Why insult others rather than helping them?

General Discussion
So I've noticed that quite often, people simply insult others for what they do in the game rather than helping them. I understand that if someone is being toxic or if someone is throwing, that you don't want to help them. But if someone hasn't done anything wrong and they just want to learn a new character, why would you go ahead and insult them, rather than giving them advice?
Because when I ask you politely 5 times to switch because you arent performing that well as an Attack widow when the ennemy team has a genji, a Winston and a Dva and you don't listen, it makes me want to tear your eyes out.
Because welcome to the internet, where being a jerk is "cool" and you can do what you want because "lol anonymity".

Probably getting old but I'm fed up with the online communities in most online games, so I tend to just stick to what I'm doing and let others do what they do. Also, a lot of people are very rude back when you try to help them out, so keeping your mouth shut is a lot better than opening it and trying to help people these days.
19/03/2018 13:45Posted by Jozz
Because when I ask you politely 5 times to switch because you arent performing that well as an Attack widow when the ennemy team has a genji, a Winston and a Dva and you don't listen, it makes me want to tear your eyes out.
Yeah but then you have a reason not to give more advice because clearly, the other person doesn't listen. In my case I did one thing wrong and straight up got insulted, without even getting the chance to show I'm willing to listen.
#1 rule of the internet is that everyone is brave behind a monitor and X amount of miles/km away.

It's like the old meme says "Keyboard warriors, because saying $^%$ in person is dangerous"

That's why a lot of people are vocal and abusive in chat or over coms. because they can do it without repercussions.

Easiest thing to do is block and mute them. Problem solved.
Because after a certain point it gets very annoying and irritating have to give advice for the X-th time, so I just become cynical, sarcastic and passive aggressive.

This is literally the problem. They don't want to switch, they want to learn that hero and instead of helping them, you're telling them not to play it. Play characters you can help them with, give them advice, if they're playing Widowmaker, spot for them, etc.

There are so many things you can do to help your fellow player to improve, but instead you just get annoyed with them because you feel slightly inconvenienced. Nobody likes to be told what to do when they're playing a videogame for fun in their free time.
20/03/2018 02:50Posted by MattV91

This is literally the problem. They don't want to switch, they want to learn that hero and instead of helping them, you're telling them not to play it. Play characters you can help them with, give them advice, if they're playing Widowmaker, spot for them, etc.

There are so many things you can do to help your fellow player to improve, but instead you just get annoyed with them because you feel slightly inconvenienced. Nobody likes to be told what to do when they're playing a videogame for fun in their free time.

maybe they need learn in QP? not in Comp?:D
20/03/2018 02:50Posted by MattV91

I always let them try. Then I ask politely when we are getting stomped.
Whenever I try a character I don't master and we start losing, I switch on a character I master which has an impact on the game to turn the tide.

Also if you are being hard countered as I said in my example, you won't be Learning sh*it, you will just visit the spawn a lot.