Hacking - what does it take to get banned?

StarCraft II General
Hi. In a few games I've played, I've been called a hacker even though I'm not hacking. Just some well placed observers and such.
But I mean, what if a bunch of those players report you for being a hacker? Some people can just report, with the only reason being the fact that they lost. Doesn't Blizzard get suspicious, when like 10 reports have come about the same player hacking, in one period of time?
En Taro Tassadar

Blizzard are very carefull when someone is reported, if you are hacking, they will discover that you are
If you are not, nothing to fear

(this is the reason it takes ages for blizz to ban someone)

Taro ruul asz
If you are reported enough times, Blizzard will look at the case. They will go through most of your recent replays, look at how you play, if you counter anything blindly etc.

If you are innocent, they will leave you without you even knowing that they have been observing you.

If you are guilty however, then you are banned.

Have a nice day :)
22/11/2011 16:26Posted by Jaxify
If you are reported enough times, Blizzard will look at the case. They will go through most of your recent replays, look at how you play, if you counter anything blindly etc.

Is there any source for that?
I'm pretty sure Blizzard has additional mechanisms to detect hacks, apart from "carefully watching your replays and making educated guesses".

there is no way that blizzard can watch your replays. they are recorded only on the players machine.

blizzard can ban you only for breaking the license agreement. if you don't modify files in the starcraft2 directory, and don't break battlenet rules (offensive language an such...), you will not be banned
back in the diablo 2 days blizzard didn't have a clue if anyone was hacking or not. they were totally inept.

botting, maphack, duping, roll backs and even server hopping for diablo clones were all rife and none of those I knew doing it, EVER got banned.

i'd like to think times have changed, but i wouldn't bet my 20/20/10 anni on it ;)
Blizzard can access your RAM memory during play which I would assume is enough to see if any external software is messing with your stuff. I dont really know how these hacks work, but I would assume blizzard knows pretty well what to look for when they do look.
try to run that "*insertwordfornotplayingfair*engine" and start the game and you'll get what we mean
23/11/2011 23:29Posted by Fenris
Blizzard can access your RAM memory during play

Any source for that?

EDIT: shorted quotation
As there seems to be a dearth of people with tech knowledge around these days I will repost my original thread on this subject from many months ago shortly after SC2 was released:

There have always been maphacks in multiplayer games (particularly RTS) and there will probably always be map hacks. There are a number of technical reasons for this and I’m going to try to break them down for you so you can understand them. Hopefully this will prevent a lot of misinformation from going around.

First of all I’m going to explain at a very basic level how map hacks work (don’t worry this does not show anyone how to build such a program). Map hacks work because all players clients (that’s the SC program you run to play the game) have to contain ALL the map data. This is done because most of the data held to play a game is NOT transmitted over the network, in fact very little data is.

It is also necessary to hold map data and unit positions locally (on your computer) to carry out such complex tasks as rendering (creating the 3D view you see) the cameras view and determining where objects can be moved, placed and pathing for units, targeting and even some combat resolution. All these things are done “client side” (on your computer) and not by a centralised host.

Basically both clients process data locally and then synchronise to make sure that they agree with the results, this prevents people hacking clients to break the rules. If for example I wrote a program that created tanks in my base automatically it would not be replicated in the other client and this would cause the game to desynchronise and disconnect me. Disconnect hacks work in a similar way, introducing errors in the data stream to cause the game to desynchronise, only in the case of the disconnect hack, the program tries to make Bnet think that your computer is the source of the problem rather than the hackers computer.

Now because this map data exists in your clients memory it is a relatively simple job to make it visible in the game. In fact it’s even simpler because the “fog of war” is generated by your computer to obstruct your view and in many cases this function is simply “turned off” by the hacking program, so the computer shows you the unobstructed view. Now of course the data can be encrypted etc. but it has to be decrypted on the client because you have to be able to see it and this means someone with a debugger can eventually find it and make it available. This would happen whether Blizzard used peer to peer model for their networking or a client server model, because the data resides inside the client it can be exposed.

There is one very good reason for holding data client side: SPEED. Manipulating data on your client is very fast and your game needs be updating at anything from 20-100 frames per second. While traffic on a network (particularly) the internet is relatively slow, latency of 100ms is still common, with that latency your game can only update at around 10 times a second. If you had to wait for every update from a centralised server it would make play very turgid and slow. Remember Blizzard has to design the game for more than 1v1 as well, 4v4 has to be playable too. Also the data would still exist in memory anyway so it doesn’t really resolve the problem.

There are some things Blizzard could do, one thing I’ve always considered would be quite useful would be to check regularly what IS displayed on the minimap area of the screen or do random polling of map locations that should be fogged to make sure they are. That could relegate many maphacks to external programs, making them considerably less useful or easy to use. However the hackers will always find ways round these systems, the best weapon is to ban often and ban hard, don’t let them map hacks have a life of more than a few weeks, then people won’t dare use them.

So, protecting against maphacks completely is pretty much impossible regardless of the network model. Stopping people using them is not.

I am not a hacker, just a programmer with some experience in games.

Darkheart
24/11/2011 02:40Posted by danielcw
Blizzard can access your RAM memory during play which I would assume is enough to see if any external software is messing with your stuff

Any source for that?

From the terms of service that everyone here promised theyve read:

8. Consent to Monitor.

WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 2. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, THE GAME MAY (a) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR (b) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.
@above you were too fast xD
Hi. In a few games I've played, I've been called a hacker even though I'm not hacking. Just some well placed observers and such.
But I mean, what if a bunch of those players report you for being a hacker? Some people can just report, with the only reason being the fact that they lost. Doesn't Blizzard get suspicious, when like 10 reports have come about the same player hacking, in one period of time?

Then want just bann you if 10 persons report you for hacking they will ofc look into it about you were hacking i belive sc2 got some kind of security like Wow got Warden

First of all I’m going to explain at a very basic level how map hacks work (don’t worry this does not show anyone how to build such a program). Map hacks work because all players clients (that’s the SC program you run to play the game) have to contain ALL the map data. This is done because most of the data held to play a game is NOT transmitted over the network, in fact very little data is.

This may be true but Blizzard have actually invested zero effort into protection, current map hacks use Blizzards own features against them, there are API calls which are well listed and described in blizzards own map making documentation which can enable the observer panel or disable fog internally, which are easily injected. Its disgusting how bad the security on sc2 is

Takes no time at all to find these offsets, id post them here if not for fear of posting the offsets breaking the ToS
24/11/2011 12:24Posted by Fenris

Any source for that?

From the terms of service that everyone here promised theyve read:

8. Consent to Monitor.

WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 2. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, THE GAME MAY (a) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR (b) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.

Any source for that?