Blizzard islamofobic?

General
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
Actually I think you'll find that MARY was the mother of Christ,. not Maria. but let's not get into that.
11/04/2014 14:15Posted by Maria
Serious violations include any names that:

- Have racial, ethnic, or national connotations
- Have any connotations of major religions or religious figures
11/04/2014 15:44Posted by Blindingsun
Actually I think you'll find that MARY was the mother of Christ,. not Maria. but let's not get into that.

She is called Maria in other languages.

I don't know, Mary sounds like an Anglification of the Latin Maria to me, which itself should come from a Hebrew name, maybe Mara or Marsha or something close to Meriam.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

She's Jesus Christ's mother and a key character to christian fiction. I'd wager a HUGE part (70% or more) of people named "Maria", women AND men, are named after her.

So yea I don't think it is far fetched to think of christianity when I read your name.

so i am guessing if i name my character Christmas and got banned then that would be because apparently Jesus was born that day? everyone knows that isn't the real story. and maria is a normal name and nonreligious. i know loads of athiests with that name and isn't religious.

The Wikipedia Article:
It became popular with the spread of Christianity as a Latinized form of the Hebrew name of Jesus' mother Mary (Miriam in Hebrew or Maryam in Aramaic).

Aside from that your argument is terribly flawed as you say "Just because the name play a major part in christianity doesn't mean I cannot take it as non christian people also use that name". With that logic the "sand warrior" name from the OP shouldn't be forbidden either as just because it may be used in terrorist circles doesn't make it a terrorist term as it is also used in non terrorist circles.

I also do not care what your opinion on this is. As a matter of fact Maria is a name that is heavily engrained in the bible and christianity as a whole so if it is Blizzard's policy to ban names with religious connotations Maria should be banned just as hard as jesus, god, allah, muhammad, aischa or Buddha (no warranties for correct spellings on those names).

Yea let's not get into your lack of education on the topic.
A little hint, tho: Zazkya is right.
11/04/2014 15:38Posted by Juillet
She's Jesus Christ's mother and a key character to christian fiction. I'd wager a HUGE part (70% or more) of people named "Maria", women AND men, are named after her.

So yea I don't think it is far fetched to think of christianity when I read your name.

Right, but it's not the most important figure in Christianity. This rule is for major religions or religious figures and the exaples from Blizzard are: Jesus and Buddha My name could be just a normal human name.
There are lots of Mexicans called Jesus. Your argument is invalid.
11/04/2014 15:47Posted by Turtlepowerx

She is called Maria in other languages.

which is the real story?

<span class="truncated">...</span>

so i am guessing if i name my character Christmas and got banned then that would be because apparently Jesus was born that day? everyone knows that isn't the real story. and maria is a normal name and nonreligious. i know loads of athiests with that name and isn't religious.

The Wikipedia Article:
It became popular with the spread of Christianity as a Latinized form of the Hebrew name of Jesus' mother Mary (Miriam in Hebrew or Maryam in Aramaic).

Aside from that your argument is terribly flawed as you say "Just because the name play a major part in christianity doesn't mean I cannot take it as non christian people also use that name". With that logic the "sand warrior" name from the OP shouldn't be forbidden either as just because it may be used in terrorist circles doesn't make it a terrorist term as it is also used in non terrorist circles.

I also do not care what your opinion on this is. As a matter of fact Maria is a name that is heavily engrained in the bible and christianity as a whole so if it is Blizzard's policy to ban names with religious connotations Maria should be banned just as hard as jesus, god, allah, muhammad, aischa or Buddha (no warranties for correct spellings on those names).

Yea let's not get into your lack of education on the topic.
A little hint, tho: Zazkya is right.

if you don't care you wouldn't be posting. along with the sand warrior WTF are you talking about?
11/04/2014 15:52Posted by Juillet

Ok. Julliet, go straigh and report my name. I was hoping you're just trolling. But also don't forget to report the other people you have the names Maria/Marie/Mary on their characters. :) They are like 600-700.
11/04/2014 15:54Posted by Maria
11/04/2014 15:38Posted by Juillet

Right, but it's not the most important figure in Christianity. This rule is for major religions or religious figures and the exaples from Blizzard are: Jesus and Buddha My name could be just a normal human name.

See I don't even have any interest in getting you banned or anything (like I care about people calling themselves Moses or some crap) but you are HORRIBLY wrong if you think that Maria (or Mary) is not a key figure in the christian religion.
11/04/2014 16:00Posted by Juillet
See I don't even have any interest in getting you banned or anything (like I care about people calling themselves Moses or some crap) but you are HORRIBLY wrong if you think that Maria (or Mary) is not a key figure in the christian religion.

I never said I don't think so. I said that this cannot be only religious name. Maria is not the same as Jesus ot Mohamed.
11/04/2014 14:37Posted by Dottie
The OP got a stock reply because that is all they give out, someone complained and the complaint was upheld, the OP can appeal and if that fails they have to change the name.

That's quite the problematic. If any kind of standard response isn't enough to adress various issues, we clearly have an issue with the response itself. - I mean, If the whole post is about the reasoning behind such censorship, I even doubt the OP had any kind of response regarding this naming issue.

Because one of my toons were renamed without any kind of warning and at the time I didn't know it was because of some other level 1 alt was already in the realm I've migrated. My toon lost it's name. After a while I asked about any kind of log entries for this kind of name change, they told me that they didn't have any log entries regarding my name change. - I found out myself that there was another toon with the same name.

!@#$ happens..
11/04/2014 15:54Posted by Maria

OK then, where's the proof? also don't trust wikipedia because it's a source of information that people can easily change, like wowhead etc. Also for all the people you want to ban, it will be back fire for trolling. so go ahead.
11/04/2014 16:03Posted by Maria

I never said I don't think so. I said that this cannot be only religious name. Maria is not the same as Jesus ot Mohamed.

Do you have ANY idea how many people are named mohamed (or variations of that name)? It is factually (one of) the most common first names in the entire world. So if your argument is "Maria is okay because a lot of people outside of the bible carry that name" then it should be perfectly fine for me to name my next monk Mohamad.

Bet you that name is blacklisted, tho.

Btw. I'm atheist so it's not in my interest to promote islam, demote christianity or incite any fights about them. I'm merely trying to show how Blizzard is applying double standards when it comes to naming policies.
Who would've thought a religion-oriented topic could create such controversy!
11/04/2014 16:11Posted by Juillet
Do you have ANY idea how many people are named mohamed

But they are all muslims, aren't they? That's why it's not allowed in game. This name is tipycal and muslim only. While you can be called Maria without being a christian.
11/04/2014 16:15Posted by Rockwell

Now, now, Rockwell. Didn't you read the thread? It's clearly not religion-oriented, other people have these names too!

... I admit. I didn't read the thread.
11/04/2014 16:15Posted by Rockwell

anyone taking there 5 secs to think.

Mohamed is blocked for being a major name in islam(if i remember right)
maria/mary or what ever is not a major part off the bible, the thing she did where a major event in the bible but the bible as a whole its just one of many events
and to my knowlege there is no religion that places maria/mary as a center figure of there religion(no giving birth to the center figure does not count)
else Christianity alone would take page up and page down with banned names not talking about the anchinet greek, roman and other religions.

what would be left if they where all blacklisted?
11/04/2014 16:10Posted by Demondoom

OK then, where's the proof? also don't trust wikipedia because it's a source of information that people can easily change, like wowhead etc. Also for all the people you want to ban, it will be back fire for trolling. so go ahead.

If you haven't figured it our for yourself I'm avoiding your posts because you seem very irritated by my arguments and not smart enough to formulate proper counter arguments. You can save yourself the energy of replying as I will straight out ignore your attempts to undermine my points with stupid replies like "LOL WHERES YOUR SOURCE? I DONT TRUST WIKIPEDIA BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY YOU CHANGED THE DATA THERE TO ACCOMODATE YOUR OPINIONS LOLS. YOURE CLEARLY A MUSLIM TRYING TO HELP THE MUSLIM THREAD OPENER AND WE DONT WANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU HERE."
11/04/2014 15:19Posted by Demondoom
Already i feel irritated by this thread.

11/04/2014 15:58Posted by Demondoom
if you don't care you wouldn't be posting. along with the sand warrior WTF are you talking about?

OK then, where's the proof? also don't trust wikipedia because it's a source of information that people can easily change, like wowhead etc.

Yes that is how everything you wrote sounds to me (I added quotations of your posts so you don't have such a hard time finding out how my Caplock-quote came to pass). And I don't really feel like arguing with people spewing such untenable comments.

Sorry if I sound harsh but if you want to be taken seriously you could put a little more effort into your posts and actually formulate based counter arguments and provide ANY form of proof yourself instead of just disregarding all the proof I gave and shouting at me.