Protoss Mega Thread

Tactics and Strategy
If you are looking to be playing a macro game I would recommend expanding early, either nexus first or gateway expand.

These are only openers but from this point, unless you are going for an all in or a timing attack generally what structures and when you expand next is quite reactive on what your opponent is doing.

So its hard to recommend a complete build order for a macro game where you can be attacked at any time and need to scout and respond to what you see :)

IN THE END JUST KEEP SCOUTING AND SPENDING YOUR MONEY :)

Hope this helped at all. :)
24/11/2015 17:19Posted by Ohtar
Since the thread is here, I might as well use it.

What are solid builds for noob protoss players to use that are mainly macro focused? I've been struggling to find anything to start with as most of the builds I found are mainly openers and my games fall apart completely when I reach the mid-game. Consequently, if I don't rush and win immediately, I can just GG.

Any advice will be appreciated.

If you are looking to be playing a macro game I would recommend expanding early, either nexus first or gateway expand.

These are only openers but from this point, unless you are going for an all in or a timing attack generally what structures and when you expand next is quite reactive on what your opponent is doing.

So its hard to recommend a complete build order for a macro game where you can be attacked at any time and need to scout and respond to what you see :)

IN THE END JUST KEEP SCOUTING AND SPENDING YOUR MONEY :)

Hope this helped at all. :)
Posted by Ohtar
Since the thread is here, I might as well use it.

What are solid builds for noob protoss players to use that are mainly macro focused? I've been struggling to find anything to start with as most of the builds I found are mainly openers and my games fall apart completely when I reach the mid-game. Consequently, if I don't rush and win immediately, I can just GG.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Macro games you need more than just greedy play styles, but you need to do some sort of early harassment.

It depends what your play style is, but mostly against zerg on the 4 player maps you can go nexus first and after that tech up and don't forget your upgrades. They are the most important thing for long Macro games.

Terran is tricky because you are constantly going to run into MMM Balls with liberators in the mix. Best advice, Cybercore then expand and start with a heavy Robo build and dont forget to add gateways as you go along. At round about the 10 min mark you should at least have 6 - 8 gw. And as well, dont forget your upgrades.

PvP I cant really help you because its the biggest wildcard in the whole game. You can do the desrow opening by risking nexus first, but then you need to get that Mamacore out asap.
After that its just scouting scouting and more scouting...
Depending what you wish to play in PvP is going to determan what kind of Macrobuild you take. If its skytos you need thos oricals all over the map. Even early phoenix is quite good, but as always, remember those upgrades, remember to stalk and remember to expand for extra resources.
PvP's can get ugly, but at the end of the day its going to be the guy with the most expansions and probes that wins the game.

Edit: Here is a replay of a nice Macro game I had. I did loose at the end but it was loads of fun to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Mw_R1dfEk

Hope this helps.
Since this thread is here, why not use it?

Is it too late to expand at 6 min? I usually expand at about 6 min.
Lol
I f ind now PvT quite easy to handle. But PvZ its so hard... (Im in Master league... so I would like not lower league players advice)
Hello.
Been sturggling with zerg. Around 42% winrate against those.
I usually have an ever footing or ahead in upgrades, army size, tech and etc. Its hard to keep up with economy but thats just zerg.
My problem comes up as soon as lurkers start popping out. When i scout roachs and hydras i usually build another robo facility, a robo bay and start pumping disruptors and immortals with adepts/stalkers from the gateways. It really feels like the lurkers erase my entire ground army before the fight can even begin, even if i hit the muscle of his army before the fight with disruptors.
Around getting my 4th i usually place two stargate and a fleet beacon and start building carriers and one oracle to tag his army and to provide with some air damage to deal with lurkers.
still, it really feels like if i dont do that (and those take !@#$ton of time) i find it really hard to deal with them.
any tips?
Hi there,

Not sure if lower league advice would count but, there are only few options I have seen so far.
1)-st and easiest - disrupters.
Downside here is that 1 lurker takes 2 shots and by 8-10 min mark he could have same or more lurkers than you disrupters.
2) Storms. HT are helpful against static units such as tanks and lurkers and etc.
Downside they are too slow, clumsy + have low HP but mainly require different tech tree besides robo bay.
3) Stargate - use combination of ground units + phoenix (or voidrays). Trick here is to lift the lurkers.
Downside here that if he has large amount of hydras - you gonna loose a lot of phoenixes in the process.
4) Not sure about carriers but temps are solid counter. With oracle you could very easily purge the map of their lowly existence.
Downside - takes quite a time.

Half of above said has either significant downsides or not very reliable. So yeah, toss has hard time dealing with them.
Hope this was helpful.
Indeed, Colossi have become too weak in Legacy of The Void! They attack faster, but so does everything else, aaaand they do much less damage now, 2 x 15 when FULLY upgraded, even against MMM it's too little damage, it should be the old 2 x 21 damage, fully upgraded...
Colossi has always been glasscannons basically, but they should be a fearsome sight on the battlefield, not a flimzy one...
Wtb basic tactics/openers/strategies for Lotv !!
Bring back Nostalrius instead!

https://www.change.org/p/mike-morhaime-legacy-server-among-world-of-warcraft-community
25/11/2015 08:51Posted by Andersone
ow to defend against

ately not least: This will take time, do not expect to get to the topp leagues fast. It will just kill your motivation

Hi,

This a copy from a reply is posted elsewhere, but it outlines the most important aspects of improving in this game, im my opinion.

Focus on the basics:

-Continously making probes
-expanding
-use your minerals/gas (dont' have a huge bank unless you have 200/200, maybe not even then)
I have been high master (rank 2) before grandmaster came out, and some games I was still horrible at this)

You should definately copy buildorders, but understand(!) why they work.

I would start of with one macro build for each matchup, and focus on the basics.
This can get you to platinum/lower diamond by itself. Not saying you shouldnt switch buildorders and tactics, but your focus should be on the basics, not which building to put where and when.
learn how to defend against cheese, maybe try a few of your own. But keep in mind that doing cheese, only improves your skill in that spesific strat, which is not really usefull regarding improvement versus defending against the cheese.

And last but definately not least: This will take time, do not expect to get to the topp leagues fast. It will just kill your motivation. In fact, dont focus on your league at all, just focus on improving. Study every replay after you played a match, at least when you did't win. Even if you think you knew why you lost the match, you will still find other mistakes and area of improvements.

Do all off the above, and I guarantee you that you will improve alot.

This is good advice! I'll stick to this advice. Especially when I'm loosing - I will check out the replays. Maybe I can learn from loosing a fight. I dont expect to win every fight. Thanks for these basic tips and advices.
don`t you think Protoss is op?
and why DK doesnt nerf protoss?
and why Blizzard doesnt dismiss DK?
04/11/2016 01:16Posted by Creative
don`t you think Protoss is op?
and why DK doesnt nerf protoss?
and why Blizzard doesnt dismiss DK?

You got your wish. Protoss were weak before, now they are even weaker and everyone else got buffed.

#tosstears
Hey guys, I'm a current Plat player, how would you recommend defending against Siege tanks? Cheers :)
31/01/2017 19:23Posted by Celestial
Hey guys, I'm a current Plat player, how would you recommend defending against Siege tanks? Cheers :)

Depends on what you play, if you play Protoss then lifting the tanks up with phoenix or sniping them with a void ray is not a bad idea...otherwise, archons can help soak the damage or you can go disruptors if you are the type that can micro really really well...immortals are good too but make sure you focus fire with them otherwise they are kinda dead...immortals are not as good against tanks as they once were...
23/11/2015 17:23Posted by Nakatoir
Welcome to the protoss mega thread.

Use this specific thread to have any of your questions about all things protoss answered by your fellow players!
aahhhhhhhhh pls help!
I win my PvP matches, thats fine, PvZ is good, althought i dont rlly use carrier(more HT/zelot/archon/immortal and im struggling with PvT. i usally et a quick attack, and i defend it and then the drops start. with the drops the colossi are just not enough against consistent marines. any methodes?
Heheheheehehehehehehehe
Please delete protoss