To: Anyone who climbed out of silver solo

General Discussion
How did you do it? I just, I don't get it, I used to be one of those players who aimed for diamond, I just don't get it. I feel like I'm always pulling my own weight, but I can't just carry, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Everyone just says that if you're good you will rank up, I watch many videos, I do everything, I do my job, but still nothing. Is there no way to climb out of silver without just filling? I have tried everything, I'm desperate, I just want to get out of silver, I was gold then I only went solo queue, The enemy is just always better with very few exceptions, I probably have a 20% win rate right now, I just don't know what to do, in the span of days, I've lost hundreds of sr. I know I'll get "trolls" who tell me to just git gud, or tell me that I belong in low silver, but I know I don't, almost every season I was gold or higher, and now, I keep getting some players who lack game sense, I don't want to just blame my team, but I don't know what it is. I've practiced everyday, I feel like I always do at least good, if not great.

I'm stuck for what to do, is this elo hell?
I managed to solo queue my way from low silver to mid to high platinum in season 5. The way I did it was found a character I really liked the play-style of, which at the time for me was lucio, I learnt how to play him by using quick play a lot to work on positioning and the best time to use my abilities. I used the practice range for about 5 maybe 10 minutes at a time to work on my aim with the character. Once I became confident enough to play Lucio in comp, I started to play comp a lot more, and I hate to say it, I was pretty much a Lucio one-trick that season.

So my advice for you would be find atleast 3 characters that you like the play style of, one in each category, such as DPS, tank, and support, there will be times where your most prefered is chosen by someone else in matches. Learn those characters and their abilities, practice your positioning and aim using quick play/practice range. Once comfortable with those characters, jump into comp and keep a positive mindset, even when you get a toxic team mate, mute that person and focus on your own gameplay when this happens.

This is all I can give you in terms of advice, so if anyone else wants to point out something that I may have missed, go ahead and add it.

Hope this helps a little bit if at all.
12/03/2018 22:46Posted by NuttyGamer
I managed to solo queue my way from low silver to mid to high platinum in season 5. The way I did it was found a character I really liked the play-style of, which at the time for me was lucio, I learnt how to play him by using quick play a lot to work on positioning and the best time to use my abilities. I used the practice range for about 5 maybe 10 minutes at a time to work on my aim with the character. Once I became confident enough to play Lucio in comp, I started to play comp a lot more, and I hate to say it, I was pretty much a Lucio one-trick that season.

So my advice for you would be find atleast 3 characters that you like the play style of, one in each category, such as DPS, tank, and support, there will be times where your most prefered is chosen by someone else in matches. Learn those characters and their abilities, practice your positioning and aim using quick play/practice range. Once comfortable with those characters, jump into comp and keep a positive mindset, even when you get a toxic team mate, mute that person and focus on your own gameplay when this happens.

This is all I can give you in terms of advice, so if anyone else wants to point out something that I may have missed, go ahead and add it.

Hope this helps a little bit if at all.

This helps more then you know, the purpose of my post is to ask people who climbed out of the rank, it's all well and good watching pros who've never even played in silver, but hearing it from someone who did it, really helps.
I climbed from 1450 to 2922ish last season in about 3 weeks. I was stuck in Silver for a looooong time. Once I hit 2200 it was pretty much plain sailing. I played Tracer & D.Va 70/30 more or less exclusively and I one-tricked Tracer hard after I got out of Silver.

If you're not a hardcore player, you'll have a tough time getting out. I had to play a LOT of games to do it and there were throwers, trolls, leavers, you name it along the way. Tank/Supp mains who decided they wanted to DPS this game (and were terrible at it) and vice versa.

Best advice is just to one-trick below diamond. I notice you're a Gengu main. Try to pad your stats. Get gold elims/damage, try to keep your accuracy up and your Dragon Blade kills high, this will ensure that you lose less SR for a loss and gain more for a win. Because of performance based SR a lot of people (including myself) think it's best to one-trick because you get a LOT of practice in on that one hero so you can become really proficient with it which makes it more likely for you to be able to maintain high stats.

When I queue a game, I insta-lock Tracer and if our team has too many DPS/no supports/tanks, I check the profiles of the people I'm queued with, take a look at their k/dr, average damage per game/medals etc and if their stats are significantly lower than mine, I won't switch. If they're similar or higher, I'll consider off-tanking with D.VA or supporting with Moira. Usually, underperforming DPS will switch to a supp/tank if they're not doing well midgame.

Also people tend to respect instalocks and one-tricks in general. They might not like it but if they can see you've spent 95% of your time on one hero, they already know you're unlikely to switch.

I'm not a huge cut above you but if you can record gameplay and drop a YT link here I'm sure myself and others would be happy to review it too ^^
I am also in elo hell so I share the OP's feeling but for me it may stem from mostly maining supports but i do try to be a jack-of-all-trades with most of the hero's.

To use an example from a match I had last night, It also does not help when you get put in a match with an obvious Genji smurf who's skill level is so far above his team he's litteraly carrying them through a match that, without him, could have gone either way rather than a direct loss because of this guy's participation.

Don;t get me wrong, fair play to this guy as he was a brilliant player but he had no buisness being in silver.

I am all for a level playing field for everyone but stuff like that saps the will to play comp, especialy when you solo queue and the rewards for a win (SR wise) are so small and the losses are almost in lockstep with the wins you can't seem to get enough SR to get out.
One of my first seasons i ended up Falling down to bronze from gold due to me not knowing how to play properly and some throwers/leavers etc. I got out of there by playing tracer. Its my most played hero because thats how long it took me to get to plat. I now play tank and support only.
12/03/2018 22:36Posted by Azazael
How did you do it? I just, I don't get it, I used to be one of those players who aimed for diamond, I just don't get it. I feel like I'm always pulling my own weight, but I can't just carry, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Everyone just says that if you're good you will rank up, I watch many videos, I do everything, I do my job, but still nothing. Is there no way to climb out of silver without just filling? I have tried everything, I'm desperate, I just want to get out of silver, I was gold then I only went solo queue, The enemy is just always better with very few exceptions, I probably have a 20% win rate right now, I just don't know what to do, in the span of days, I've lost hundreds of sr. I know I'll get "trolls" who tell me to just git gud, or tell me that I belong in low silver, but I know I don't, almost every season I was gold or higher, and now, I keep getting some players who lack game sense, I don't want to just blame my team, but I don't know what it is. I've practiced everyday, I feel like I always do at least good, if not great.

I'm stuck for what to do, is this elo hell?

Rank in this game is only partial based on skill. Sure, if you're really good, you can carry. But in general means, Rank has very little to do with skill and more about random win/loss. I have one account in GM on PS4 which I can maintain easy. And this PC account in plat which I can't rank up.
i climbed out of silver with doomfist, main a hero that you enjoy playing put some dedication to learn/practice try to figure out where you are doing wrong and more important watch/observe how good players play with that hero then you can carry your team and get out of silver
12/03/2018 22:36Posted by Azazael
How did you do it?
I soloed from bronze to dia just keep the mentality of not giving up. And elo hell doesnt excist its a bad way of hiding the truth to yourself that you arent good enough but if you try to improve then you will do it, just keep trying and dont give up
I'm a Pharah main so I just need a Mercy to grab my !@# and I'm golden to carry any game up to diamond. You just need to play heroes that have the ability to carry a game with strong synergy. Phamercy performs independently from your team as your Mercy has to prioritize her healing and sticking to a Pharah 24/7 is better than healing bad teammates and gives you great results depending on the skill level of the Pharah.

If you keep going into games playing heroes like Symmetra, Torbjörn, Junkrat, Reinhardt, Zarya etc. that are very much team dependent then your only option is to fulfill your role to the fullest and let matchmaking variance take you to wherever you happen to end up. This might mean that you can't climb up if the odds are constantly stacked up against you.
did a bronze to diamond

not hard
Last season i just 1 tricked out of plat to diamond. I have now hot my hard cap and i can only play moira Lucio mercy rein and orisa at a diamond level. And yes i may be a console player but i can also play rein and Winston on pc at 2900 and maintain a 50% win rate. I'd say its game knowledge and not flexing till you are pretty much average on all heros. Get amazing at a few. Each rank have certain things they just do without thinking about and things that they don't do but the next rank always do of you get me. I was in gold in season 2 and 3 and nobody said anything. Now in high plat and diamond everyone is screaming at each other with information. May not be the best information but that was just an example
go moira
I am atm in silver,
Im not a big comp player but the what i noticed what can be the most impactfull to your team is divercity try to learn alot of charracters.

Me i have quite a decent range of charracters i play and want to be good with most of them.
Learn the maps and know what hero you are strong at, and when the maps shift so capture point, next king of the hill point, or when moving the payload change your charracter. Dont just look at the map tho also look at what the enemy team plays at.

When i play alone i have a decent win rate for me this is the first season and i hit silver 1700 already. i do have to say i usualy play with a friend whos deep down in bronze and there are some bronze teams really retarded.

But most of the time i enjoy teams in com people do try there hardest.
Big impact has changing if you feel your getting counterd counter their counters.

Good example i like to start of alot of maps with widowmaker that have good open views and still some places to hide behind. To wall through that first spot they need to change their heroes or wait for their ultimates to get up cause widow deals a !@#$ ton o f damage if you can hit some heads.
Well usually you get countered with genjies and tracers sombras etc.

When people pick those once they got the ball roling in low rank they dont change heroes. so i pick in my case Mei whos a big Genji counter and i have a DEEP disgusting HATE towards genjis so Mei %^-*s them up big time also takes out sombras and tracers quite well and you basicly counter half their team.

But thats only one of the plays.
Some king of the hill maps i love to play Symetra cause quick turrets inside of the building king of the hill maps can be very strong and is hard to counter. Usually a win and when we get to an open map phara is for example strong cause good aoe hits deal lots of damage to muliple heroes and you can fly high.

Look to play diverse that is the big win factor in my eyes
I was 1600 and now i am 2400
Just play what you are good at. and by that i don't mean that don't give a s%@* about your team
so if you are good at dps quickly pick dps and if your team already has 2 dps just play something else (i play reaper as dps, roadhod as tank and lucio as healer)
and always play something that counters the enemy team, like if they have winston and roadhog don't go genji, go reaper
if you play solider or any other long range heroes always stay at high ground behind your team
STAY WITH YOUR TEAM
if you are playing tank protect your team (especially the healers)
and if you are playing healer stay back, don't die and don't shove your head in only one players a s s (heal all of them)

Or you can just play with me in eu servers :D
Hey,

I have always been diamond and above, so I'm not really in the population you've asked for advices, but here goes anyway :

Most people tend to play this game and look at their stats / feelings when it comes to "how well" they play the game.

While it's not a bad thing, it is by no mean what should be used as a metric. In fact, pretty much nothing is. So how to get better, bluntly?

First, start with the basics :

What button do you press?
Ok so if by now you're still reading it means you're legitimately interested. So buckle up because I feel like it'll be long.
Many people play with the baselines shortcuts from the game. It's a terrible choice (IMO) as E sometimes has to be used while straffing right and it's not possible as your index can't reliably press 2 buttons at the same time.
So basically what you'd want to do is shift for abilities which require aiming (like Ana's sleeping dart) and one of your mouse's button for abilities that don't (like ana's nade).
That's already a good start. You might think it's won't change a thing but I personnaly saw a difference when I did this kind of changes.

What's your sensitivity?
I know some people who play with sensitivity at 2. Some who still play with it at 15 (the baseline sens.). Personally, I found it really easier to hit those darned gengu with Ana (I'll use Ana many times sorry it's kind of my main ^^) with a sens. at 5 and it's my baseline sense with everyone else, except a few heroes.
What I'd suggest is that you lower your sens. until you feel like you're at a good point, but staying at 15 was a huge mistake for me. And I did it for like 4-5 seasons!

Are you on voice chat?
Now, I know it can be annoying. You WILL get trolls, screamers, idiots and people with !@#$ty music. But you also will be hearing warnings / priority targets / strategies and the occasional funny guy/gal.
And if some people are annoying, mute them. Simple as that!
I am not telling you to be vocal. You should if you're feeling it (I'm personally very vocal) but if you don't feel like doing it, just listening is a huge plus. And if you can listen AND call some things you see that haven't been called (the tracer coming in the back, the fact that zarya still hasn't used her ult in 2 minutes, that you need help) it helps incredibly!

It's not enough to play WITH your teammates, you should also play AROUND them.
We all have had those matches with that one guy who only play one hero and it seems unwinnable and as soon as you see one in your team you feel like you've lost already.
Well, don't. It's not like you can do anything about it anyway, and if you're stuck with someone like that, play around him. Pick something that will help him get more value out of his pick.

Man I could continue for hours. Let me know if you want me to, or if you want me to go deeper into some of the point mentioned above.
Hey,

First, start with the basics :

What button do you press?
Ok so if by now you're still reading it means you're legitimately interested. So buckle up because I feel like it'll be long.
Many people play with the baselines shortcuts from the game. It's a terrible choice (IMO) as E sometimes has to be used while straffing right and it's not possible as your index can't reliably press 2 buttons at the same time.
So basically what you'd want to do is shift for abilities which require aiming (like Ana's sleeping dart) and one of your mouse's button for abilities that don't (like ana's nade).
That's already a good start. You might think it's won't change a thing but I personnaly saw a difference when I did this kind of changes.

[/quote]

Please could you go deeper into this? What buttons have you rebound? Which mouse do you use etc