Multiplayer Introduction

Multiplayer Discussion
Starcraft II is a Real Time Strategy (RTS) game and, even if it has an amazing single player campaign, its best part is the multiplayer. Starcraft II was build from the beginning to be an e-sport. How you can start? This topic wants to be an introduction for new players, here you will find useful links and hints.

First, if you are totally new to RTS, you should play the singleplayer campaign. Its storyline is gorgeous and you will also be able to learn some basic mechanics of Starcraft (like resources gathering, how to build up bases, units and so on). You can discuss about mission, lore and topic related to singleplayer, in this section: --> http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/11819/

After this you should do Challenges. Challenges are 9 in total, they are a singleplayer experience and they are here to be a bridge toward multiplayer. Each mission has 3 different objectives, if you complete all of them with a Gold award you will acquire a good amount of experience with units, races and basic multiplayer's mechanics. Don't worry if you will have to repeat some of them, this is normal, challenges are not meant to be easy. More you practice, more you will learn. More information about this, here: --> http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/1834019

Now you can start to play with and against other human beings. My advice is to chose one specific race and play mainly with it, so you can focus on its unit, building, strategies and you will learn more faster how to play. When you hit for the first time the Multiplayer button you will have the option to play 50 matches in a Practice League. You don't have to do them all, you can just play a bit here so you can choose your favorite race. Remember that in this league the game speed is slower than normal and maps have some variants to help you, so this is not a real environment, don't focus too much. Use this time to try each of the 3 races and choose what you like most for the real ladder. You can have more information about races and units, here: --> http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/game/

If you are looking for a complete list of FAQs about Ladder and League, just go there: --> http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2418222057

The most popular league is the 1v1. A bloody duel with another player. This is also the most difficult, so you should play here only when you will have some experience. My advice is to start form 4v4 and 3v3, where you are with other allies. They can help you and you will not have all the match on your shoulder. The most fun thing is to find some friends and play with them regularly. There are a lot of way to find someone, you can use this forum, in-game chat system, official fansite website, or you can bring to Starcraft II some of your real friends! The first matches could be a bit frustrating, but after few games you will learn the basics and more positive results will come.

Another important aspect is the language used by us. Often we use a lot of neologism and acronyms, here you can find an helpful list:
--> http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/47685
--> http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/273068
At one point you will start to think: What kind of strategy should I use? Well, this is the central point of this game: find the best strategy for your play stile, for each map and for your opponent. You should try to see and understand what your enemy is doing, so you will be able to adopt the appropriate response. Scouting is really important, you should always know where and what your enemy is building, what type of units. You can send an SCV/Probe/Drone to see your opponent in the first part of the match, than you can use Observer/Changeling or Terran's scan. If you see that he is building up a large amount of troops, maybe he is going to attack soon. If you see he is fast expanding his base, maybe you can try to attack him as fast as you can (since he should not have a lot of units). In this forum there are some sections entirely dedicated to games tactics.

Another really important aspect is to see your replays, in particular when your enemy win with a huge margin. In this way you can see what he did and next time you will have more chance to survive. Replays are saved automatically and you can find them inside the appropriate menu in Battle.net.

LINKS
Useful links, if you want to add something just write it in a replay and I'll update this list.

You can find this topic in Italian, here: http://eu.battle.net/sc2/it/forum/topic/1622867523
Another good post. No wonder you are mvp, bro ^-^.

+1'ed and sticky'd

Oh man who keeps reporting posts?? Is this some way to get a mods attention or what?
Shouldn't you add my little guide to all 3 races to the list? Anyway, good post dude, just like HiveMind said, no wonder your MVP :)

EDIT: No wait, i guess i should make the list complete before you put it in there.
Shouldn't you add my little guide to all 3 races to the list? Anyway, good post dude, just like HiveMind said, no wonder your MVP :)

EDIT: No wait, i guess i should make the list complete before you put it in there.

Sure, just add a link here and I'll update the first topic. :D
07/03/2011 17:40Posted by HiveMind
Oh man who keeps reporting posts?? Is this some way to get a mods attention or what?

I once read that voting sticky makes reported, not sure though
HI

cann you say me how i can delet or reset my 2n2 team in sc2
HI

cann you say me how i can delet or reset my 2n2 team in sc2

Hi ladykiller :D

You can't reset or delete any of your team. When a new season starts they will have a reset.
07/03/2011 15:16Posted by Ligario
even if it has an amazing single player campaign

*cough cough*

Have you played it?
20/04/2011 15:01Posted by StingRay
even if it has an amazing single player campaign

*cough cough*

Have you played it?

Yes, I've played it and I've loved it a lot. :)
25/04/2011 15:37Posted by Ligario
Yes, I've played it and I've loved it a lot. :)

Well, everyone's opinion is their own business. Btw, in the last comment I didn't say the campaign was bad, I was just referring to it's obvious flaws.
Update

Duh, SC2 multiplayer sucks!
Hi Guys

I purchased SCII yesterday and want to see how i can play against my brother on our local network. is this possible? or do i need to purchase SCII 2x which would be a bit silly...

Thnx
Hi Guys

I purchased SCII yesterday and want to see how i can play against my brother on our local network. is this possible? or do i need to purchase SCII 2x which would be a bit silly...

Thnx

Hi!

It's not possible to play on a local network, only on Battle.net.
Rezsö it is not unbalanced. play mre games and learn the game. U will find that aswers to what u find broken and unstoppebule. What ever it is U fnd unbalanced ask about it, peopel will tell u how to deal whit it.
Personally I don`t think multiplayer is especially beginner friendly. Nobody talks, save from "glhf" and "gg", instead of which they might as well say nothing, which many people indeed do.
I have now played ten games, lost five of them to various rushes I wasn`t able to prepare for, won three to people disconnecting, one by rushing myself and one after a weird base trading episode with my banshees taking out his base while his carriers took out mine. This last one is the only real game I`ve been able to play so far, while all the rest have been both boring and annoying.

Reading such glowing texts as this one really makes me wonder if it`s talking about the same game I`m playing...
Personally I don`t think multiplayer is especially beginner friendly. Nobody talks, save from "glhf" and "gg", instead of which they might as well say nothing, which many people indeed do.
I have now played ten games, lost five of them to various rushes I wasn`t able to prepare for, won three to people disconnecting, one by rushing myself and one after a weird base trading episode with my banshees taking out his base while his carriers took out mine. This last one is the only real game I`ve been able to play so far, while all the rest have been both boring and annoying.

Reading such glowing texts as this one really makes me wonder if it`s talking about the same game I`m playing...

I started out in copper league when that existed in the beta. I had no idea what to really do, but then I started to watch commentated sc2 (husky, hdstarcraft, !!!!day[9]!!!!) which really helped me understand the game and to find the inspiration to play. But also, I found out that USUALLY (not always, people CAN be real jerks) I could ask the opponent what they thought I did wrong if i got beat, and I have tried to analyze the game (during the game) with my opponent to help him/her out many times. I like to assume that people are nice before i actually talk to them, and usually I am not disappointed.

Doing things kind of haphazardly (playing when i felt for it, but always asking the kind opponents for advice and watching a lot of day[9]), got me from copper to gold in the beta, and from gold to diamond in release (I even got into masters the first season, but dropped out a couple seasons later since i stopped playing). Just try your luck and play for fun rather than playing to improve, and I can assure you that you'll improve at blistering speeds!