All are the same faces [WoD Discussion]

Argent Dawn
For us roleplayers it is important to make your character stand out. That's why I started getting worried as soon as I saw the dwarf female faces, and the gnome male/female faces. Why you would ask? Because the fact is that the face stays almost exactly the same. Only wrinkles and a little different emotion in the eyebrows are added. It looks like the faces are all the same person in slightly different condition.

What are your thoughts?
30/05/2014 13:26Posted by Philman
What are your thoughts?

That it's not done yet.
Don't forget Warlords is in effectivly a pre alpha stage or at the most you can call it a very closed alpha. You can only truely get an idea during beta but even then, things aren't still to be taken as fact. The truth of it is wait for the pre patch for WoD.
Not done.

If they really opt not to give any real variety, I find it an inexcusable offense in an age of modern character modelling. Aged engine, sure, but look at the original races with their basic block heads with expressions painted on. Then look at goblins. They CAN do better than sameface with strategic paintjobs.
What I really hope they add is what the pandaren have. The ability to add scars and stuff!
Let's be entirely honest here, I'd much rather have faces like the pandaren than our current humans. Sure, they look mostly the same. However, the touches that differentiates them are noticable enough that the extra quality in their animations more than make up for it.

Oh, and take a look at the draenei or belf faces. They are all the same anyways. All I want is better hair, a spine that doesn't go ballistic if I talk while walking, and a far more fluid /dance.

Oh yeeeeeeaaahh
Not done yet, Blizzard have stated it's a known concern of theirs. If you look at the leaked Undead Female textures you can see they've worked hard on granting them a great variety. My favourite one is the face that is quite literally stitched on.
30/05/2014 13:39Posted by Kharmaa
Let's be entirely honest here, I'd much rather have faces like the pandaren than our current humans. Sure, they look mostly the same. However, the touches that differentiates them are noticable enough that the extra quality in their animations more than make up for it.

Oh, and take a look at the draenei or belf faces. They are all the same anyways. All I want is better hair, a spine that doesn't go ballistic if I talk while walking, and a far more fluid /dance.

Oh yeeeeeeaaahh

Oh yeah?! That dance is a humilation to us Draenei! This way people only see us Draenei as attractive dancers! No Kharmaa our species won't become like Sayaad. We are better than that.

*Secretly practicing his dance moves in the inn of the exodar*
30/05/2014 13:46Posted by Darlimos

Oh yeeeeeeaaahh

Oh yeah?! That dance is a humilation to us Draenei! This way people only see us Draenei as attractive dancers! No Kharmaa our species won't become like Sayaad. We are better than that.

*Secretly practicing his dance moves in the inn of the exodar*

http://wowpedia.org/Anklet_with_Golden_Bells
Faces look fine to me.
Quit complaining. I only have four faces to choose from over here.
30/05/2014 13:29Posted by Nazgel
That it's not done yet.
They are all the same anyways

With most of the "non-bestial" species, the face differences are not features-based, but emotion-based. Gnomes are an easy [and the most extreme] example. Aside from eye colour, the differences are principally eyebrow arch, and smile [with one exception for "old"]. For the "bestial" species, fur pattern also changes for some of them, though there, too, most differences and the most visible differences are instead tied to "other facial feature" [tusks for male trolls, for example, changing the face paint, or forsaken with jaws and head-straps].

http://i.imgur.com/xzaU57A.png

Since expressions will now be tied instead to spell use and /emote use, and no longer permanently plastered through "face" choice, most of what "face" will be deciding for many is... eye colour [or equivalent]. Most likely the "old" face option for non-bestial species will remain an option.

They are unlikely to want to create new, more extreme differences in actual facial features tied to "face," because players will inevitably complain that their character now has a gigantic wart where none was before, or now they have acquired a scar, or... "Getting the wrong match" complaints would outweigh those who happened to get a new facial feature that they accidentally wanted already but couldn't have.

So yes, "emotion" has been un-tethered from "face." Gnapoleon will no longer always be the angriest gnome in the world. But his eyes will likely be the same colour.
I think one of their reasoning is that with the current models, they didn't have the animations they can do now, so instead they painted a single emotion into each face (Clearly you can see each one is angry, happy, sad etc), but they look the same now because they don't need the painted on emotion, they portray those animations in their emotes.
30/05/2014 14:50Posted by Gylith
I think one of their reasoning is that with the current models, they didn't have the animations they can do now, so instead they painted a single emotion into each face (Clearly you can see each one is angry, happy, sad etc), but they look the same now because they don't need the painted on emotion, they portray those animations in their emotes.

I think most humans look indifferent. :P
Oh yeeeeeeaaahh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTGrfs5TXM
30/05/2014 14:54Posted by Tazkram
I think most humans look indifferent. :P

I was directing the statement towards the actual modeled race, considering Humans lack proper hair, wrists, proportions, and proper faces.

Gnomes are a great example of the eternal expression.
They are not done yet.
30/05/2014 13:57Posted by Mahren
Quit complaining. I only have four faces to choose from over here.

You're beautiful.

You're beautiful.

You're beautiful, it's true.
30/05/2014 13:26Posted by Philman
For us roleplayers it is important to make your character stand out.

I disagree.