Can I play Starcraft 2 on Linux?

Gaming, Entertainment and Science
I've recently decided to switch to Linux. I've got no experience but I learn fast. I did my research and I found a post about this user that got banned after trying to run Diablo 3 on Linux. I know that the two games and teams are very different, but I do think I should ask now instead of writing numerous tickets in panic after something bad happens.
So - will Starcraft 2 recognise the newest Ubuntu and what are the chances of something going wrong and me losing the ability to play my favorite game in the future?
No, supported platforms are Windows and Mac OS X. It may run under WINE though.
Works perfectly fine under WINE for me. There was (or still is) one major issue with HotS campaign. When you tried to get bonus objectives for Kerrigan levels you got a crash every time, but after 2secs of google you can find the cure.
You can, but as said above.
You need WINE

You also need to run a few wine tricks to get it to work properly.
ie6 sound=alsa coresounds vcrun2005

Also, it is advised to run it in full-screen windowed mode on a WINE DESKTOP to avoid messy issues with GDM (KDM is less affected but it does occasionally screw up)

Lastly, expect a average fps drop of around 15 whenever you turn on shadows.

http://i.imgur.com/pro7cl8.jpg

13/04/2013 19:12Posted by tomavagyok
When you tried to get bonus objectives for Kerrigan levels you got a crash every time,

The cure is rather simple.. get rid of pulseaudio ;)
Make that KUbuntu.

I informed myself about "Wine" and "PlayOnLinux", I was just asking about the dangers of getting banned. But you people saved me an hour or more of wandering in google!

Also, my computer can run Starcraft 2 HotS on Ultra graphics with no lag (as long as it's not 4v4), so I believe that it should be able to handle it under Linux. Even if it doesn't, people tell me that disabling shadows can result in easier recognition of units, buildings, etc.

Thought since I am a devoted gamer in my free time, I've read a lot about Ubuntu and how it is unsupported by most of the games. So I've decided to keep both, windows for gaming and Linux for everything else.

Thank you for your comments, they helped me a lot.
I informed myself about "Wine" and "PlayOnLinux", I was just asking about the dangers of getting banned. But you people saved me an hour or more of wandering in google!

Ah the all mighty fear of the banhammer for playing on linux.
From experience, I can say they will NOT ban you for playing on WINE, provided you do not alter WINE to the point where you alter the game in any way other then what is allowed.
So no changing loaded files, messing with memory etc.

As long as you do not cheat, you should be fine.
I've been running all blizzards major releases for the better part of 5 years now.
WoW, Since TBC really. (And it was not easy getting some things to work back then >_<)
Diablo III, From the start, only really had some graphic driver issues which were easily resolved.
SCII, Recently, not played before the expansion hit as I had no time.

If they were to ban me because I use linux rather then windows to play their game, then so be it. However I am fairly confident even they will not ban you as long as you play fair and abide by the game rules.

After all, they control the game, you control your own computer.

Make that KUbuntu.

Sorry, anything against KDE? :)
I personally cannot stand the sight of Ubuntu's unity crap.
KDE and me simply go along better :P
13/04/2013 19:51Posted by BreakTheWind
Thought since I am a devoted gamer in my free time, I've read a lot about Ubuntu and how it is unsupported by most of the games. So I've decided to keep both, windows for gaming and Linux for everything else.

Most of us (including myself) do that. There's even a name for those Windows, Wintendo. (http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/W/Wintendo.html)

Thanks to Valve's Steam, Linux support is improving a lot each and every day, but there is still a long way to go.

Anyway, as far as Blizzard goes, the policy seems different depending on the game:
- Diablo III: I heard that some player were banned for «cheating» (only using WINE according to some players), never heard of them being unbanned (that would have been, if not the other debatable choices, the reason for me not to buy it);
- World of Warcraft: they sometimes ban Linux players by mistake, but as far as I know always unban them when customer support is contacted;
- Starcraft II: never heard of any case of player banned on Linux. I think you should be pretty safe here.

By the way, welcome in the Linux community. ;-)

[edit] After browsing WineHQ, I found the official Blizzard stance on the Diablo III case: «Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.»
Anyway, found no mention of any SCII player being banned on WineHQ.
Guys, any news?
The news is that it will never work fine on Linux even tho the Linux fundamentalists say so. Give me a Youtube clip of a lag-free-SC2 running on Linux if its tru!

The platinum rating on wine is for me a BIG but not funny joke
What's the reason for Blizzard not supporting sc2 on Linux?

I am very impressed that Valve were able to port dota2 on Linux and I feel many people will appreciate if Blizzard were able to do the same with sc2.
dunno ,,,,i guess we're too few....
plus , as us , many use WINE getting a respectable result

personally i play sc2 since the release date ,
and with an old nvidia 9600GT i run the game at med-detail
1600x900

can't complain at all....

by the way ...some regedit tweak is needed to get best -performances!
Has anyone come across a walkthrough for this? or guide to WINE set up etc? I'm thinking of reformatting an old laptop and don't want to pay for a copy of windows, so thinking of going the linux route
30/08/2013 20:59Posted by CraftyBob
I'm thinking of reformatting an old laptop and don't want to pay for a copy of windows,

You don't need new copy if you reformat it. Just save the CD key somewhere and use it when you install again.
Unless you change the mother board (which kinda goes equivalent to getting a new PC), the CD key is perfectly fine.
a bit off topic, but the second extension (protoss) may bring linux support.
10/10/2013 15:36Posted by sunbeam
a bit off topic, but the second extension (protoss) may bring linux support.

Is this a speculation or based on any hard info :) ?
Using Nimaltnet's guide, I'm able to install and play Hots with 60+ FPS on Ubuntu 13.10. You have to download and install Playonlinux for this. With slightly lowered graphical settings this runs very well. Here's the guide:

"The installer kept crashing when I used the installation DVD.
So step one is to download the windows installer from battle.net

Then start POL
Goto Tools > Manage Wine versions
Install wine 1.5.26 for x86

Select install
Select install a non-listed program
Create a new virtual drive (I didn't upgrade WOL because I didn't want to ruin my install.

Select use another version of Wine
Select 1.5.26
Choose the 32 bits windows installation
Select the installer

Relax and sit back
Installation took a while but it runs quite smooth.
Play On Linux didn't create an Icon for me. (Just like WOL, just make one manually)"
I have removed Windows altogether from one of my machines and opted to start with a clean install of Ubuntu.

It's a pity that so few games offer Linux support, however with the recently released Linux Steam client and the soon to be released Steambox which will run on Linux as well, things are finally improving.

the PS4 also runs on Debian, a linux distro. And it is even surmised that the xbox one runs on linux as well. Which is awesome since they use the x86 infrastructure that most PC's use.

I have nothing against windows, but iI don't use it for anything but gaming and its using up unnecessary disk and wallet space.
I am playing perfectly SC2 on my Ubuntu 12.04. Make sure you install it with using PlayonLinux software.

Check this thread: http://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-10180-Starcraft_2_Crashes_On_Startup.html

you need to disable a parameter in terminal like this:

sudo sysctl kernel.yama.ptrace_scope=0

to play it coz the ubuntu itself will crash it unless this parameter is disabled.
got ubuntu 14.04
installed wine and playonlinux
still having problems with getting sc2-install started. any ideas? wine open in the bar, playonlinux too