(PC) How do I get out of Gold - Seriously...

Competitive Discussion
Hi All,

I know it sounds silly and I can't wait for the "Just be better" replies, BUT! How is it possible, for people that have achieved it?

I know it's obviously not a massive task, but I really want to progress. I'm not about to sit here and say I am the best player but I do always do my best and change hero's when necessary and I do tend to have a lot/most of those gold medals (however medals mean nothing in competitive).

I've never managed to get to platinum, if I'm honest I probably didn't try as hard in previous seasons, but the last and this current season I am really trying to push. I win 3/4 games in a row then lose 3/4 games in a row, due to poor team work or people really not having the brain/wanting to change it up and try to win.

Is it worth 6 stacking?

I really am interested in peoples serious/genuine responses (although I'm sure a few people will just come a long and troll).

Thanks all

Happy Gaming,

Kaeson
Serious answer here: get better.

ok, seriously though: I play OW since open Beta, in S1 i had a season high of 52 (=plat, good old days), end of season 48 (=gold). I used to Main Reinhardt as he was really strong back then, but I wasnt really good. It was more of a filling thing because we needed a main tank... I would have to look it up when I actually hit plat, but I am pretty sure i swapped to support to do so.

The Point is: I found a role that fit my playstyle much more as OW was my first shooter EVER (I played MMOs before as D3 or WoW). As soon as Zen was buffed (150HP to 200HP) I mained him, hit plat and in S4 first time diamond.

I dont know how much you played OW by now, but maybe the heroes you play dont suit your style that much? try out heroes you seem to be performing well on or enjoy playing, you will get better with those naturally (thats what did it for me - Offsupport-role, Maining Lucio and Zen as done wonders for me).

As you get better with your role, your Game Sense will improve and you will be able to play similar heroes from other roles on the same level.

Regarding your 6-stack-question.
I played in several 6-stacks. The most difficult thing when 6-stacking is finding players that have:
1.) the same goals everyone on the team
2.) Like each other
3.) are on roughly the same skill level
4.) have similar playstyle or can adapt to each others playstyle

I have met all 4 requirements ONCE, but then people got impatient because we were only able to play twice a week, so they quit and everything fell apart. It didnt take a lot of effort to win games though, so if you put in enough time and effort to find the right people, its gonna be easy climbing for you guys.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Also, if you are from GER, we actually are putting together a new team. I wouldnt mind international players, but I am not the team leader unfortunatly.

Apart from that, I have a DPS account in low Plat, I could play with you after this Weekend to see if I can spot some key mistakes you make and to improve your own gameplay.
09/03/2018 14:33Posted by Glitched
Serious answer here: get better.

ok, seriously though: I play OW since open Beta, in S1 i had a season high of 52 (=plat, good old days), end of season 48 (=gold). I used to Main Reinhardt as he was really strong back then, but I wasnt really good. It was more of a filling thing because we needed a main tank... I would have to look it up when I actually hit plat, but I am pretty sure i swapped to support to do so.

The Point is: I found a role that fit my playstyle much more as OW was my first shooter EVER (I played MMOs before as D3 or WoW). As soon as Zen was buffed (150HP to 200HP) I mained him, hit plat and in S4 first time diamond.

I dont know how much you played OW by now, but maybe the heroes you play dont suit your style that much? try out heroes you seem to be performing well on or enjoy playing, you will get better with those naturally (thats what did it for me - Offsupport-role, Maining Lucio and Zen as done wonders for me).

As you get better with your role, your Game Sense will improve and you will be able to play similar heroes from other roles on the same level.

Regarding your 6-stack-question.
I played in several 6-stacks. The most difficult thing when 6-stacking is finding players that have:
1.) the same goals everyone on the team
2.) Like each other
3.) are on roughly the same skill level
4.) have similar playstyle or can adapt to each others playstyle

I have met all 4 requirements ONCE, but then people got impatient because we were only able to play twice a week, so they quit and everything fell apart. It didnt take a lot of effort to win games though, so if you put in enough time and effort to find the right people, its gonna be easy climbing for you guys.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Also, if you are from GER, we actually are putting together a new team. I wouldnt mind international players, but I am not the team leader unfortunatly.

Apart from that, I have a DPS account in low Plat, I could play with you after this Weekend to see if I can spot some key mistakes you make and to improve your own gameplay.

Appreciate your response and that would be great, I am free tomorrow night from around 5ish GMT.

Kaeson
why the !@#$ wont it post anything anymore? *TEST*

I wont be home until sunday evening GMT+1
Glitched#21691

Just add me and we can play when I get back home^^

EDIT: I looked through your profile, your hero picks seem solid:
Soldier, Junkrat, Moira and some tanks, looking good. 59% winrate on Junkrat and 53% on soldier seems fine too, maybe try to increase your accuracy playing soldier from 29% to something between 35 and 40%. Check your DPI on your mouse and your ingame sens, there are good mouse setting-guides on youtube. Given the fact that you played junkrat on 59% winrate after the nerfs makes me think about your aim... my advice: Try playing more junkrat, if the enemy team runs hog or winston pick up reaper (more forgiving on aim), Moira is fine too and see how it goes. If you dont want to drop soldier (you seem to be playing him alot), try some aim practise for 10min before starting comp.
Short answer:
You need to practice your mechanics and game knowledge/awareness. For mechanics, check up some youtube videos about aiming. For game knowledge, look at positioning guides and some map guides, as to how they are played. For game awareness, record your own gameplay and rewatch it. Figure out why you lost the fight and what you could have done to prevent it.
Some heroes are better than others for climbing. For example, I am sinking as McCree to silver from high gold. But I played plat previous season as D.VA/Zen.
You can't. Competitive is broken and unless you got a decent rank after placements there's no way to get out.

Edit: to backup my story a bit more: I've been plat every season. Somehow my mmr got all messed up and I got placed in low gold and its literally impossible to climb even tho "I'm better" than others at my sr.
Just loose some games to be silver lol
6 stack is the only way to climb. There is no other way until Blizzard fixes comp.
You shouldn't be able to unless you are multiple ranks above. That is how the matchmaking is made.
The game is all about consistency, if you do your job every single game every single time you will climb. As to improve: Indeed rewatch your own gameplay and criticize yourself rather than being like "I could've done nothing there". Maybe you could've done nothing in that situation you got yourself into that's true, but then you have to look beyond that and learn to see how you don't get into that situation in the first place. Change your approaches and playstyles so you get more comfortable and know when to be at which time. Game awareness and game knowledge are way more important than raw mechanical skill. And remember: Overwatch is all about staying alive and making sure your team mates stay alive aswell, this goes for any role, not just support.
11/03/2018 14:35Posted by Alpha
As to improve: Indeed rewatch your own gameplay and criticize yourself rather than being like "I could've done nothing there".

This so much. No one plays perfect. Its easier to spot your mistakes when watching your game play than while playing. Also if you can find someone higher than you playing same roles can be really helpful.

11/03/2018 14:35Posted by Alpha
And remember: Overwatch is all about staying alive and making sure your team mates stay alive aswell, this goes for any role, not just support.

Staying alive is really important and with that attitude you can climb really high, but when it to high end it can be beneficial to trade. For example your attacking on route 66 and you trade your life to kill enemy healer, especially if they are running 1 heal its insanely good. Sure you go 5v5 but the enemies have no heals or 1 heal only and you will reinforce faster. Or if the enemy pharah is ulting, your winston and your shield is on cooldown and your team has no where to hide you can jump on her face dying and killing the pharah with her own spalsh dmg. But getting basics on a good level and learning to aim a bit will get you really far already.
11/03/2018 00:43Posted by Manicka111
You shouldn't be able to unless you are multiple ranks above. That is how the matchmaking is made.

Umm no... Sure if your multiple ranks below your "real" rank you will climb insanely fast, but if your even 1 tier below you will climb if you play enough.
3 stack with a good tank healer, Tank and a dps.

Having a sole healer on your team that focus heals the tanks is an amazing strategy. The tank does great work and frees up space for the dps to do their work. I climbed 3 accounts from 1900 to 2200, to around 2650 in a season on all 3 doing this.
The system is build so that when you 6 stack you will be matched against another 6 stack or smaller groups/solo players that are very good (to create an even match against your six stack -> another problem i think... SR being equal should be enough. If you have a group advantage so be it. A group were players are not in voice chat get also no SR advantage over the other team.)

At the moment is a stacking with 2 or 3 players. And try to work together with the rest (attack together -> don't select a flanker or a sniper at start -> switch when needed). And wait for each other after a dead.
- Learn each hero's task, strong points and weaknesses (rein is perfect to win against/block other tanks, a winston is more to attack the backlines)
- Play what is needed most. Around your team. (a Rein with a shield is useless when you not protecting anyone with that shield). Or if the enemy is being carried by one player, try to hard counter that player. Is a sniper killing lots of players during a push all the time. Make sure you have at least one player that keeps the sniper buzzy, or do it yourself (genji, dva, winston). When playing a dps don't just select a dpser you like most, but try to select a dps that works well together with the other dps. (A genji finishing off targets already hit by the pharah. Or when needed, make sure you have at least one dps who protects the healers and tanks -> enemy sniping at your healer & tanks, take a genji. Being jumped by a reaper, take a mccree, being dived by stronger tanks, take a high damage dealer like a reaper etc.. )
-Try to carry yourself -> on defense able to stay alive is more important then making lots of kills , so a good healer that can counter ult their ults, or a good tank is easier to carry with then a dps.
- Learn the maps and learn what tanks, healers and dps works best on each part of the map. (Having a rein and zarya on a map with lots of high grounds being used by good dps is bad)
- Try to ignore bad(solo, one pick) players in your team, you don't need to perfect 6 stack pushes pro's are making. So a bad player don't have to be the problem. And their is a good chance the opponent will also have such player

And most important, play lots of games and don't get discouraged by losses. You only have to win more then 50% so don't expect to win all. A loss is part of the game. And even the top 10 ranked players lose games.
Worry more about your own game. When you loose wonder about what could you have done better. Even if you lost mostly because other players were bad. Could you have done better by switching to another hero? Is your group being shot down by a bastion the whole game.. don't blame the dpsers. If you didn't try to counter it yourself. Don't blame the healer when your group not get enough healing, switch to a hero that is more movable(dva,tracer etc) so you can use health packs or select a self heal hero. Don't blame the tanks/dps they are not protecting you when you get dived jumped on all the time, when playing a healer. Select a healer who is more mobile and can avoid the attacks.
I really don't think being stuck where you are is anything to do with adjusting your team play or attitude towards it. Pretty much EVERY game there is an issue, because half the people take comp seriously and half of them just wander in aimlessly, wondering what this mode is, playing COD instead of OW.

I.E - I played Orisa, because no one wanted to tank. If enemy team dives with Lucio and Winston with team behind, it's not like I can go someone else. Everyone else runs in and dies and I'm stuck trying to protect the point, waiting for my team to respawn and it's 6v1.

So far, it seems I am playing people who should be higher ranked and continuously lose over and over until I'm heading further down silver. What is the point WASTING TIME playing comp?

Stuck being Nanny Tank to Hanzo's and kids who admit they can't do well at their role and even tell the whole team. In comp!!!! I have no SR which is definitive of how much I put and it's like 'Play OW and lose. Come play comp and get cheated. Say a warm hello to the expendable baggage you carry around in matches, who've played 10 OW games in their life and luckily place silver'.

There is no motivation playing comp. I'll just stick to 1923. If I play, I'll just lose SR. Rather play another game, tbh. Really vexed right now, so I'm probably making a fool of myself, but I love the game, I enjoy the game. But teaming with people who don't know how to play, to try and get somewhere is pointless and useless.

They should have a particular division for people under a certain criteria, so it gives them something to aim for, a way to get better and ensure they know what they're getting into. Maybe <100 league.
12/03/2018 11:44Posted by DarkStorm
I really don't think being stuck where you are is anything to do with adjusting your team play or attitude towards it. Pretty much EVERY game there is an issue, because half the people take comp seriously and half of them just wander in aimlessly, wondering what this mode is, playing COD instead of OW.

I.E - I played Orisa, because no one wanted to tank. If enemy team dives with Lucio and Winston with team behind, it's not like I can go someone else. Everyone else runs in and dies and I'm stuck trying to protect the point, waiting for my team to respawn and it's 6v1.

So far, it seems I am playing people who should be higher ranked and continuously lose over and over until I'm heading further down silver. What is the point WASTING TIME playing comp?

Stuck being Nanny Tank to Hanzo's and kids who admit they can't do well at their role and even tell the whole team. In comp!!!! I have no SR which is definitive of how much I put and it's like 'Play OW and lose. Come play comp and get cheated. Say a warm hello to the expendable baggage you carry around in matches, who've played 10 OW games in their life and luckily place silver'.

There is no motivation playing comp. I'll just stick to 1923. If I play, I'll just lose SR. Rather play another game, tbh. Really vexed right now, so I'm probably making a fool of myself, but I love the game, I enjoy the game. But teaming with people who don't know how to play, to try and get somewhere is pointless and useless.

They should have a particular division for people under a certain criteria, so it gives them something to aim for, a way to get better and ensure they know what they're getting into. Maybe <100 league.

Don't try to 1vs6.
Don't play a tank to just stand on the point alone.
If the team not play around/with the tank, just switch of it and try to carry with a dps.
Especially not with a team based tank as Orisa.
Being able to run a good tank/healer setup makes it easier to push and hold an objective. A good tank(s)/healer(s) can create room for the dps to make everything easier for them. So it is easier. But if no one works with you and it becomes a solo play game you most of the time be better of trying to carry with with a dps.(same as QP)

But i agree with you, a lot of players just play to just farm the new skins etc, or even only a gold weapon. And since QP is real hell, maybe a new competition is the best solution. But keep the new competition clean of farmers. Remove all rewards from the system or make it harder to get (not just taking part = reward , but win and /or play well is reward, play bad and you get nothing )
Maybe also add a system you first need to do tests or something in the normal competition (like achievements) for each hero before you can join. Like the kill 4 or 5 players with you ult. Before you can join the real competition.
11/03/2018 21:51Posted by Basso
11/03/2018 00:43Posted by Manicka111

Umm no... Sure if your multiple ranks below your "real" rank you will climb insanely fast, but if your even 1 tier below you will climb if you play enough.

The matchmaking will put another player just like you in the opposite team.
09/03/2018 14:23Posted by Kaeson
Hi All,

I know it sounds silly and I can't wait for the "Just be better" replies, BUT! How is it possible, for people that have achieved it?

I know it's obviously not a massive task, but I really want to progress. I'm not about to sit here and say I am the best player but I do always do my best and change hero's when necessary and I do tend to have a lot/most of those gold medals (however medals mean nothing in competitive).

I've never managed to get to platinum, if I'm honest I probably didn't try as hard in previous seasons, but the last and this current season I am really trying to push. I win 3/4 games in a row then lose 3/4 games in a row, due to poor team work or people really not having the brain/wanting to change it up and try to win.

Is it worth 6 stacking?

I really am interested in peoples serious/genuine responses (although I'm sure a few people will just come a long and troll).

Thanks all

Happy Gaming,

Kaeson
It is always worth six stacking. Because that way you eliminate any chance of you getting a troll on your team. And trolls and leavers are biggest cause of tilt in the entire game. So, everyone needs to stop with this "4, 5, 6 stacks are not winnable" because the games are always fun whether you win or not. Trolls and leavers make this game not fun. And Overwatch is at its best when you play as a six stack and face off against another six stack. It forces you be better as an individual player and improves you team skills. Solo queue is when overwatch is at its absolute worst.
Best way to rank up is to 6 or 5 stack repeatedly with a group of people who want to win. Work on your communication, even if your team is mechanically less skilled, it can win with big ult combos.