War Crimes Novel Sneak Peek

Story
Much better than the previous preview I would say. It still do not tempt me at all to actually buy the book and everything would be a step in the right direction compared to the last preview. With that said it still fills me with a flicker of hope that this story will have its moments as well and that we might move forward from this point on.

Another thought however. Seeing how Anduin seemingly have no problem to use powers from the divine shadow and he see no moral problems to mind control soldiers sent to protect him. I would not see it as odd for Anduin to fall just like Arthas to the Darth Vader line so to speak. In fact such a fall would please me to no end.
This reads like fanfiction, I don't have high hopes for this.
Jaina is not a role model for Anduin anymore. Instead, Varian is now more of a model for him than Jaina. He is both happy and sad about it.

Very interesting...

It also seems Garrosh is really going to mess with Anduin's mind.. just like a true psychologist.

And Garrosh wants to be Arthas .. ? :P
I like the idea so far.
Garrosh conversing with his enemies, to truely see what makes him tick.
He sees himself as Arthas, as someone who wished to save everyone and everything he could but only helped destroy it, which is a rather terrifying revelation.
He realizes what his actions mean, what the consequences are, how many people died because of him and how he corrupted his own kind....and he doesn't care.
That is a scary thought. i love it.
It looks good and i am looking forward to it... but Garrosh seems to have changed character in this novel. Instead of being loud, arrogant and single minded he seems more calculating and intelligent... even playing mind games.

The latter character is better, but the sudden change just seems weird.
17/03/2014 22:31Posted by Kazá
It looks good and i am looking forward to it... but Garrosh seems to have changed character in this novel. Instead of being loud, arrogant and single minded he seems more calculating and intelligent... even playing mind games.

He was like it in Tides of War, too.
Nice to see Anduin is as delusional as ever.
I'm so waiting for the plot twist, when Garrosh pulls off his mask and reveals himself as a dreadlord.

"HAHAHAH IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"

Jokes aside, I really like how he pities everyone for giving him a trial instead of just executing him for the things he did. Especially how he mocks Anduin for believing in "redemption".

I guess even Garrosh believes that Anduins behavior is ridiculous.
17/03/2014 22:43Posted by Lucy
Jokes aside, I really like how he pities everyone for giving him a trial instead of just executing him for the things he did. Especially how he mocks Anduin for believing in "redemption".

I guess even Garrosh believes that Anduins behavior is ridiculous.

I like his comparison to Arthas, he just turns his back on his own racial conventions/faith for the better of his people -- which is something easily sympathised with and understood. That and he's !@#$ing with Anduin, that's always good to see.
As much as I like Garrosh in this piece, it just goes back to the problem of him changing personality every other minute. I was half expecting Garry 5.0 (or whatever version we're on) to start thrashing in his chains, snapping at Andun, calling him pathetic, and then now we're getting... mind games, manipulative, Garrosh?

Just- ugh. Stick to a personaliy.
17/03/2014 22:50Posted by Uilleam

I think it is pretty much fitting his old personality.
He lost everything anyway and he clearly isn't afraid to die, so it is pretty much accurate for his personality to mock this whole tribunal & Anduin for his ridiculously naive behavior.
17/03/2014 22:54Posted by Lucy
17/03/2014 22:50Posted by Uilleam

I think it is pretty much fitting his old personality.
He lost everything anyway and he clearly isn't afraid to die, so it is pretty much accurate for his personality to mock this whole tribunal & Anduin for his ridiculously naive behavior.

Well at least he handled it better than Baine, who just ran away sobbing.
17/03/2014 23:00Posted by Thorodias
Well at least he handled it better than Baine, who just ran away sobbing.

Good

I like my burgers salty :3
Regarding his change of personality, I'm not arguing that it hasn't been a problem throughout his history, but in this case there's considering the fact that he just recently dabbled in the powers of an Old God... A significant change in mindset or behaviour wouldn't seem too farfetched after such an experience...

I read all the comments before the preview, you all made me expect him to be more clever than he actually was :P
freakin hate reading about Anduin...
I can already see how Garrosh will trick Anduin in freeing him in the end.

Maybe with some candies? :P

Nice to see Anduin likes Varian more than Jaina as a role model for himself, and he is sad about what happened to her behaviour recently.
Messing with Anduin's mine is fine... But I do hope the book won't reduce the intellect, willpower and self-insight of certain characters just in an attempt to make Garrosh seem threatening through hannibal lectures that otherwise wouldn't even have influenced the leaders in question...

More to the point I'm just hoping Golden will write Vol'jin better this time around, no matter the prominence of his role... I haven't read Tides of war myself, but what excerpts and summaries I've read didn't seem particularly in-character for him.
17/03/2014 22:31Posted by Kazá

Garrosh was never stupid reckless singleminded arrogant and stubborn yes but not close to being stupid.
have to say i can't wait for this to come out, and i'm intrigued by Garrosh's Arthas reference. Though the whole conversation between Garrosh and Anduin left me waiting for Garrosh to say "i ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chainti" :P