LFM: Discussions about how we use games

Gaming, Entertainment and Science
En Taro Adun!

I am looking for participants for group discussions OR individual interviews about how we as players use multiplayer online computer games like WoW, SCII, LoL, CS: GO, and other games (e.g. what you prefer to do in that game, who you usually interact with, how/if you plan the next time you play, etc.). Anyone who regularly plays a Multiplayer-Online-Game, is over 16 years of age (consent to participate in research reasons), and can speak English fluently is welcome to participate.

Currently, in the media as well as in research, games are portrayed in non-representative ways, as if all games are the same, all players are the same, and all players play a game the same way.
With your help I would like to — on a game-by-game basis — question how individual games are actually being played (or, more generally, how they are used. For example: reading or writing a guide isn’t actually part of playing the game, but it is still connected to it).

If you are interested and want to find out more, please read on! Otherwise, thank you for reading this far. If you know anyone who might be interested, please feel free to forward this along to them :-)
More about me and this project:

My name is Florian and this project is the first part of a larger study I am doing for my PhD at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. I have played computer games (all kinds, currently mainly SCII, WoW, and LoL) for the past 20 years and I have always enjoyed discussing the games with friends and others, which is where a lot of my interest in games stems from.

If you decide to participate, you will be taking part in a group-discussion with 3-5 other participants (either your friends or random participants) or an individual interview (depending on your preference) to discuss how you play/use a multiplayer online computer game YOU would like to discuss. These discussions will be conducted using the video/audio conferencing software zoom or skype (again, the software and if it is audio or video chat depends on your preference), and are expected to take between 45 and 60 minutes.
I am planning to conduct all discussions in February or early March, and I will try to arrange dates and times to suit everyone.

If you would like to participate or want more information, please read the info and fill in the short form at this link (http://vuw.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8llbzOIH25Ys4KN).
(I can’t provide my e-mail address as contact here because of the Forum Guidelines/Code of Conduct, but it can be found on the information sheet for participants at the beginning of the form.)

Thank you for reading!

Adun Toridas!
Florian

The security statement of qualtrics (the survey software my uni uses) can be found here: https://www.qualtrics.com/security-statement/
This research has been approved by the Victoria University of Wellington Human Ethics Committee [application no. 0000025257].
Hi everyone, based on the feedback from other forums I have made some changes to how the discussions will be conducted, as well as to the online form.

1) Participants can choose: to participate in group discussion or interviews
if the discussion is video and audio or just audio
if the discussion is conducted via zoom or skype
2) I uploaded the participant information sheet with more information on the project to the first page of the online form
3) I uploaded the (at this stage optional) consent form for participants to the end of the online form, mainly to provide more information. This only has to be filled in once you decide to participate
4) I added the link to the security statement of the company used for the online form to the ad