Unable to locate or re-install the game

Starcraft II Technical Support
Earlier today when the connection issues started happening the game crashed on me and ever since my battle.net is no longer able to find the game in the folder.

I've tried to use the scan for games option or just the locate and select my starcraft 2 folder, both result in the Unable to Locate Game error (error code BLZBNTAGT00000AF0). A solution given on the error page is to run it from the game folder itself through the .exe, this gives me the exact same error.

So I figured I would just re-install the game, and when I try to delete the old starcraft 2 installation through my control panel it takes me to the battle.net client asking me if I want to uninstall, which is instantly aborts due to not being able to find it.

So can I still try something to make the battle.net client find my installation and if not, how can I delete this old installation?

And if I have to re-instal the game, I own the legacy of the void on cd, does installing from this install most core game files such as wings of libery and heart of the swarm? Because that would reduce the total ammount of data I have to download by alot. And installing from a disc is a lot faster than downloading for me.

Thanks in advance!
Hey Drynix,

Sounds like there may have been damage done to some of the game files when the game crashed on you.

What I'd try is reinstall the game into the same place as the current installation. The installer will try to use as many of your current game files as possible and if there are only a few corrupt files it should only download a few of the game files and overwrite the corrupt ones. If there are many damaged game files, you may end up downloading a lot of the game files though.
Hi
I have the same problem as what Drynix experienced. Last night I played SC2 without any problem but today after a game crash, the play button replaced with install button in the Battlenet luncher. Locating the folder caused this error:

this folder doesn't contain the correct version of this game / BLZBNTAGT00000AF0

In my case, I can't simply reinstall with addressing old folder in order to replace crashed files, since destination drive (C:) suffers the lack of 15GB space and for starting the installation I need at least 30GB free space. And of course, I have the bandwidth limit and I can't install this game again!
Is there any less painful way to scan and repair the files?
Thank you.
i have a solution. each piece of software is bound to the system through the registry. just open regedit and remove the starcraft 2 registry keys. that should enable you to reinstall.
09/12/2017 14:34Posted by andreasasp
i have a solution. each piece of software is bound to the system through the registry. just open regedit and remove the starcraft 2 registry keys. that should enable you to reinstall.

How?
the game`s installation path is located in the registry. installed location is in hkey local user/local settings/software/microsoft/windows/shell/muicache
09/12/2017 16:35Posted by andreasasp
the game`s installation path is located in the registry. installed location is in hkey local user/local settings/software/microsoft/windows/shell/muicache

Ok. I have no idea what you mean, can you give me an step by step instruction?
a step by step guide? first you open run. there you type regedit. from regedit you browse to the path i have already specified. select Hkey current user. then you find classes under that. then local settings under classes. software under local ettings. microsoft under software, windows under microsoft, shell under windows and muicache under shell. there you find a key the specify the installation path of starcraft 2. delete that key.
I suggest to follow the path from andreasasp
i got same issue today and dont find any way to fix it then i found this post and this helps alot after delete the paths i instant can start the game again without issues

Got the Problem with SCII and with Heroes of the Storm and both fixxed so i guess its a kinda standart problem for battle net and this fix the issue so thanks a lot :)
u can still open sc2 by opening an empty map in the editor and importing it to the game, going to the point overview will bring u to the login menu

this doesnt fix the issue with finding te game but is a work arond to get the game started, this should be fixed by blizz and not us

i rly wonder which as*hole caused this mess
if u r discontent with blizz policies dont let it out on the gamers...
25/08/2016 11:45Posted by Deanx
Hey Drynix,

Sounds like there may have been damage done to some of the game files when the game crashed on you.

What I'd try is reinstall the game into the same place as the current installation. The installer will try to use as many of your current game files as possible and if there are only a few corrupt files it should only download a few of the game files and overwrite the corrupt ones. If there are many damaged game files, you may end up downloading a lot of the game files though.

yeah and by chance quite a lot eu players suddenly have their files dmged...ofc it s the players fault and not the guys messing up an update or some other weird ppl
same for me.
09/12/2017 22:12Posted by andreasasp
a step by step guide? first you open run. there you type regedit. from regedit you browse to the path i have already specified. select Hkey current user. then you find classes under that. then local settings under classes. software under local ettings. microsoft under software, windows under microsoft, shell under windows and muicache under shell. there you find a key the specify the installation path of starcraft 2. delete that key.

this doesnt hlp at all
though i was able to open the regeditor command in win+r everything else u stated is a mess.
it s microsoft>windows>current version (and under that it s just more irrelevant stuff).
software is a path by itself unlike what u stated.
local settings, shell and muicache dont exist

to be fair i m using win10 and u might be using a different system

also deleting that key what jsut enable me to reinstall the game, it would be much faster to fix the issue why the key is suddenly missing in the first place if we had a way to add it again

after all the folder still exists and wasnt moved or anything
alright for win10 user like me, u can try this:
open taskmanager (i m using german keyboard so it s strg+alt+entf for me)
close all bnet related programs
restart bnet launcher and wait a moment
ur sc2 should now have the update button again, updating the game worked properly for me now and i have now my play-button back...without reinstalling the game or messing with the registry
24/04/2019 08:28Posted by Yawgmoth
alright for win10 user like me, u can try this:
open taskmanager (i m using german keyboard so it s strg+alt+entf for me)
close all bnet related programs
restart bnet launcher and wait a moment
ur sc2 should now have the update button again, updating the game worked properly for me now and i have now my play-button back...without reinstalling the game or messing with the registry
Yawgmoth .. thanks mate this worked for me
Open Task Manager, then go to processes and shut down all battle net/starcraft related programs. Then open battle net as administrator. Worked for me..
Worked out for me! Thank you!
Hey all,

Closing this old thread now, please remember to not bump threads that old. I'll leave this thread open for now, as that is a new thread about this same issue. Note that this should already be resolved, but please do let us know if you continue to encounter trouble.