Gear Changes in Patch 5.4.8

General
1 2 3 6 Next
Gear changes are coming! First, in Patch 5.4.8 (which is currently in testing on the PTR), all upgradable epic items introduced to the game in Patch 5.4 will be given the option to upgrade 2 more times for a grand total of 16 item levels. This change will be applied to all items found on the Timeless Isle and in Siege of Orgrimmar. For instance, if you have an item level 553 Greatsword of Pride’s Fall and its Upgrade Level is 2/2 making it item level 561, once the new patch goes live it will display 2/4 and allow you the opportunity to bump it up to item level 569. Whether you’re working on a newly boosted character or progressing through Siege of Orgrimmar, we hope this change will provide you with the extra punch you need to take down your foes.

Second, we are also adding a new token called Deeds of Valor which will cost 3000 Timeless Coins, and can be used to grant your character 100 Valor Points. Players who wish to purchase the new token can do so by visiting Mistweaver Ai on the Timeless Isle next to the Celestial Court. Keep in mind, these tokens won’t allow you to go above the current weekly cap on Valor, but they do provide you an extra option to gain the points you may need so you can upgrade your gear.

We will be bumping up the ilvl of all Garrosh Heirlooms by +8 in 5.4.8, since they are not upgradeable with Valor. The intent of the 5.4.8 VP upgrade change is to let people continue to progress, and we don’t want those who are using one of the Garrosh BoA weapons as their primary weapon to feel like they need to go get a brand new weapon due to this change.
How about removing/increasing valor caps too so that I wouldn't need to wait TWELVE weeks to have my gear upgraded again?

And that's not even counting the unfortunate event of getting a Warforged item upgrade. (That would mean one more week of grinding before the item could be used.)
Epic

T
I
M
E
S
I
N
K

Although i like the intention behind this, the weekly cap is going to screw this whole thing big time. Get new item hc -> hc wf, spend your whole 1000 Points on _1_ Item. Also again a /lol to PvP players on the timeless isle. Please consider improvements!
Bit slow on the post here Blues, the community have been talking about if already for the last few hours. Though i agree they could do with removing the weekly valor cap.
This is extremely annoying for players who haven't finished progression yet. It's a huge obligatory grind that makes players repeat old content. We are already burned out with this extremely long tier and you are adding a weekly grind that will take months to complete. That is in addition to the complications of receiving war forged items, which is surely something we should be looking forward to rather than dreading. This is also bad news for friends who would like to return to the game adding to the mountain they have to climb acquiring cloak, getting geared, upgrading gear (4 times lol).
Does this also includes heroic items or only normal loot? That is able to upgrade?
I do agree that it will be a great time sink, specially when you keep 2 characters raiding ready and few more which are in progress of gearing.

Oh well, gotta make sure that all needed char sit at their 3k VP cap so some of the items can be upgraded immidiately.
Doesn't seem to be live on PTR, that 4/4 item upgrade.
With this change, in order to upgrade a newly dropped item, you need an entire weekly cap to upgrade the item.

With that in mind, would it be possible for the weekly Valor cap to be bumped up, so that we don't end up with multiple pieces that aren't upgraded? (E.g. If you get two HC WF upgrades, you will likely equip only one because a regular HC piece with the 4/4 upgrade will have a higher ilvl and stats than the non-upgraded HC WF)
14/05/2014 11:43Posted by Qoxxy
Does this also includes heroic items or only normal loot? That is able to upgrade?

He specifically mentioned "items introduced in patch 5.4" which includes HC loot. Unless I'm somehow mistaken ;)
Yey, now I get to vp cap again cause I got something to spent it on, how much FUN.

Seriously, why? Remove the VP cap or Bump down the cost, or bring out new content with higher ilvl.
W/e works honestly.
Can you reduce the price of Upgrading or at least increase the valor cap to 2000, so it would be less pain to do legendary quest chain on alt. Plus if i have to spend additional 500 valor on every gear, it would takes weeks to upgrade them all.
I'd rather like the idea... it combines well with generating playtime increase (scenario, dungeon) for new players/subscribers...

It is just the usual end-of-extension raid debuff/buff for SoO... but this time based on smooth item upgrades.

Removing the valor cap would cause one week burnout and obliterate any feel of progress for raiders.

After 1st week, the rate would be one week for a full item upgrade.
As I do not plan to stop playing, I am ok with that.
14/05/2014 10:49Posted by Lahis
How about removing/increasing valor caps too so that I wouldn't need to wait TWELVE weeks to have my gear upgraded again?

TWELVE is not correct (if u are fully upgraded +8 already)...
And if you have 3000 pts on patch day... end of the 1st week, you should get 8 items upgraded +16
:( change is ok, will help get those final kills but the 1000 cap needs to change. Or at least the cost of upgrading an item. Say 125VP an item upgrade or change the cap to around 3000 or remove.

The point in removing reforging was because it's no fun and people just looked at a site and did what it said. Many other things are also getting removed due to feeling like a chore and boring hit/exp are another example.

Well Item upgrading is just as boring and imo should be removed its a brain dead grind there is no fun in upgrading items at all.

Pointless feature that needs removing all together imo.
Awful change, 1000vp per week is not enough. Raise the cap to 2000 valor and double all valor rewards.
Whoa!

I welcome this change, but please - Raise the VP Cap a little while you're at it!
Increase or remove the valor cap already...
"A drowning man clutches at straws"

Seems like a december release for WoD was pretty accurate to me.

Well started expansion, which MoP was (honestly, 2nd best after TBC) slowly sinks into immeasurably poor level of Dragon Soul part of Cataclysm.

Dear developers, the proper way lays somewhere else, after all you have promised a 3 months long patches nterval, with 1 major 1 minor crossover. And what now? What about promises, what will you do when hc players will get all WF 4/4 upped. 6/6?

Subs dropped to 7.4 M, lower soon, as many of my guildmates drop and it's hard to play through HC SOO with people not having any goal.

If you want people to stay playing release a decent content. If you can't afford working on patches and xpacs at same time, hire new men.

But for God's sake don't make cosmetic changes and call it

Gear changes are coming! First, in Patch 5.4.8 (which is currently in testing on the PTR)

since there is no change on gear at all, just item upgrade which is already in game for quite a long time.

Also it bothers me what's there to test, changing stats from x to x+%x. Seems like a serious business to me.
14/05/2014 13:56Posted by Rolfak
14/05/2014 10:49Posted by Lahis

TWELVE is not correct (if u are fully upgraded +8 already)...
And if you have 3000 pts on patch day... end of the 1st week, you should get 8 items upgraded +16

Yeah, grand total of EIGHT items out of my THIRTY!
We hybrids need seperate sets of gear for seperate specs you know.
Man am I glad that use use staves this tier...

I will hate nothing more in next patch than seeing that damn HC WF item at 0/4 and having waaaayyyy less ilvl that my existing HC 4/4 while I'm already hit and spent the weekly cap on upgrading my existing gear.