Starcraft 2 tips & tricks

Multiplayer Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Highly Rated
I thought it would be nice to have a list of the various tips and facts about the game that are not widely known, but can be very useful in game. Here's what I have so far :

Control :
* Backspace cycles through all your command centers/hatcheries/nexuses.
* Ctrl+click a unit selects all units of the same type currently on screen.
* Ctrl+shift+click selects all units of that type on the screen and adds them to your selection.
* Ctrl+F1 selects all idle workers.
* Shift+number adds the currently selected units to the control group.
* Rally points can be set on units.
* Rally points can be queued to have the units follow a certain path when spawning.
* W selects all warpgates.
* Ctrl+Alt+Click on the main screen sends a signal on the minimap.
* Use Alt+Key to turn on/off autocast abilities without using the mouse.
* You can repeatedly use an ability by keeping its hotkey pressed. Works with spells (Psi Storm, EMP, Fungal Growth, etc) as well as unit production keys.

Gameplay :
* Unburrow can be set to autocast. Useful for transforming Banelings into landmines.
* Burrowed Banelings can be detonated manually.
* Spawn larva can be cast on the minimap.
* EMP can be cast on buildings like Command Center and Nexus.
* The mothership cloaks buildings.
* Chronoboost affects warpgates reducing the Warp In cooldown from 15 seconds to 11.25 seconds.
* You can cast Chronoboost on the minimap
* Mules can repair.
* Roaches can burrow under forcefields.
* You can feedback and EMP Point Defense Drones.
* Spawning creep tumors can be cancelled, restoring the energy.
* You can stimpack units inside bunkers.
* Colossus can be loaded into transports.
* SCVs with auto-repair can repair mechanical units inside medivacs.
* One on one, an unsieged tank beats a sieged tank.
* Fungal growth reveals cloaked and burrowed units.
* EMP temporarily reveals permanently cloaked units.
* Banelings are not light units.
* Hallucinated units grant vision. Use it to scout or look over cliffs.
* You can use abandoned enemy Tech Labs and Reactors with your own buildings.
* Workers that are going to collect resources or return cargo enter a special no collision mode which allows them to pass through other units (even enemy).

Trivia :
* Units will say additional dialogue if clicked multiple times.
* Repeatedly clicking on a critter will make it explode.
* Hatcheries/lair field of vision shrinks when they're mutating.
* If you build two Nydus Networks, they will be connected.
* Hatcheries provide 2 supply.
* Using Neural Parasite on a egg will kill it.
* The Nydus Network has a capacity of 1020 slots, or 255 units, whichever comes first.

Micro/macro :
Moving drop tip : to perform a moving drop, move your transport to a location, press D, and click on a transport. The transport will drop units below it while continuing to move. Do this for each transport. Useful for : baneling drops on a Terran bioball army, or for spreading your troops to avoid splash damage. Tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjRvzrFpFo

Zerg macro tip : put all your queens in a control group, then when the time to spawn larvae comes, select the group, press shift+V and click all the hatcheries on the minimap. The queen closest to each hatchery will spawn larvae there.

Sending your workers to gas tip : select 6 or more workers from your mineral line, then using shift+click remove portraits until you have exactly six. Right click on one of the geysers. Next remove 3 more portraits and send the remaining workers to the other geyser. To avoid losing any already-mined minerals after right clicking the geyser press C to return cargo. The worker will then automatically return to mine the geyser you clicked.

Command queuing tip : any ability can be queued. This allows some combos like queuing move+blink on a stalker, or move+siege mode on a tank. However you can only queue abilities that are currently on the command card. For example, you cannot queue unburrow+fungal growth on a burrowed infestor, even if fungal growth would be available when unburrowed. Baneling morph is the exeption to this rule and will be executed as soon as the command is clicked.

Field repair tip : you can drop mules on the battlefield to perform emergency repairs on units like battlecruisers which would take too long to bring back to the base.

Marines vs Banelings tip : The least APM-intensive way to micro Marines away from Banelings is by "patrolling" - (P + click) them away. This causes the closest Marine to stop and shoot while the others are still running away - then next marines only stopping when they get in range - and so on. This will reduce the Marine casualties since they don't get clumped up and die in one massive acid explosion.

Please comment with your own tips and I'll add them to this post!
I dont know if this applies to anyone else but me, but i usually lose track of my transportation unit (medivac and such) so I always sign them to control group 0.....just an idea.
- You can set rally points to units
- Mothership cloaks buildings

* Build Marines, Marauders and Medivacs. Attack when you feel like it.

+1
Queens spawn larvae can be done via minimap- group your queens, press the hotkey when you want to spawn larvae, press V then click the buildings on the minimap. The closest queen to that building will spawn larvae.
* Ctrl+click a unit selects all units of the same type currently on screen

* Ctrl+F1 selects all idle workers

* Shift+number adds the currently selected units to the control group

Mind = Blown

thanks for these tips!
Queens spawn larvae can be done via minimap- group your queens, press the hotkey when you want to spawn larvae, press V then click the buildings on the minimap. The closest queen to that building will spawn larvae.

OMG! Thanks.

+10
Looks like a lot o fthe trolls got here first but good thread!

Double clicking on a unit also selects all units of that type, I find this quite handy.

Darkheart
+1 for vic from me, nice tips :)))
Shift+number adds the currently selected units to the control group

Good to know, thanks.

About the macro tip: Does that work every time? I think that in the heat of battle misclicks can lead to disaster and looking and the minimap you don't know whether there are eggs growing on the hatchery.
It works nicely, I find it less awkward than the backspace method. If you misclick there is a message telling that you must click on a hatchery, or if there are already eggs that you can't spawn any more larvae.
Chronoboost affects warpgates reducing the Warp In cooldown.
Very useful if you need to mass units fast or even an early warpgate push
Selecting drones for gas:

For 2 geysers-
Select any number of drones above SIX (check on your UI for six+ unit icons).
Hold shift, click on the portraits until they go down to SIX. Then right click on one Vespene Geyser, all six will move to that geyser.
Then shift click your selection down to THREE, and click on the other geyser. Three will then break off and start using the other geyser.

Just a fractionally simpler way of selecting those pesky harvestors when theyre moving back and forth.

NOTE: This same technique can be used for giving different orders to any group of units- tell them all to do one thing, then remove one, then give the rest another order, then remove one, etc etc. Useful for spreading scouts like Overlords and Zerglings around the map.
Terrans: remember MULES can repair as well as mine. So if you are a long way from your nearest SCV and your Thor or Battlecruiser is on it's last 1% health, call in a mule to do some in the field repair work.
2 nidus worm building can spawn 2 exits in same time, however nidus network still work as one, and you dont lose loaded army if someone kill one of two nidus building. Nidus exits can be bind in a group, and release loaded units simulateously.
I just found a very nice video by PsyStarcraft with lots of tips. I've added some of them to the list above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiDdTjZs3Vk
cheers dude, learnt alot ;D
Ctrl+Shift+Click selects all units of that type on the screen and adds them to your current list of selected units.

(Ctrl+Click to select all Marines, then Ctrl+Shift+Click on a marauder to select all Marauders together with your Marines and finally Ctrl+Shift+Click a medivac and you'll have selected your entire MMM on the screen in 3 clicks.)