Terran can't counter Mass Carriers

Tactics and Strategy
I know this sounds like a noob question, but I am a Masters Terran.
Current status of this game is broken: Mass carriers are uncountable by terran, no matter what units Terran use.
Well, I know I know, the best way to stop Mass carriers is kill toss before he reaches this point. Stop him in early game!!
Of course I know, I'm a Masters Terran! But this doesn't justify the fact that there is no way to counter Mass carriers from Terran.
In 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, or FFA, it's very easy to mass carriers actually. Even in 1v1, from time to time (say, 5% of the time), Protoss can manage Mass Carriers too. The problem now is, once Protoss manages to mass carriers, Terran just dies. I don't see a way to counter it.
The best approach I know by far is Mass marine + mines + turrets + thors with 30 scvs keep repairing. This way can't kill carriers, because mines + turrets don't move, but you can hold them off for a moment. All protoss needs to do is attack from a different direction.

All other options won't work:
Vikings: completely useless, even with good micro (focus fire)
Liberators: Libs used to be very effective against carriers. But with last change. Interceptors are easy to build, and Lib's vs light damage is removed. So it becomes useless now.
BC: useless, can be kited like an idiot.
Thors + marines: with good economy, can hold for a moment, but will fail quickly.
mines + marines: same as above. It only work when you have superior resources. Bascially you are trading marines with interceptors.
Any other units?
Carriers are retarded units
sc Tank you are rly low if u write this sh it u are nothing and rage on carriers? carriers are gold unit need more mine and gas if u dont know how to safe it?
Fentoyal
2 posts
1 day ago

I know this sounds like a noob question, but I am a Masters Terran.
Current status of this game is broken: Mass carriers are uncountable by terran, no matter what units Terran use.
Well, I know I know, the best way to stop Mass carriers is kill toss before he reaches this point. Stop him in early game!!
Of course I know, I'm a Masters Terran! But this doesn't justify the fact that there is no way to counter Mass carriers from Terran.
In 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, or FFA, it's very easy to mass carriers actually. Even in 1v1, from time to time (say, 5% of the time), Protoss can manage Mass Carriers too. The problem now is, once Protoss manages to mass carriers, Terran just dies. I don't see a way to counter it.
The best approach I know by far is Mass marine + mines + turrets + thors with 30 scvs keep repairing. This way can't kill carriers, because mines + turrets don't move, but you can hold them off for a moment. All protoss needs to do is attack from a different direction.

All other options won't work:
Vikings: completely useless, even with good micro (focus fire)
Liberators: Libs used to be very effective against carriers. But with last change. Interceptors are easy to build, and Lib's vs light damage is removed. So it becomes useless now.
BC: useless, can be kited like an idiot.
Thors + marines: with good economy, can hold for a moment, but will fail quickly.
mines + marines: same as above. It only work when you have superior resources. Bascially you are trading marines with interceptors.
Any other units?

Dont play starcraft 2 you low pll. U write bul !@#$.
18/09/2017 12:08Posted by Maniacks
sc Tank you are rly low if u write this sh it u are nothing and rage on carriers? carriers are gold unit need more mine and gas if u dont know how to safe it? My problém isnt if want dont need toilet 1-1 open for me. You zero i want kill you add me you sh it :D come to me. :D :D :D Rush never do vs me :P do it

U a moron or something?
Move on nerd
a ton of raven missiles with some tank air units like bc?
U need to focus fire them,right ?
Just saw the title and thinking Thor Marine and a few Viking. Not a difficult job.
^^ dude what do u know lol
actually, terran can counter everything but terran can't move forward!
the higher i become in an league. protos uses more carriers. So frustrating.

I just had a game. i had 3-3 upgraded marines he had like 1 attack and 1 armor on his carriers.

he reached 4 carriers. i couldnt stop him. even a nuke ontop of 7 carriers didnt kill them instant. bah for such mistake they should die in 1 hit :P

Carriers so retarded.

Protos defended 100% of the time we were even. i tried to burst few time. failed retreat to my base. once i see 4 carriers with like 0 upgrades. i had 2-2 at that time. i was like. my upgrades are much better. i still have a chance. but there is no chance vs this $#!$! unit @#()$*%(!#&^%$*#%)#(@
Don't bother dude we won't get any reaction on this.
A lot of other people are complaining about this retarded unit,but 0 reection on it
he reached 4 carriers. i couldnt stop him. even a nuke ontop of 7 carriers didnt kill them instant. bah for such mistake they should die in 1 hit :P

I understand that mass carriers can be a problem, but if you loose against 4 of them its clearly because the rest of his army is bigger than yours (or better microed).

mines + marines: same as above. It only work when you have superior resources.

If you micro properly, you should have greater economy, but this is just theory, so probably in a real match the difference will hardly ever be enough.

Saying that you can't counter mass carriers when protoss manages to build them its almost like saying that you can't win when your opponent is at your base and you have no army nor resources to build it. This is not a MOBA where you can comeback the whole game in one teamfight in the lategame, in SC you can loose a game even before you engage your enemy (though I'm pretty sure you know this better than me).

I'm not saying that mass carriers with a-click should be unbeatable (which they probably are atm and shouldn't) but I think that, as hard as it is to get, it should always have the advantage ("advantage", not the almost secure win thay have atm). They probaly need a nerf (or a buff to their counters may have the same effect), but the mass carrier composition should still have advantage over any other (remember they have the longest build time, though I'm not sue if its the same with chrono boost, but if you add the time to build the 4 interceptors it doesn't have on spawn, he surely still is).

PS: I personally think that its even more unfair to let you build units that cost less and take less time to build and just have the advantage over an easy scoutable army with really expensive and slow building/moving units (lets not talk about the battlecruiser, which is, in my opinion, underpowered fot its cost, or at leats to slow to tech into).
Are you talking about pure mass carrier, or mass carrier with some ground support (specifically HT+storm)?. Just carriers are certainly beatable - they are very powerful (as a previous comment says, they should be, given the cost and disadvantages involved), but their main weakness is speed. Carriers are very slow, and are only really stupidly powerful when you get a critical mass of them - meaning if your opponent splits his forces, they lose effectiveness. They also require a very healthy economy, so if you can do multiple small attacks from different positions, you should be able to cripple his infrastructure and diminish his ability to rebuild interceptors.
mass marines is a possible strategy to use.
13/10/2017 08:37Posted by Supremas
the higher i become in an league. protos uses more carriers. So frustrating.

I just had a game. i had 3-3 upgraded marines he had like 1 attack and 1 armor on his carriers.

Carriers so retarded.

Protos defended 100% of the time we were even. i tried to burst few time. failed retreat to my base. once i see 4 carriers with like 0 upgrades. i had 2-2 at that time. i was like. my upgrades are much better. i still have a chance. but there is no chance vs this $#!$! unit @#()$*%(!#&^%$*#%)#(@

I dont know whot u low league you play or with low toss you play. But i have 89% games better upgrade on air(carriers) then zerg or terran ground/air. 11% is often 4-1 so he can more expand and have better upgrades then me. Or just he is skilled. But carriers can not for your low skill lose is lose its all. See you
13/10/2017 08:50Posted by ScTank
Don't bother dude we won't get any reaction on this.
A lot of other people are complaining about this retarded unit,but 0 reection on it

When we play 1-1? I want win vs you. When i see your profile i must smile. You are noob and write here vulgar. Pls add me i destroy you.
Thx
The one saving grace I find with Protoss air enemies is their speed. I manage to have reasonable success fairly often especially as Zerg because the run by's are so easy. My strategy is to force Mass Recalls.

With Carriers they can't attack you and defend themselves very easily and they can't attack easily without defending. As soon as you know he's coming across the map try to drop or run by in 2 or more bases.

You might get into a base trade but it usually works well.