Tanking in this Meta

General Discussion
Calling all tank mains, how do you find tanking in the current meta? I'm very conflicted, i dont feel like it is nearly as rewarding as it used to be.
Its terrible tanking is now more of a chore than fun especially with this stun meta ....(sigh) but someone still has to do it if you want to win
The job got a lot more involved, that's for sure...

As for rewarding, I'd say that's up to your team. True, it's become a lot more challenging, but in my experience, pulling it off despite it being a lot harder makes the team appreciate it all the better...
I'm thinking about playing less Reinhardt and more Winston this season. If you play a hero at it's absolute weakest you will be better when he's strong.
By this logic, as soon as I get to my PC finally and not dead after a 60 hour work week I shall be great at Rein.
14/05/2018 14:43Posted by GekiritZ
True, it's become a lot more challenging, but in my experience, pulling it off despite it being a lot harder makes the team appreciate it all the better...

I don't know about that second part but nothing tops tanking a game perfectly for me. I could have 4 medals, POTG, and buy everyone their own car and I still wouldn't get a single vote.

But switch out from the only tank since no one is using the space you create and watch the crying begin.

14/05/2018 16:48Posted by BartFitz
I'm thinking about playing less Reinhardt and more Winston this season.

It's not a bad idea really, been doing a bit of this. He doesn't seem to be expected much so you can really catch the enemy with their pants down.

I like to start the attack with Winston if I die a couple of times with him with no results to show for it I swap to a tank best suited to deal with the enemy team. Rein usually good cuz if I stay out of sight right before I engage I can pull of a cheeky pick or two.
I am a diehard Rein, barely switch.
I don't know about that second part but nothing tops tanking a game perfectly for me. I could have 4 medals, POTG, and buy everyone their own car and I still wouldn't get a single vote.

I exclusively play in a 4~6 stack group on both comp and QP with our own Discord and a set of smurfs to play together in across SR's ;) If I get to be last Reinhardt standing versus a CC-stack, I always get my pat on the back :P
14/05/2018 18:18Posted by BartFitz
I am a diehard Rein, barely switch.

Bless you. The world needs more Reins.
Having more luck/success with Rein than Orisa for some reason. Probably since swinging a hammer recklessly is an easier deterrent against annoying gnats (Genji/Tracer) than trying to hit them with Orisa's gun. Teammates help? Pfft, better not to count on that so as not to be disappointed.

Thought maybe Brig would make things tougher for Rein and would need to play more Orisa (not that I'd mind), but people play Brig way too aggro. She does SB, guess what, that's a free charge -> kill. If she waits to counter my Charge with SB, I'll swing away. She tries swinging her egg whisker, Rein's dmg + double health will kill her faster than she kills me since her heal procs after a second and only heals 16 HPS. With Brig in many comps, it's also brought back enemy Rein, where I feel like I have the edge, having at one point been a near Rein OTP.
15/05/2018 04:23Posted by Littlewolf
Bless you. The world needs more Reins.

Needs more real Reinhardts, not this flex mess this meta has brought. "Ugh guys, I know I have absolutely zero time on any tank, but I once got a flankshatter in quick play and it ended up killing two people so I think I can play Rein for you." Sad reality is, as of now tank mains - and mainly main tank mains - are a dying breed.

15/05/2018 08:34Posted by DamtheMan
Having more luck/success with Rein than Orisa for some reason. Probably since swinging a hammer recklessly is an easier deterrent against annoying gnats (Genji/Tracer) than trying to hit them with Orisa's gun. Teammates help? Pfft, better not to count on that so as not to be disappointed.

Orisa is fairly hard to play against Gengus and Traclets. Reinhardt for all his problems is still a better pick in my opinion as all of his kit has the mobility advantage. Orisa can barely move without her shield as she is incredibly squishy thanks to the moon sized head she's having, and her fire also slows her down (while it can be used to scale down boops if fortify is on CD).

15/05/2018 08:34Posted by DamtheMan
Thought maybe Brig would make things tougher for Rein and would need to play more Orisa (not that I'd mind), but people play Brig way too aggro. She does SB, guess what, that's a free charge -> kill. If she waits to counter my Charge with SB, I'll swing away. She tries swinging her egg whisker, Rein's dmg + double health will kill her faster than she kills me since her heal procs after a second and only heals 16 HPS. With Brig in many comps, it's also brought back enemy Rein, where I feel like I have the edge, having at one point been a near Rein OTP.

Same, I had my alt account where I was one-tricking Reinhardt, and I have been playing him with a fanatic devotion ever since. I am probably capable of survival out there. My problem is how in this uncoordinated ladder mess my Brigitte always bashes people away from me. Same goes to Doomfists.