability side ways or forward or backward. Also her concussive mine is such a niche skill, besides boosting yourself off of ledges and occasional throwing targets off of the map there is no usage. I would like to see her rework and become a consistent dps hero Similar what hanzo was in the past and what he is now. As of this moment. In long range; Slightly skilled widow, hanzo can and will take you out. Medium range where is almost all game played, hanzo, widow, soldier, roadhog, mcree can easly kill you. Even if you avoid one or two shots by simply concussive mined yourself away from the danger zone, you cannot avoid all the bullets all the time and deal consistent damage at the same time. Which in return hurts her dps capability. She, as hero has already slow projectile speed and have no other abilities to increase her dps capability to a constant. By simply choosing her you are essentially forcing one of your teammates to pick mercy and leave the grounded teammates with one support. So all in all, yes she is some what of a avarage hero, on very very few maps she might seem even stronger specially if enemy team has brigitte in their team or unaware of your wherabouts but as soon as enemy team picks hanzo or any hero that i wrote above or notices you can easly kill her. Her ultimate is a meme, it is litterally press ''q'' to respawn. She needs a rework similar to upcoming symetra rework and recent hanzo rework which will increase her pick rate without completely breaking her and making her overpowered. My idea is involving skill play like the relation between Tracer and Mcree. Mcree normally soft counters tracer with his flashbang but if he misses that chance tracer has a window to kill him. Some of the heroes that i stated above that soft or hard counters pharah; yes you can kill them as pharah but it is not that quite similar the relation between tracer and mcree. Why we seen really few pharah plays in OWL or why we are seeing very few pharah players up in the ladder, now you know the reason. People are all about mechanical skilled heros and i say the highest skill ceiling goes to pharah because of the environmental aweraness you have to have and her ultimate is nothing if you dont have Gravaton, Blizzard, Earthshatter. Even if you combined those 2 ultimates there will be widow away from her teammates which will headshot you as soon as you press ''q''. Where as Dragon Strike plus Gravaton or Blizzard or Earthsatter combination is much more deadly combination and you can use it behind walls or away from line of sight. Moreover even if you dont combine Dragon Strike it is a great deterrence that will make people run away from point or payload. I am not against the idea of having counters and i am not advodcating that she has to be given godly powers, no i am simply saying she needs to be brought at the same level with other dps heroes both in the dps efficiency department and mobility department. As of this moment in competative she has 3% usage in the last 6 months as dps hero. Which to be honest with everyone here, is bad. I know Pharah nowadays is seeing more daylight but thats not because something is changed, but because of the exsistence of brigitte, will it be the same after the brigitte nerfs come online, i dont know. For me if any hero's pickrate depending on another hero's getting a nerf or not is bad. That right there is creating an envoirement where people cheer for brigitte, a hero is really, amazingly strong to stay strong and evidently stay a must pick rather than become a support option kind of like how mercy was before valkyrie nerf; just to play their favorite hero which upsets the balance of the community. So this is my two cents about her. Probably will recieve hate like i did something really bad but here we go suprise me.
As a pharah main i see a lot of bad pharah's.
And i also listen to lots of none pharah players say: you are a pharah you should fly more..

You are an easy target when being high in the sky. That is not bad as the enemy has no or not good enough counters. But if they have you should just focus more on doing damage in this meta. And play her as a junkrat. Burn down those shields from behind your shield. Only at the last moment get into the air to avoid the stuns etc.., boost yourself first to the hitscan and deal with them/it first. Then help finish of the healers(brig) etc.

But especially hanzo is now very good even if you boost to it he can still kill you before you have that 2nd hit off. And a zarya will being to busy with the tank melee brawl, to bubble you.
So i would love a very short self bubble(4 seconds) in the flying suit on a long timer(+30 seconds) to bring it back into balance with hanzo (or just fix hanzo -> since a bubble wouldn't be fair against a widow/mccree or soldier)
I'm a Pharah main (300+ hours) and I think Pharah is perfectly fine as is, as long as your team cooperates with you. (namely picking healers that can actually heal Pharah).