Does this affect Blizzard?!

General
http://www.geek.com/mobile/new-french-law-forbids-reading-work-emails-after-6pm-1590880/

Read, and .... I totally want to move to France right now...

Vive Le Francais! haha
That is an extremely stupid law.
I'm not even sure how they intend to enforce that for people that don't give a damn and want to read their work email anyway.
slightly more insightful article on the subject: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26958079

I guess whether or not it affects EU blizzard employees depends on how often they receive emails out of work hours?
God only knows how they managed to pass that law, you'd have thought they have more pressing matters to address in their 3 hour work week!
10/04/2014 22:31Posted by Zauru

No, it's sensible, because otherwise, some people effectively never get off work, because employers can expect them to always be on duty, albeit in an unofficial capacity, without paying them any overtime.
10/04/2014 22:32Posted by Nyshae
I'm not even sure how they intend to enforce that for people that don't give a damn and want to read their work email anyway.

Well, if people want to continue to be unpaid doormats, despite them now having a law in place to protect them, I guess that will be up to them?
I don't think they thought this one through. Seeing as how this might not affect me too much, I will not lose sleep over it.
Another ill considered French employment law. Yes, it's a good idea in principle but it just adds to the list that employers may find restrictive in today's competitive market place.
I get emails at home but I don't have to read or act upon them if I so choose.

The result of these kind of working practices will continuing high unemployment in France.
But not everyone works 8-16
I'm French and i never heard about this law... That's a fake.
10/04/2014 22:28Posted by Maç
http://www.geek.com/mobile/new-french-law-forbids-reading-work-emails-after-6pm-1590880/

Read, and .... I totally want to move to France right now...

Vive Le Francais! haha

11/04/2014 00:02Posted by Antissa

the battle is on :o

I asked one of my French co-workers and he knew about it - and should sort of follow it - but didn't consider it that binding.

Maybe you have never heard of it because it literally JUST got introduced.

I don't think this affects Blizzard. You'd be surprised how many companies go without paying their employees for extra hours and the employees agreeing to it out of fear of becoming unemployed. It's a vicious, vicious circle.

Employee is asked to work extra hours -> Disagrees -> Risks losing job to someone who agrees
Employee is asked to work extra hours -> Agrees -> Keeps job at the cost of their private life

likewise:

Company is asked to work extra hours for client -> Disagrees -> Risks losing client to company that will
Company is asked to work extra hours for client -> Agrees -> Keeps client, forcing employees to work extra hours moving us back to the top of my circle.

I work for a very large advertising agency and this kind of stuff happens all the time. I dare say it is one of the jobs with the most extra hours you can find.

I think it's beyond flawed, but no one wants to risk their jobs over something like this, forcing them to take a ton of time out of their private lives in order to maintain their existence.

What France is doing is a good step, but every major company will not keep to it anyway. The Netherlands and their 35-hour average work weeks are also making steps in the right direction, but again I doubt there are many companies that stick to this.
10/04/2014 22:31Posted by Zauru

It's not a law.

10/04/2014 22:40Posted by Dejadeux
God only knows how they managed to pass that law, you'd have thought they have more pressing matters to address in their 3 hour work week!

Again it's not a law.

one last time IT'S NOT A LAW!
11/04/2014 09:47Posted by Dottie
It's not a law.

Again it's not a law.

one last time IT'S NOT A LAW!

Hey Dottie, did you hear about this new law in France?
I'm from France and I can assure you that this is absolutely bullcrap! in terms of making it a law. How would they enforce it, and what would be the penalties?

"You are arrested for checking your work e-mail after 6.pm and will be fined x amount"

"I just wanted to check my e-mail, and i'm arrested just for that. Am I not free to inquire myself on my job or can i not work more if I want to.?"

See how ridiculous it would be if it were a law.
11/04/2014 10:25Posted by Nebùla
I'm from France and I can assure you that this is absolutely bullcrap! in terms of making it a law. How would they enforce it, and what would be the penalties?

I suppose they could always rely on people reporting their companies for, uh, being pushed into doing work via emails after work hours. Overall it's a silly idea, even as an agreement, but good to know it's not an actual law and it was just some reporter doing crappy reporting.