Be Nicer to Each Other!

General
A huge bug bear of mine lately is how animosity and nastiness in the community these days!

Seems I can't do anything with players without being subject to some sort of abuse towards myself or someone being abusive toward someone else for little or no reason at all.

I've seen rage over stupid things like, pet pulls in dungeons which we all know happens; the mistaken use of a cool down, the way a Tank pulls, low level DPS, being beaten in a duel, being killed in a battleground, being called things that'll make a sailor blush over losing an arena skirmish... the list goes on and on.

Some have said to me, "but they're right"... Their point may be valid; a Priest using Smites and Holy Fire on Mythic progress as a means of healing is silly even if it does help with Archangel, but to rage and call the person all manner of obscenities over it invalidates that point.

If I rage at someone over something they did; like a ninja pull, my point is valid but because I'm raging and throwing obscenities and insults at them it invalidates my point and I come across as a whining, ill-tempered, childish twit and the point gets completely ignored while they make fun of me while I'm raging and then I'd rage about being made fun of while I'm still mad about the cause of my initial rage.

If you have to rage at someone then do it without throwing insults and being abusive. Unless the person you're raging at killed your dog or ran over your mother or something equally bad there is absolutely no reason to be abusive to anyone for anything they do inside a game.

It's worth remembering that this is a game. Game - an activity that one engages in for amusement.

If you have to rage over a game you're probably not having fun and if you're not having fun the game is no longer serving it's purpose of amusement and in that case there's no longer any point to playing it, at least until later, so I'd recommend, rather than rage and be abusive and insulting towards people, take a break and do something else.

And the same goes for the forums; if you can't chide someone on their post without calling them a retard or spewing some other slight or insult then don't comment. People get insulted and abused for asking for help or venting some frustration or asking questions and it's not nearly necessary and it makes that person feel even more helpless if they're asking for help and more frustrated if they're venting and it doesn't solve anything.

The game and the forums will be loads more enjoyable for us all if we didn't have to put up with all the nonsense of rage and abuse flying around. It's really not that difficult; just takes some self control and forethought; think about what you're going to say before you say it and what the consequences will be which includes how that person will feel in response to you. Imagine how you yourself would feel if you were faced with the abuse that flies around; it's not great.

I know most people don't really put much stock in the insults and abuse and all the other things that go around the internet; I even have some friends who face all sorts of abuse and they don't actually care or say anything about it; they ignore it for the most part and that's probably the best way to deal with it, but ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away and while it's true you shouldn't let yourself be bothered by the behavior of others I just don't like to see it.

I can't stand going into dungeons or LFR or even raids and BGs and seeing the unadulterated abuse that flies around. I'm sick to death of it.

I can already see some responses to this. Stuff like, "then don't play" but that's not right either. I shouldn't have to give up something I enjoy playing just because I'm tired of the way people treat each other; why should I sacrifice something I've payed for just because people can't be considerate of others and control themselves? That's what it boils down to... people just don't care about others and if they did then the everything would be better.

I know it's idealistic but what I'm asking is for people to at least try and do right by their parents and make use of the manners and common civilities they were taught as children. If you can't be nice to someone at least then don't be abusive.
05/11/2014 13:43Posted by Hakuteiken
A huge bug bear of mine lately is how animosity and nastiness in the community these days!

WOW's community is widely known as one of the most toxic in the MMO world, and with good reason. It's been like this for many years, if you could go back to the forums of 2005 onwards you'd see exactly the same kind of community as exists now, it isn't a new phenomenon.
I actually read those whole wall, and I have to say, I agree.

This game is not annoying. This game isn't the problem. The players are.

Of course, not all the players, but I would say 50% of the players I meet, are very unpleasant people. Maybe it's just the server I play on, maybe it's not, but when I'm in raid group, I see nothing but vitriole and abuse filling the chat, and members coming and going.

Back when I started playing in Wrath (sorry, no Vanilla memories here) players were much kinder.

In dungeons and raids, the group were primarily nice, pleasant people, and anyone who was rude or abusive was warned, and ultimately kicked if they continued.

Now it seems like whoever has the biggest and baddest attitude is in charge of the group.

It's not good for an MMO when such abusive people are left in charge.

I'll admit it, I'm a bit of a [insert insult of your choosing] at time. Some people seriously annoy me. Ninja pulls for example. I'll insult them once or twice, but I'll quickly get over it once I've repaired my gear and rebuffed. Some people though, it's all they go on about for the rest of the raid.

The game is rated Teen. Not 18. Which means there are 13+ year olds playing it.
Yes, I know there are younger, but they shouldn't be, but thats a parental choice.

With such young people on there though, you need to run what you say through a "Grandma Test" first.

Think about what you're saying and think about how your Grandma would react to it. If she gets offended, it's probably not worth saying.
try to join the guild The brotherhood on Stormrage EU and you find the biggest idiots on the planet.
You obviously never played RIft. Biggest bunch of !@#$%^-s I have ever seen
I m from Russia, I remember the time when i played Mu online in computer clubs on Moscow private server, and community was nicer, because everyone was playing from computer clubs in Moscow, and people knew if they are disrespectful and troll for lols others going to find them and punish them ;D I miss that time.

Communities are generally bad nowadays just because people know that there won't be punishment so they are free to do and say what ever they want with out any consequence for them.
05/11/2014 14:01Posted by Йцуяя
Communities are generally bad nowadays just because people know that there won't be punishment so they are free to do and say what ever they want with out any consequence for them.

That's the anonymity of the internet.
It can turn someone who's generally nice in real life into the complete opposite.
Instead of google wasting money on Glass they need to develop a screen where you can reach in and punch the other person. But some of those !@#$%^-s would think twice about it if they knew they would get a slap
05/11/2014 14:07Posted by Lainni
Instead of google wasting money on Glass they need to develop a screen where you can reach in and punch the other person. But some of those !@#$%^-s would think twice about it if they knew they would get a slap

Pretty much this. It's like if you want to deal with speeding remove belts and hang the machete under their neck and we will have everyone driving not more then 3 km/h.
Yup internet ballz are a huge problem!!
05/11/2014 13:43Posted by Hakuteiken
I know it's idealistic but what I'm asking is for people to at least try and do right by their parents and make use of the manners and common civilities they were taught as children. If you can't be nice to someone at least then don't be abusive.

Not everyone seems capable of doing this. I find that it's best to ignore those; so you won't respond in a negative way yourself.
05/11/2014 13:53Posted by Gawian
The game is rated Teen. Not 18. Which means there are 13+ year olds playing it.
Yes, I know there are younger, but they shouldn't be, but thats a parental choice.

With such young people on there though, you need to run what you say through a "Grandma Test" first.
Exactly! As older people we should be setting the example, not fueling the flames. I like the idea of a "Grandma Test". I don't even use words like "damn" around my own grandmother xD

05/11/2014 14:12Posted by Bobslee
I find that it's best to ignore those; so you won't respond in a negative way yourself.
It's better that way. Rather not say anything than be abusive. I wish people would follow that more often.
wall of text, didnt even read lel.
05/11/2014 14:23Posted by Underpowered
wall of text, didnt even read lel.

Be nicer to each other...
Yea underpowered stop being a dick
Ignoring is best way to fight those, but sometimes, i just can't ignore. It bugs me how can they be so abusive and whatsoever.
I just be nice to everyone and ignore the annoying people best I can and make good use of the ignore feature. The only time you might consider me not being nice is with PVP. That's just part of the game though.
Oh my, this again, it seems like we get one of these posts every day, almost without fail.
05/11/2014 13:54Posted by Lainni
You obviously never played RIft. Biggest bunch of !@#$%^-s I have ever seen

FtP games always attract a load of idiots. Once you get out of the 1 - 29 chat it gets better.