Blizzard islamofobic?

General
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
HAHAHAhahahaha!!! "ISLAMOFOBIC'" IS NOT A WORD!!!

This is an april fools, you guys.
11/04/2014 15:52Posted by Juillet

I also do not care what your opinion on this is. As a matter of fact Maria is a name that is heavily engrained in the bible and christianity as a whole so if it is Blizzard's policy to ban names with religious connotations Maria should be banned just as hard as jesus, god, allah, muhammad, aischa or Buddha (no warranties for correct spellings on those names).

11/04/2014 15:44Posted by Blindingsun
Actually I think you'll find that MARY was the mother of Christ,. not Maria. but let's not get into that.

Yea let's not get into your lack of education on the topic.
A little hint, tho: Zazkya is right.

So are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Should they be banned?
11/04/2014 16:28Posted by Rayzen
"ISLAMOFOBIC'" IS NOT A WORD!!!

I wish you were right. But, atleast in Sweden it is. Islamophobic in English, though. So I guess you were kind of right... Does that mean my wish came true?
11/04/2014 16:03Posted by Maria
11/04/2014 16:00Posted by Juillet
See I don't even have any interest in getting you banned or anything (like I care about people calling themselves Moses or some crap) but you are HORRIBLY wrong if you think that Maria (or Mary) is not a key figure in the christian religion.

I never said I don't think so. I said that this cannot be only religious name. Maria is not the same as Jesus ot Mohamed.

Do you know how many people there are who are called Mohamed? More than people called anything else.
11/04/2014 16:33Posted by Rexezy
11/04/2014 16:28Posted by Rayzen
"ISLAMOFOBIC'" IS NOT A WORD!!!

I wish you were right. But, atleast in Sweden it is. Islamophobic in English, though. So I guess you were kind of right... Does that mean my wish came true?

How can a company even have a phobia, that doesn't even make sense xD

roflmao
11/04/2014 16:35Posted by Rayzen

roflmao

/signed

It is indeed hilarious.
11/04/2014 16:21Posted by Maria
11/04/2014 16:11Posted by Juillet
Do you have ANY idea how many people are named mohamed

But they are all muslims, aren't they?

That's a question I cannot answer right now but I strongly believe there are Mohammeds out there who didn't receive their name from the religion. I honestly consider it unfeasible that all Mohammeds are muslims. I knew a guy who had that name who really didn't strike me as a muslim but I never asked him about it. Cannot answer it. Still would argue that a majority of marias is named that way because of christianity.

Would Moses be an acceptable name? I'd say his part in the bible is about as important as Maria's.
11/04/2014 16:36Posted by Juillet
Would Moses be an acceptable name? I'd say his part in the bible is about as important as Maria's.

I'd argue Moses is more important in Christianity than Maria. Atleast when I went to a religious school we talked a lot more about Moses than Maria, simply because he did more "wonders". All Maria did was give birth, after all.
11/04/2014 16:36Posted by Rexezy
11/04/2014 16:35Posted by Rayzen

roflmao

/signed

It is indeed hilarious.

Can you imagine like the Callifornia office being afraid and kind stepping backwards, as if the building had tiny little feet? xD Hahahahaha! Who comes up with this stuff? xD
11/04/2014 16:31Posted by Niamil

So are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Should they be banned?

I don't know, I'm not Blizzards naming department. Where do they draw the line? Personally I'd say Maria is a way more important character in the bible than any of the ones you mentioned. It's a sacrilege to say the holy mother mary didn't give birth as a virgin. It's one of the christian wonders.
From the top of my head I don't even know who Mark and John are (which may be because their names are also different in my mother tongue) so I wouldn't deem them as much a key figure as Mary.

The question is, tho, if a Character named after a non main-character from islam would be flagged for a rename or not. It does feel biased if people from one religion cannot name their chars after their action heroes while others can. All I'm saying.

11/04/2014 16:40Posted by Rexezy

I'd argue Moses is more important in Christianity than Maria. Atleast when I went to a religious school we talked a lot more about Moses than Maria, simply because he did more "wonders". All Maria did was give birth, after all.

She did indeed... to "our lord and saviour", as a virgin. She's basically God's wife.
https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=how+important+is+mary+in+the+catholic+church&
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veneration_of_Mary_in_Roman_Catholicism
11/04/2014 16:33Posted by Weightlifter
Do you know how many people there are who are called Mohamed? More than people called anything else.

No, I don't know and I honestly don't care about numbers. Blizzard don't allow that name not me.

that depends on what christna belife we are talking about but in one of them hes playing a huge and major part.
11/04/2014 16:42Posted by Rayzen
Who comes up with this stuff? xD

Just blame the feminists, dear. Blame the feminists.
11/04/2014 16:43Posted by Juillet
From the top of my head I don't even know who Mark and John are

In Latin: Marcus and Johannus.
11/04/2014 16:46Posted by Korsbaek
that depends on what christna belife we are talking about but in one of them hes playing a huge and major part.

*scratches head*
Are you talking about Judaism? I mean, I could be wrong, but I think he plays a near gigantic role in their religion. In Christianity we kind of moved on from the first part of the Bible, and most people in it became less important. And even though I've not touched a bible in years, I think Moses is from the first testament.
11/04/2014 14:15Posted by Maria
Serious violations include any names that:

- Have racial, ethnic, or national connotations
- Have any connotations of major religions or religious figures

Second rule I have no problem with.

The first rule however is absurd.

Think of it.

An immigrant or a player from one of those countries this rule concerns would be forbidden taken names that is familiar in his or hers ethnic group and such it would be racist against him or her not to be able to take such names.

This rule is clearly a product of misunderstood respect and a ethnosentrical limited vision.
This rule is clearly racist to any one who isn't caucasian.

On another note my real name is Jacob, a jewish name.
The facts are though that I am not jewish.
Should I feel bad about this or change name?
11/04/2014 16:47Posted by Zazkya
11/04/2014 16:43Posted by Juillet
From the top of my head I don't even know who Mark and John are

Did they do anything besides writing parts of the bible? Like playing a major part in the plot? I honestly don't remember or know.
I keep reporting any name with some offensive form, often including 'tard', but such names are never looked into.

I'm beginning to suspect that the naming-policy is rather lacking in too many ways. There should be an obvious distinquishment between names that people find offensive for no clear reason (a perfectly normal name, but of different language or otherwise stupidly associated with some sort of black page of history) and names that actually are offensive, but have been around for so long and in so many forms that people apparently disregard them altogether.

I'll make this statement now: any form of 'retard' in any name is offensive and should be reported. I even wonder if the word between '...' is filtered by the forums. Probably not, since it's a verb in a different context (rarely used as such, especially in WoW).

Any other clearly offensive name will also be reported by me, be it char-name, pet-name or guild name. I believe that we should all keep an eye out for such things, with a clear view on what should and what shouldn't be reported.

Finally, if some name in a foreign language is offensive, people who speak that language will take care of reporting that. No need to report something you don't even know the meaning of, so let's not interfere with other languages. I believe this latter is what went wrong with the OP.
This rule is clearly racist to any one who isn't caucasian, a product of ethnosentrical limited vision.

Wha-... Alright. Now, this is ridicolous. The rule concerns ANY and ALL names that have "racial, ethnic or national connotations". There is no way that you'll be able to turn that into something racist.

Besides I don't see where you're coming from here, tbh. Immigrants? What? I had no idea WoW only could be played in one country... Because, you know, a british or german wo/man could be just as much an immigrant as someone from an arabic country, but that's got nothing to do with this rule.

Please stop trying to promote your political agendas on a forum that's got nothing to do with it and within a discussion that doesn't even touch the subject.

11/04/2014 16:49Posted by Bertel
Should I feel bad about this or change name?

My head hurts. No one told you you can't have the name IRL, only that if you name one of your characters "Jacob" then you'll have to be ready to have it flagged for rename.
11/04/2014 16:53Posted by Juillet
11/04/2014 16:47Posted by Zazkya

Did they do anything besides writing parts of the bible? Like playing a major part in the plot? I honestly don't remember or know.

Don't think so.