Platinum is easily the worst ELO. (in my opinion)

Competitive Discussion
Ok so I've been hardstuck in plat for around 4 seasons now (I was diamond for a season on console, other 2 were plat, for reference) and honestly I just wanted to rant about why Platinum is easily the worst elo.

So Plat is the biggest player variety in the game, with an estimated 50-90% of players being there, which easily gives the suggestion that skill variety is quite common.

The problem I have with this player variety is that most Plat players are either: Throwing, Not mechanically skilled or refuse to play as a team. So of course what does that mean for the people who actually want to climb out of plat?

Well one easy solution would be to "play in a 6 stack" and while this does work, the matchmaking for it is extremely unfair and consistently matches you with hackers or people from higher ELOs.

Duos or Trios don't really work either as then you have to hope that the other four or three people aren't terrible or throwers/trolling. This can be very very frustrating to play through and unfortunately there isn't much that the player can do about it.

Now don't get me wrong, it IS possible to climb out of plat but it's honestly more luck than actual skill, unless you play DPS, which can be tiring either way, seeing as if a support main picked up DPS to carry themselves out, they would have to pray that someone else plays support, or someone who would play D.va and such, which is apparently the most common for getting out of plat, but you would need support or a 2nd tank, and most people just don't fill those roles.

The only chance most people have of getting out of plat as a support is Zenyatta or Moira, Moira would be preferred because she's the easiest to play of the two, however if you enjoy Zenyatta more you would need to rely on your team to protect you, I mean a Winston diving you isn't much but anything more is threatening to a Zen, which is why it's such a problem.

Alternatively you could say that gold, silver and bronze are worse, when in my opinion they actually aren't because those ELOs give you the chance to climb if you do genuinely have skill and decent gamesense, communication, etc. I mean for example, I got placed 2082 on my first PC Season and I climbed all the way to Plat flawlessly, not a single game lost. But what happens as soon as I hit Plat? Throwers, Smurfs, Trollers, every game.

I guess all I'm really saying in a conclusion is that I feel that a rather large portion of plat players could be Diamond or above, it's just the other players that pull them down. Either way it's just my personal opinion and I do very much feel sorry for anyone in the same situation as I am.

Thanks for reading, leave your opinion on this in the discussion if you want. :)
There's definitely more people in plat who refuse to play what the team needs than in gold. More onetricks as well
Had some of the worst games ive ever experienced in plat. I actually stopped playing for a good bit a while back because of it. Totally understand.
I'm in gold for my second season having almost reached plat (I got to 2460-ish before hitting a large losing streak down to 2100) and now sit at 2350 getting closer to plat. I can say that you're right that at Gold and Silver it is far easier to climb with skill; I myself have done so. However, I can't entirely say if that's totally accurate of skill or just me flexing enough to be good at a good range of heroes (primarily tank and support, I take the niche off-dps like Sombra or something). I think we all flex to a degree, it's just those smurfs, cheaters but primarily throwers that are the main problem. I don't think 6-stack or duo or trio queue rly solves any of it totally, because 6-stacking puts you up against much harder opponents who are also 6-stacking because that's apparently "more fair". If you can find a 6-stack to be in with good teammates and get to know them well and play together well, lucky you because most of the community does not have that luxury. Duo and trio queuing are the way to go when you can do it, I don't think they entirely fix the issue but it reduces your chances of getting throwers etc; comparing hoping you have 5 good teammates vs having 4 or 3. Not much better chances, but it's not totally terrible either.
Reason being is most plat players THINK they are better than they are. I am a low GM with a plat smurf and I have to say it is REALLY difficult to stay positive and win games in Plat ELO. I can straight up carry games and still lose because of people who are absolutely CONVINCED they are outplaying you on your team despite the fact they are playing Reaper vs Pharah and refusing to switch. I've watched Rein's Shatter with 5% HP with no team around them and immediately die blaming their team for no followup and then proceeding to switch off Rein to dps. It's just a snowball loss from there with the former Rein feeling fully justified. It truly is the WORST ELO in the game.
24/03/2018 15:30Posted by Prada
Reason being is most plat players THINK they are better than they are. I am a low GM with a plat smurf and I have to say it is REALLY difficult to stay positive and win games in Plat ELO. I can straight up carry games and still lose because of people who are absolutely CONVINCED they are outplaying you on your team despite the fact they are playing Reaper vs Pharah and refusing to switch. I've watched Rein's Shatter with 5% HP with no team around them and immediately die blaming their team for no followup and then proceeding to switch off Rein to dps. It's just a snowball loss from there with the former Rein feeling fully justified. It truly is the WORST ELO in the game.

Not to mention when you get close to diamond you are bombarded with smurfs that 1v6 the whole team
I was expecting so much backlash for posting this... Glad I was wrong :)
I find it better than gold by miles.
I like how people sometimes talk in chat when playing Competitive.

Sometimes.

It's better than QP where nobody talks to anyone.
24/03/2018 11:50Posted by Auro
So Plat is the biggest player variety in the game, with an estimated 50-90% of players being there, which easily gives the suggestion that skill variety is quite common.

Estimate of 50-90%? Its funny that when blizz has revealed the numbers you straight up start your post with lies. I couldnt find the newest charts but this is the very first https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/competitive-mode-tier-distribution/972 giving plat 25% of the player base. Also I recall that the newer stats after the revamp of the SR while blizz admitted they gave people too much SR the plat bracket shrunk a bit and gold went from 32 -> 36 if I recall right and plat dropped to 21ish or something. Gm went to <1% etc, slight changes but biggest was they moved people from plat to gold (i think it was season 4 or 5? and boy were people mad when they were used to be in plat and now they were in gold).

The problem I have with this player variety is that most Plat players are either: Throwing, Not mechanically skilled or refuse to play as a team. So of course what does that mean for the people who actually want to climb out of plat?

Ive climbed out of plat 5 times, technically even more times becuse if I decay and lose 1 game im in plat and climb out. And your back to gold right now, so tbh you are not mechanically skilled to climb out of plat. Ive been diamond player most of my career and when my smurf was in plat it doesent matter what I pick, I just
cant drop to gold even if im playing heroes that aint my bread and butter. Also the climbing is not just a matter of "wanting" as its a PvP ladder.

Well one easy solution would be to "play in a 6 stack" and while this does work, the matchmaking for it is extremely unfair and consistently matches you with hackers or people from higher ELOs.

Ive played this games for way too many hours. Ive encountered one (1) guy who was really fishy and might have had wallhacks or he was just having the luckiest game he ever had. Also when you 6 stack you should make sure you 6 stack with same people over and over again since you will be facing alot 6 stacks and they might have a lot play time together and will crush your sore asses.

Duos or Trios don't really work either as then you have to hope that the other four or three people aren't terrible or throwers/trolling. This can be very very frustrating to play through and unfortunately there isn't much that the player can do about it.

So when you solo q you have odds 6 against 5 for having throwers / trolls unless you throw or troll you self. So you are in advantage by nature if you dont troll or throw your self. If you do duos or 3 stacks with people you know wont troll or throws your odds will raise to 6 vs 3-4. So on average if you 3 stack you have 1 thrower on your team for 2 throwers on enemy team. So in a long run throwers give you free SR, wow!

Now don't get me wrong, it IS possible to climb out of plat but it's honestly more luck than actual skill, unless you play DPS, which can be tiring either way, seeing as if a support main picked up DPS to carry themselves out, they would have to pray that someone else plays support, or someone who would play D.va and such, which is apparently the most common for getting out of plat, but you would need support or a 2nd tank, and most people just don't fill those roles.

Climbed out of plat as supp, dps and as a tank. Maybe it was luck, maybe it wasnt.

The only chance most people have of getting out of plat as a support is Zenyatta or Moira, Moira would be preferred because she's the easiest to play of the two, however if you enjoy Zenyatta more you would need to rely on your team to protect you, I mean a Winston diving you isn't much but anything more is threatening to a Zen, which is why it's such a problem.

ONLY? Dude your always having such strong opinions that are such bs. Like said in the first part that some one them are just straight up lies that can be proven otherwise. But do you know about them mercy mains? As being in diamond for most of my career I can tell you that the most "one tricked" healer in that rating is mercy. There is rarely a game where is 0 mercy mains. Its not too uncommon to have more than 2 each game, ive seen 4 in one team. Ive hear people saying they have seen 5 in one team, thought they have been mercy mains them selfs. Never seen or heard about 6 in on team, but you know what? All those mercy mains climbed out of plat with mercy. Now lets think about your statement about zen or moira, yeah sure those might be good options for YOU, but your talking about "most" players while reflecting about your own stuff. For me very first time climbing out of plat I was pretty much a lucio OTP, flexed if needed but lucio was pretty much needed anyways and there werent many lucio mains. So for me it was lucio, and my empirical data for many seasons and maybe like, idk maybe 1000ish hours soon shows that mercy is easiest the most common healer to climb with.

Alternatively you could say that gold, silver and bronze are worse, when in my opinion they actually aren't because those ELOs give you the chance to climb if you do genuinely have skill and decent gamesense, communication, etc. I mean for example, I got placed 2082 on my first PC Season and I climbed all the way to Plat flawlessly, not a single game lost. But what happens as soon as I hit Plat? Throwers, Smurfs, Trollers, every game.

Alternatively I could say that im in elo hell in high dia - low master as thats been pretty much where is my current skill cap, but im not delusional so im not gonna call it elo hell. But it doesent matter if I say that or not, I could still state that bronze to diamond is easy climb if you have skill and decent game sense. Even climbing to high master and higher is easy IF you have the skill and game sense. Sure the ladder is not perfect and it never will be. But its damn good tho.

I guess all I'm really saying in a conclusion is that I feel that a rather large portion of plat players could be Diamond or above, it's just the other players that pull them down. Either way it's just my personal opinion and I do very much feel sorry for anyone in the same situation as I am.

You know how the SR system works for below diamond? The current system is pretty much fool proof that if you deserve to climb you will climb, no matter what. Saying that other players pull you down is just a delusion that people have for their fantasies of elo hell to harden their ego that they are actually better than their rank. The simple answer is, no your not. Even for diamond+ where the new SR system is in effect you will climb if you deserve it, it might take longer time or might be fast depending on luck since there is a bit luck factor for that now for the new system, but that doesent prevent one from climbing, just might take bit longer. Unless the reason your not climbing is YOU. And thats the only and only reason one is not climbing is them selfs.
30/03/2018 09:18Posted by Basso

Estimate of 50-90%? Its funny that when blizz has revealed the numbers you straight up start your post with lies. I couldnt find the newest charts but this is the very first https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/competitive-mode-tier-distribution/972 giving plat 25% of the player base. Also I recall that the newer stats after the revamp of the SR while blizz admitted they gave people too much SR the plat bracket shrunk a bit and gold went from 32 -> 36 if I recall right and plat dropped to 21ish or something. Gm went to <1% etc, slight changes but biggest was they moved people from plat to gold (i think it was season 4 or 5? and boy were people mad when they were used to be in plat and now they were in gold).

Ive climbed out of plat 5 times, technically even more times becuse if I decay and lose 1 game im in plat and climb out. And your back to gold right now, so tbh you are not mechanically skilled to climb out of plat. Ive been diamond player most of my career and when my smurf was in plat it doesent matter what I pick, I just
cant drop to gold even if im playing heroes that aint my bread and butter. Also the climbing is not just a matter of "wanting" as its a PvP ladder.

Ive played this games for way too many hours. Ive encountered one (1) guy who was really fishy and might have had wallhacks or he was just having the luckiest game he ever had. Also when you 6 stack you should make sure you 6 stack with same people over and over again since you will be facing alot 6 stacks and they might have a lot play time together and will crush your sore asses.

So when you solo q you have odds 6 against 5 for having throwers / trolls unless you throw or troll you self. So you are in advantage by nature if you dont troll or throw your self. If you do duos or 3 stacks with people you know wont troll or throws your odds will raise to 6 vs 3-4. So on average if you 3 stack you have 1 thrower on your team for 2 throwers on enemy team. So in a long run throwers give you free SR, wow!

Climbed out of plat as supp, dps and as a tank. Maybe it was luck, maybe it wasnt.

ONLY? Dude your always having such strong opinions that are such bs. Like said in the first part that some one them are just straight up lies that can be proven otherwise. But do you know about them mercy mains? As being in diamond for most of my career I can tell you that the most "one tricked" healer in that rating is mercy. There is rarely a game where is 0 mercy mains. Its not too uncommon to have more than 2 each game, ive seen 4 in one team. Ive hear people saying they have seen 5 in one team, thought they have been mercy mains them selfs. Never seen or heard about 6 in on team, but you know what? All those mercy mains climbed out of plat with mercy. Now lets think about your statement about zen or moira, yeah sure those might be good options for YOU, but your talking about "most" players while reflecting about your own stuff. For me very first time climbing out of plat I was pretty much a lucio OTP, flexed if needed but lucio was pretty much needed anyways and there werent many lucio mains. So for me it was lucio, and my empirical data for many seasons and maybe like, idk maybe 1000ish hours soon shows that mercy is easiest the most common healer to climb with.

Alternatively I could say that im in elo hell in high dia - low master as thats been pretty much where is my current skill cap, but im not delusional so im not gonna call it elo hell. But it doesent matter if I say that or not, I could still state that bronze to diamond is easy climb if you have skill and decent game sense. Even climbing to high master and higher is easy IF you have the skill and game sense. Sure the ladder is not perfect and it never will be. But its damn good tho.

You know how the SR system works for below diamond? The current system is pretty much fool proof that if you deserve to climb you will climb, no matter what. Saying that other players pull you down is just a delusion that people have for their fantasies of elo hell to harden their ego that they are actually better than their rank. The simple answer is, no your not. Even for diamond+ where the new SR system is in effect you will climb if you deserve it, it might take longer time or might be fast depending on luck since there is a bit luck factor for that now for the new system, but that doesent prevent one from climbing, just might take bit longer. Unless the reason your not climbing is YOU. And thats the only and only reason one is not climbing is them selfs.

i agree but not fully the ladder in this game is mostly based on luck as soon as you get to plat YES you will climb if you deserve it but it could be anywhere from 2 hours to 2 weeks depending on the teams you get and this is even worse above diamond as win % matters even more they need to make a new rank system and a lfg tool its the only way to fix this game now i dont care about SR i play to get better but when was the last time i played a game and thoaght ye ok that was a good game nice matchmaking?

The answer is never its either our team that get rolled or their team boosted players new players starting in plat with no game sense completely ruins that part of the elo and then we come on to smurfs they are probably not noticeable but even i have a lvl 100+ smurf that i just play sometimes that ranges from 2800-3600 depending on if i decay or not or play with some friends the skill difference inside plat is so big its kind of a joke you have people that deserve silver in plat and people that deserve high masters-GM but they do not drop because these silver players usually play support or tank and keep at that rank.

Now im not saying that i cant get out of plat it normally takes me like 2-4 hours to get 400 SR or so but for someone who deserves 3100 legit playing in that elo can take months to climb out or they can get lucky and do it on a winstreak where the enemy team just gets trolls within few hours BUT so can the players that deserve silver and that is what is ruining the game.

I cant count how many times i have seen a player with good game sense in plat that has got a pick and asked the dva to go and clear a hero of highground and that dva just shifts on point and starts hitting the tanks that is a great example of silver game sense but was able to carry out of them ranks or got placed in plat just because he is playing dva and most likely got good assist stats and racked damage up on the tanks its really messed up.

For the hacking that was mentioned yes there is alot of hacking in overwatch it is mostly pixel bots now this does not mean they are going to get 100% accuracy and you will notice it these are normally the players that have so bad game sense that they will not take high ground as soldier or have bad movement on tracer but still land one clips.

I have seen tracers with 21% critital hit accuracy and 10 hours played vs them and it was obv that they was hacking 2 months later they have still not been ban and have climbed around 2000 SR blizzard need to remove borderless window mode for competitive to fix that problem but they wont.
30/03/2018 09:18Posted by Basso

These are, like you said, early stats. from meta charts and such that I see most activity for anything seems to be plat, maybe it's not 50-90% but it's still the largest in the game, so yeah maybe I got the percentages wrong but it wouldn't be a stretch to say I'm still right.

1 - fell out BECAUSE of throwers, 2700 climbing strong all the way down to 2450, then I had people who refused to play as a team, currently in the process of climbing back, thank you very much.
also, what do you mean PvP ladder? it's a team based game?
and yeah, maybe you can climb back and forth, I'm saying for people who don't enjoy playing roles like dps or tank, support isn't hard to climb with, I never said that, I climbed up to 2700 playing just zen in solo q, getting decent teams.

Most games I've played in a 6 stack have been against hackers or master smurfs, guess you must have just been lucky with your teams.

that doesn't necessarily make any sense, yes there's a lot of throwing but if even 1 person is throwing that can easily cost a game, I mean the amount of times I've had a mei that would wall us off a point in overtime on a winning game, etc.
Even if the enemy team had 2 throwers they could easily have a more mechanically skilled team other than that, or even a smurf.
I'm speaking out of my experience, not everyone elses.

Support depends on the hero, dps and tank is down to skill, or game sense.

Mercy is a no-brainer and I was talking about climbing with "skill"
Mercy and Lucio have rather low skill ceilings, even tho they are rather fun.

The ladder is good, I never said that it wasn't. I was saying that plat is the point in the ladder where everything seems to get turned on its head.

again, never said that the people were the only thing pulling me down, also, the performance based sr system is terrible, it literally promotes one-tricking and it promotes not switching, and either way you can perform well and not get much sr gain.
I understand that I asm a factor in my climbing and falling, and I look over to improve that as much as possible, however, there isn't really a way to improve in an environment like the one I am in, you can't necessarily play say zen in a team environment where you would be getting dived 24/7 with no protection, etc.
I believe that I could be diamond if I were to get better teammates, or luck.
I do not delude myself in thinking I deserve anything more, however I use the term ELO Hell lightly, I don't mean it as an excuse, I mean it as a reason.
And hey if you can't accept that then I would dread having to play with someone like you, you seem real toxic :V
My main is 3670 and I have two accounts in plat, and the 2950-3050 bracket is so freaking stupid, there is so many GM/Top 500 Smurfs at this level of play boosting there friends out of lower tiers and up to diamond, even for me I struggle so hard to hit 3K because of this but after around 3050 I can go straight up to 3400 with very few loses, I don't get why so many people want to Diamond, is the shiny emblem so pretty to your little minds that you need your GM friend to boost you? sad... you will never be worthy of 3k if you can't get there yourself...
02/04/2018 20:58Posted by Bottom500
My main is 3670 and I have two accounts in plat, and the 2950-3050 bracket is so freaking stupid, there is so many GM/Top 500 Smurfs at this level of play boosting there friends out of lower tiers and up to diamond, even for me I struggle so hard to hit 3K because of this but after around 3050 I can go straight up to 3400 with very few loses, I don't get why so many people want to Diamond, is the shiny emblem so pretty to your little minds that you need your GM friend to boost you? sad... you will never be worthy of 3k if you can't get there yourself...

uhhhhh ok xd
I intentionally main Mercy because she can always be picked no matter what the enemies pick if you are good enough with dashes.

And from my experience it doesn't matter how much you heal 3x DPS or double sniper comps with Torb on attack - Platinum is simply beyond salvation.
If you are stuck in bronze/silver/gold/plat/diamond, you are simply not improving. As soon as you will stop thinking about how your teammates perform and what heroes they play, you will climb. In your mind guy who picked insert_character_name is throwing while in reality you might not perform well either. Any 2CP/KotH map below high masters is winnable as 6 DPS
The matchmaking system is also trash at platinum. Im going 2 record all my matchmakings and post it here.
02/04/2018 14:09Posted by Auro

again, never said that the people were the only thing pulling me down, also, the performance based sr system is terrible, it literally promotes one-tricking and it promotes not switching, and either way you can perform well and not get much sr gain.
I understand that I asm a factor in my climbing and falling, and I look over to improve that as much as possible, however, there isn't really a way to improve in an environment like the one I am in, you can't necessarily play say zen in a team environment where you would be getting dived 24/7 with no protection, etc.
I believe that I could be diamond if I were to get better teammates, or luck.
I do not delude myself in thinking I deserve anything more, however I use the term ELO Hell lightly, I don't mean it as an excuse, I mean it as a reason.
And hey if you can't accept that then I would dread having to play with someone like you, you seem real toxic :V

same here. i think my account is just cursed.