Galen Trollbane

Story
Hey everyone,

I was leveling my Undead priest in the Arathi Highlands today and i came did some quests for Galen Trollbane.

I knew that he was Forsaken and i did those quests before, but that was 3 years ago and i didn't really pay attention to the story of that zone back then.

My question is: Why does Galen Trollbane serve Sylvanas? According to blizzard (and the Forsaken), newly raised Forsaken have free will and can choose to join Sylvanas, or not.
But if this is the case, why does Galen serve Sylvanas?

Seriously, he says 'for Sylvanas' after every sentence.. sounds a bit mind controlled to me.

Oh well, i hope someone has an answer :)

Thanks in advance
they showed him a nude picture or her and certain parts of him came back to live again.

that sylvanas-model looks too good for a corpse. she's curvier than the standard-belf-model, and as far as i recall, that's not how a bloating corpse works.

serious answer: maybe he really liked life and found undead to be better than dead, so he joined her and adapted to the cult-like culture of the forsaken.
If I recall correctly, Stormgarde and the alliance aint on the perfect terms with each other.
19/03/2014 14:05Posted by Tantatnat
they showed him a nude picture or her and certain parts of him came back to live again.

Could you blame him? No man would resist her. In life, she was said to be "the golden beauty of Quel'thalas". But i guess she was too fierce and proud to stay with a man.

that sylvanas-model looks too good for a corpse. she's curvier than the standard-belf-model, and as far as i recall, that's not how a bloating corpse works.

Her corpse is preserved because Arthas kept it in a special coffin for the whole time until she gained control of it again.

And, as a Banshee, she could use some of her dark magic to keep her body intact. Loreology said she is very happy she got her body back so i guess that means she will try to defend it too with every possible mean.

However, Lor'themar's short story is clear about the fact that she is not actually beautiful anymore. Some of her facial expressions and features are described as ugly and undead indeed.

It's just the art of Blizzard and the in-game model which depict her as very beautiful and with a perfect body as when she was still a living elf from Quel'thalas.

That said, she should at least have a scar on her belly, where Frostmourne hit her.
19/03/2014 14:24Posted by Xiore
If I recall correctly, Stormgarde and the alliance aint on the perfect terms with each other.

That's twisting the circumstances a little; Stromgarde effectively ceased function as a kingdom between the Third War and World of Warcraft, hence why the League of Arathor are 'fighting' for control of the Arathi Basin.

Honestly, I don't really understand this all that well myself; however I wouldn't be surprised if 'free will' amongst the Forsaken is a fiction, and that those of importance were bound to Sylvanas in some fashion. Galen was the legitimate heir to Stromgarde until his death, leaving Danath as the only other claimant.

Despite the circumstances of being undead having a claimant to a kingdom under your sway is certainly a great way of staking a claim on a territory.
19/03/2014 14:32Posted by Sorceress

Could you blame him? No man would resist her. In life, she was said to be "the golden beauty of Quel'thalas". But i guess she was too fierce and proud to stay with a man.

I'd like to think that there are men who actually manage to think with more than their gonads.

Her corpse is preserved because Arthas kept it in a special coffin for the whole time until she gained control of it again.

So she was so beautiful, arthas put her in a specul coffin just so he could do what with the corpse exactly?

And, as a Banshee, she could use some of her dark magic to keep her body intact. Loreology said she is very happy she got her body back so i guess that means she will try to defend it too with every possible mean.

keeping it all curvy and stuff sure is a priority if you are leading an empire.

However, Lor'themar's short story is clear about the fact that she is not actually beautiful anymore. Some of her facial expressions and features are described as ugly and undead indeed.

It's just the art of Blizzard and the in-game model which depict her as very beautiful as she when was still a living elf from Quel'thalas.

That said, she should at least have a scar on her belly, where Frostmourne hit her.

It shouldn't annoy me that much, but it kind of does that she's made into wank-material for lonely nerds.
we should have raided her instead of garrosh. at least then we might have gotten an ud-leader who actually looks like it.
19/03/2014 14:44Posted by Tantatnat
I'd like to think that there are men who actually manage to think with more than their gonads.

They are the minority though :P

So she was so beautiful, arthas put her in a specul coffin just so he could do what with the corpse exactly?

To mock her Banshee spirit more. He enjoyed to torture her in this way too.

And it's possible he actually had more plans for her. She was meant to be another deadly weapon of the Scourge after all.

keeping it all curvy and stuff sure is a priority if you are leading an empire.

This is valid for the other female Leaders though. They are all beautiful and have curvy bodies. ALL OF THEM. :P

In Sylvanas' case, i guess it's suitable because she is supposed to be the Mistress, and the Forsaken are the slaves who willingly serve her. In this kind of relationship, the Mistress is usually very beautiful, and this is actually one of the main reasons the male slave serves her with MORE pleasure. Maybe Blizzard wanted her to be beautiful for this reason too, other than for the pleasure of the male audience, as you said. (but this is valid for almost every female in-game after all)

It's just the art of Blizzard and the in-game model which depict her as very beautiful and with a perfect body as when she was still a living elf from Quel'thalas.

You realise it was made to be a joke?
I would hit it.
19/03/2014 14:24Posted by Xiore

Can't really recall this, at least not in recent memory, and certainly not with the current Alliance.

Sure, the Alliance of -Lordaeron- was something that Stromgarde left, because they didn't want their people to pay huge sums of money to keep the orcs fed and contained (as opposed to just killing them and being done with it).

However, the current Alliance of Stormwind had no great part to play in that; Stormwind was razed by orcs and its countries ravaged to the point where it took a long time for it to recover, and even years after the second war they were more or less without any voice at all due to how badly the war affected them, to the point where they weren't really involved in important discussions like "who should get Alterac"; they just weren't all that significant.

It was only following the Third War that Stormwind became a power in its own right once again.

Besides, Stromgarde and the Alliance are still allies; otherwise the Alliance adventurers wouldn't be asked to aid in the defense of the Arathi Basin from Forsaken interests. Stromgarde likes to do things on their own and have a hefty dose of pride, but they aren't -stupid- and aren't above asking for aid.

Well, they aren't stupid -most- of the time: Galen Trollbane joining the Forsaken makes about as much sense as Sylvanas retiring from her position as Banshee Queen and travelling to Northrend to fish her unlife away in the company of the Tuskarr.
19/03/2014 15:11Posted by Feranos
Well, they aren't stupid -most- of the time: Galen Trollbane joining the Forsaken makes about as much sense as Sylvanas retiring from her position as Banshee Queen and travelling to Northrend to fish her unlife away in the company of the Tuskarr.

Mind you, now being undead, Trollbane might see - as the original forsaken released from Scourge control saw - no way to return to his former friends and allies. He has been forsaken by them, now numbered among the enemy.

Mind you, now being undead, his thoughts and emotions may well have been changed by that experience with no actual "mind control magic" being necessary - undeath changes you, as we see in a number of quests new and old throughout Tirisfal and Silverpine.

Mind you, perhaps he is aiming to be a "deep plant" in the forsaken ranks, biding his time until he can arrange to have his revenge upon the Banshee Queen.

There are many possibilities as to why he, now raised into undeath, would choose to stand among the forsaken rather than... rather than annihilate himself with possible-but-not-certain success; rather than attempt to return to his "home" to be destroyed as an abomination; rather than attack the forsaken outright and be surely put down.
19/03/2014 15:19Posted by Fyne
There are many possibilities as to why he, now raised into undeath, would choose to stand among the forsaken rather than... rather than annihilate himself with possible-but-not-certain success; rather than attempt to return to his "home" to be destroyed as an abomination; rather than attack the forsaken outright and be surely put down.

Seeing how the Alliance, and specially the humans, handle the undead, it was his only option.

He could either join the forsaken,and eventually try and take control of his homeland, or let the humans burn whats left of him.
Hmm, i guess it's not really clear then :p

This brings us back to the question:

Why the hell do newly raised Alliance soldiers join the Forsaken? IT has been bugging me since Cataclysm :/

Blizzard said that the risen soldiers were not mind controlled.. but by saying so Blizzard only made it worse. This is from "Ask CDev #3" :

Q: Why do some Alliance soldiers raised by the Forsaken immediately become loyal to the Forsaken while others do not? Are they being mind controlled? If so, by whom - Sylvanas or the Val'kyr? How does this relate to the fact that the Forsaken cultural identity is based on their free will and rebellion against the Lich King?
A: Free will is one of the cornerstones of Forsaken culture, with the great capacity for both good and evil that it entails. However, some undead, especially those who die in combat or under extreme stress and are raised soon after, enter into a violent, frenzied state. Undead in this state are easily manipulated and their rage is often directed at the foes of those who raised them. After the effects wear off, if the risen corpse has not been destroyed, they are given the same ultimatum that other Forsaken are offered: join the Dark Lady or return to the grave.

I really hope we'll get a better answer than that. Blizzard said this to NOT change the Forsaken into the Scourge 2.0. But now i really don't know what to think about the Forsaken

Implying that her and Nathanos weren't an item.
19/03/2014 15:25Posted by Grimsley
Why the hell do newly raised Alliance soldiers join the Forsaken? IT has been bugging me since Cataclysm :/

I´ll quote what i said about Galen, because you can extrapolate it to the rest of undead people:

19/03/2014 15:25Posted by Zarao
Seeing how the Alliance, and specially the humans, handle the undead, it was his only option.

We have examples of both alternatives during the initial Forsaken quests. There are some undead that rebel against Sylvanas, some that kill themselves, and some that decide to work with her, and take the second chance she grants them.
19/03/2014 15:27Posted by Uilleam
Implying that her and Nathanos weren't an item.

Nah, she just admired his skills.

Besides, Nathanos is her champion now, but he isn't always near her all the time as an Undead marry couple would be anyway.
19/03/2014 15:01Posted by Sorceress
n Sylvanas' case, i guess it's suitable because she is supposed to be the Mistress, and the Forsaken are the slaves who willingly serve her. In this kind of relationship, the Mistress is usually very beautiful, and this is actually one of the main reasons the male slave serves her with MORE pleasure. Maybe Blizzard wanted her to be beautiful for this reason too, other than for the pleasure of the male audience, as you said. (but this is valid for almost every female in-game after all)

so she's a master-slave-corpse-fest-wank-material for the male audience. yay.

They are the minority though :P

i think you think too little of your sex.

To mock her Banshee spirit more. He enjoyed to torture her in this way too.

And it's possible he actually had more plans for her. She was meant to be another deadly weapon of the Scourge after all.

lamest excuse ever for making a corpse sexy.
if he wanted to torture her banshee-spirit, he would have shown her how her once so beautiful corpse is rotting and getting all disgusting. THAT's how you torture a vain woman.

And since sylvanas' strengh was her sharp mind her body was not exactly that important. there are many skilled archers (nathanos), who rottet and were still usefull, so it's really just a lame excuse.

This is valid for the other female Leaders though. They are all beautiful and have curvy bodies. ALL OF THEM. :P

Yes. they are also alive. They don't have to do some specul magicks to preserve their curves.

19/03/2014 15:03Posted by Kreedkafer
You realise it was made to be a joke?

above all this.

19/03/2014 15:07Posted by Gorvar
I would hit it.

ewwwww...
19/03/2014 15:38Posted by Sorceress

Besides, Nathanos is her champion now, but he isn't always near her all the time as an Undead marry couple would be anyway.

Ahahaha.

She goes to some random farm, finds a random human that she sees potential in and tells her boss that she's going to train this guy because she admires his skills. Why would she suddenly train a human, especially considering the High Elves were an isolated race? It's far more complicated than you think it is. Sylvanas was bound to her duties in Quel'thalas and could not spend enough time with Marris, so she decided to train him, just so that she could have her personal moments with him.

Paint her finger, dress her, do her hair ... all the things you'd expect from a blondie ex-paladin

This is valid for the other female Leaders though. They are all beautiful and have curvy bodies. ALL OF THEM.

Not Moria, she's a dwarf and as a dwarf she does not has curves, only angles and beards.
19/03/2014 15:48Posted by Kreedkafer
19/03/2014 15:38Posted by Sorceress

Ahahaha.

She goes to some random farm, finds a random human that she sees potential in and tells her boss that she's going to train this guy because she admires his skills. Why would she suddenly train a human, especially considering the High Elves were an isolated race? It's far more complicated than you think it is. Sylvanas was bound to her duties in Quel'thalas and could not spend enough time with Marris, so she decided to train him, just so that she could have her personal moments with him.

Makes sense knowing her sibling's tastes in men...