What's causing my problems? CPU or GPU?

Starcraft II Technical Support
Hi there! I have a laptop with an i5-460m processor and a nvidia 330m GPU. When I try to play its ok for a while but soon it begins to be unplayable. How could i know whats causing it? CPU or GPU?

Thanks!
You can use WIndows Task Manager (or any other CPU usage monitor such as CPU-Z) to see how high your CPU load is. I'm sure there must be a similar program for the GPU (if believe GPU-Z can be used to measure GPU load.

Hope it helps!
You can use WIndows Task Manager (or any other CPU usage monitor such as CPU-Z) to see how high your CPU load is. I'm sure there must be a similar program for the GPU (if believe GPU-Z can be used to measure GPU load.

Hope it helps!

Thanks! I've been using CPU-Z and GPU-Z in a few games and the GPU gets to 70% and the CPU to 50% so... still dont know whats causing it :S

PS. I have a SSD drive and 4GB of RAM.
So performance always dips soon after playing? It could be the shaders, have you tried running Starcraft 2 at low settings first? See if that improves gameplay. And if you are also using NVidia's Control Panel, check both the global graphics settings as well as the Starcraft 2 profile settings if there is one. You also may want to try disabling AA and vsync, just to see if that makes any difference.
21/11/2013 23:22Posted by Deanx
So performance always dips soon after playing? It could be the shaders, have you tried running Starcraft 2 at low settings first? See if that improves gameplay. And if you are also using NVidia's Control Panel, check both the global graphics settings as well as the Starcraft 2 profile settings if there is one. You also may want to try disabling AA and vsync, just to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the answers! I have everything in low. Before i could play in medium with no problema, and now it wont work properly in low :S
Sorry, i dont know what AA and vsync are :(
The only things I can think of right now:

1. Your laptop may be set to power saving mode.
2. Make sure your drivers are up to date.
3. Have you made any changes to your laptop recently, such as installing new software/drivers, or added any new hardware recently?
4. Does the problem also occur when you do nothing or does it only happen when you build more and more structures and units?

AA = Anti Alias. It's a filter that removes the sharp edges of 3d objects, but it does take a performance hit, so disabling it may help improving the framerate. In Starcraft 2, you can enable/disable this in Options - Graphics - there you will see a checkbox next to Antialias. You can try disabling that, although I think this one is disabled by default when choosing Low graphics quality.

Vsync = Vertical Sync (when disabled, it will display the graphics as fast as possible, although this may cause tearing). There is a checkbox on that page too (Options - Graphics in game, below resolution)
Its todo with ur cpu not being fast enough to handle all of the calculations in the mid to late game at the start you say there is no trouble yet as the game progresses the more units are on the field you start to experiance performance issues....... its cpu related. I think :)
The GPU gets to 90º something degrees (Cº), could that be an issue?

Im probably going to buy a new laptop soon anyway. What do u think would last long?

i7-4700mq + Nvidia 740m (or 750m for another 100€) or i5-4200m + Nvidia 765m ?

Thanks!
Temperature seems very high. that may be the problem since your system may be throttling down (causing lower fps) until the temperatures are within safe margins.

I think both systems are great. One has a slightly better GPU, the other a slightly better CPU. Personally I would go for the i7 though, since I think Starcraft 2 is a more CPU intensive game, but that's just my personal opinion.
How new is your PC? A lot people with sudden performance drops and lags do have very dusty inside. Clear all air filters, fans and card surfaces.
1) make sure your laptop is running on external power.
2) set power saving to "maximum performance" profile (reset it to default beforehand)

both 1) and 2) is to disable power saving (downclocking) and to set "active" cooling profiles for both cpu and gpu (means fans will speed up instead of cpu slowing down because of temperature) + this should circumvent any thirdparty power managers or profiles

3) temperature under around 100C (max temp alowed is105 by spec) shouldnt trigger throttling . 90 for this type of mobile cpu is quite normal....so this should NOT be problem (the mobile cpus are built with high temp in mind)

4) and the most probable cause if it ran before and now isnt: check you are running SC on external GPU (nvidia) not integrated Intel HD (present in the CPU). Driver updates often mess the application profiles up (and sometimes application updates can cause it). Anyway - these settings are in nvidia control panel.
Game is running perfectly on my i3 Dual Core,so I'd say it's your GPU.