New twitch owl token system "racist" to europeans

General Discussion
22/02/2018 10:31Posted by Phantom
Principle and consideration is the issue here. We matter as players too.

F***ing Quoted For Truth.
Tweet:
@BlizzardCS I see there will be free tokens when people watch OWL. I live in a different time zone (with the earth being round and such, you know :) ). How do we get free tokens?

BlizzardCS :
I'm afraid you need to watch the event while it is live. You won't be able to get the tokens otherwise. ^JH

Respons:
@BlizzardCS was this an oversight? are there plans to fix this? ... As you can well image, I and a lot of my countrymen, ... make that continentmen ... feel very discriminated against.

.. currently no response to that
Here... from Spain... 8am... going... to sleep... n-now.
Thanks uncle Jeff, i... i got my points... :floats to bed: @__@
The viewer reward system is, as expected, totally crap. Big, big thumbs down.

Even if rewards DID work for my country (they don't), no way am I going to watch anything live at 2 am - 8 am which is the OWL broadcast time in my country. I think I am not alone in this.

Blizzard can just stick their tokens in uncomfortable places for all I care.
Blizzard better work on their competitive system (sucks big time) Instead of putting energy in a free token system which also fails big time.
I posted this to another thread earlier but posting on this thread too for visibility.

I'd like to see Blizzard really give input on this matter and be transparent what are the reasons behind these geographical restrictions for the rewards and will they be updated anytime soon or at all. If they will, would people be able to redeem rewards from matches watched before eligibility for rewards?

People who claim that 1 token per match is nothing don't get the fact that its not so much about getting that one token rather than about the idea of being left out and not given a reason why.

I hope we can get transparency on the matter soon (not Soon™).
23/02/2018 11:15Posted by Mytechnique
People who claim that 1 token per match is nothing don't get the fact that its not so much about getting that one token rather than about the idea of being left out and not given a reason why.

(1) if 1 token is nothing, why do they get it? (obviously to save enough until it does amount to something - ergo ... it's not nothing )

(2) you also forget the chance to get 100 points. Which is an instant not-nothing we'll never win.
It's annoying and inconsiderate. But it's not racist. Come on now.
Well, leave computer running with twitch going otherwise. If in a country where you can get reward anyway. Living in sweden myself so kinda hard to watch all matches.

And the system is bugged atm. 16 maps yesterday and got 122 points. So think the system rewarded watching the replays that was this morning aswell, along with the lucky 100 from one.
23/02/2018 22:22Posted by Orbulon
It's annoying and inconsiderate. But it's not racist. Come on now.
It's only not "racism", because technically, that pretains to the color of your skin. HOWEVER - I as much chose the color of my skin as I chose where I was born.

Blizzard isn't some 2 man Indy game company working on a $5 budget. They are a million dollar trippleA studio.

And just as I would not silently accept them making a system that gives white people tokens while not giving them to black people

Just as I would not silently accept them making a system that gives men tokens while not giving them to women

... I sure as heck don't see why I should silently except them chosing to give tokens out in such a way that is not only biased (ref the timezone problem), but unambigious, undeniable discriminatory toward anyone not living in The Chosen Countries.
All I'm saying is, I'm sure the reason some countries aren't included is logistical (remember they need to work with Twitch on this too).
They're not sitting in a room going "harhar, eff these countries" and trying to be discriminatory.

It actually amazes me that when people post incidents of players being racist towards them in game (with evidence) it usually gets greeted with "Lol toughen up snowflake!" Etc.
But this is treated like the greatest racial injustice in human history.

Looking forward to the down votes on this one.
24/02/2018 13:24Posted by Orbulon
All I'm saying is, I'm sure the reason some countries aren't included is logistical (remember they need to work with Twitch on this too).
They're not sitting in a room going "harhar, eff these countries" and trying to be discriminatory.

Well it's like giving a candy to certain kids and not the others. Okay it's just a candy but it's still more candy than receiving nothing based on where you live which is something you can't do much about, it's not like you've been a naughty kid that doesn't deserve one.
21/02/2018 20:14Posted by NIDCLXVI
Just log in to their channel and afk.

But it isn't racist, hahaha. You snowflake.

Racist probably isn't the right term, but it doesn't change the fact that what he said is actually true.
Why should we have to leave our PC on 24 hours a day just to accumulate some tokens. It seems a bit unfair.
I'd call it Regionalist.
i agree is not fair, for us. In my contry is it's about 1 am, when a match starts.
im watching the match but after one map i quickly check and see did they send me token but they havent send me tokens
Seriously. Throwing a fit because some gets free tokens and not all is just sad.

What we know is that blizzard commented on one user from brazil that they couldnt get rewards atm due to legal reasons. And the whole reward system isnt solely on blizzard, but its partnership between blizzard, twitch, mlg. So just maybe there are similar reasons in the other countries to why they arent getting rewards atm.

It would help if blizzard could comment on the other countries aswell and not only on brazil, but still. There is nothing racist about it, so please stop crying wolf.
it is just bad marketing! why would you make half or more of your audience that pays the game and buy bits angry with a not finished or bad designed system? i guess because the token is a ingame currency they run into some legal restricted stuff in many countries. but why not just make a extra lootbox that you get by watching?! because that should not be a problem and get from that something. And the problem with the time preference is just a programming issue that you can solve with some id's stick to the days so you cant get double reward by watching the rebroadcast.
24/02/2018 21:46Posted by AkeD
Seriously. Throwing a fit because some gets free tokens and not all is just sad.

What we know is that blizzard commented on one user from brazil that they couldnt get rewards atm due to legal reasons. And the whole reward system isnt solely on blizzard, but its partnership between blizzard, twitch, mlg. So just maybe there are similar reasons in the other countries to why they arent getting rewards atm.

It would help if blizzard could comment on the other countries aswell and not only on brazil, but still. There is nothing racist about it, so please stop crying wolf.
Seriously, this indicates how little you understand.

You are trying to explain it, and thus somehow the whole thing wouldn't be discriminatory. It doesn't work that way. The simplest I can explain it is as follows:

The problem isn't that timezones discriminate. Timezones are kind of a natural phenomena, and there's nothing people can do about that.

The problem is chosing to using a system based timezones, instead of an system that is equal for all - is.

And the same applies to the players of countries that don't get Tokens. Whatever the reason is - it's still Blizzard who still chose to continue dispite it being discriminatory.

I actually hope that they did, because the alternative would means they sat in a room and chose this system without realising that time zones exists (dispite the U.S. alone already having those). And ... well ... you can ask yourself which senario is actually the benefit of the doubt.
Blaming Blizzard when we dont even know if the reason to this is on Blizzards end is just bad. Twitch already have parts available in certain countries only, so might as well be them. The ads that give free bits are US only and Twitch Prime is available in a select few countries.

And regardless, why some countries shouldnt be able to get rewards just cause all cant is silly. Theres plenty of times where there is stuff available to some countries only.
26/02/2018 23:15Posted by AkeD
Blaming Blizzard when we dont even know if the reason to this is on Blizzards end is just bad.
If you want to take the stance that we don't know, I can only presume you advocate Blizz explaning the situation?

Twitch already have parts available in certain countries only, so might as well be them. The ads that give free bits are US only and Twitch Prime is available in a select few countries.
... yes, but non of those are problems of Overwatch. They are problems of Twitch. They are problems of Twitch Blizzard chose to introduce into Overwatch.

To quote the first question of my open letter ( https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17618092695 )

(1) Why did you chose a system to reward players dependant on country.
(not 'why is the system country-dependant', but why this system, and not one vastly less discriminatory)

(edit: consider the simple fix to add reruns that you can watch using overwatch yourself, with sufficient adds that they generate the same revenue. Now, any player from any country could see them & get stuff. In fact you'll get significantly more revenue from countries in other timezones & get revenue from countries that aren't on the Twitch list)

And regardless, why some countries shouldnt be able to get rewards just cause all cant is silly. Theres plenty of times where there is stuff available to some countries only.
Please don't pull a Nirvana fallacy.

Perfection will always be outside our reach - but a less discriminatory system then the current OWLvrp? absolutely not.