Be Nicer to Each Other!

General
I did a Scenario, it was my first since I am new to MOP.

No idea what was really going on so I followed a guy and tanked some mobs as this is what a bear does, right? Well, he started shouting that I should do my job and leave him alone...

I then left him there and went to the other guy, he seemed to be much nicer and a few minutes later the scenario was completed.

So ya here I am, still not knowing what I did so wrong :D

I also noticed something while questing, a lot of people just ninja fish pools, grab nodes or flowers, some even skin the mobs you just killed... this is all really annoying and rude. Luckily the bear has a thick skin but still, this didn't happen at Vanilla.

If you saw such people a word to their guild master was enough and they were kicked but today you cant even talk to their guild masters anymore as they are not from your own realm... That whole Cross realm stuff is so bad for the game.
You can have an internet hug from me. :)
05/11/2014 15:24Posted by Testora
ninja fish pools, grab nodes or flowers,

How do you ninja any of those? If someone gets there first, its theirs.
05/11/2014 15:27Posted by Keg

Taking it while the player that actually got there first is busy defeating whatever mob may have been guarding it.
05/11/2014 15:31Posted by Agrima
Taking it while the player that actually got there first is busy defeating whatever mob may have been guarding it.

Then technically he didnt get there first did he? I get your point and yeah it sucks, but that's always been a part of this game. I seriously doubt that, as the person who I responded to said, that this type of thing didnt go on in classic wow.

Some people see their name on those things. Yep, it's crazy but it's true.

Anyhow, ditch the cross-server crap and you'll see the community getting better. Simply because if you're an ar.se you'll get that name and people won't play with you. It is that simple.
Not saying it will be all great, but better than what we have now.
05/11/2014 13:43Posted by Hakuteiken
If I rage at someone over something they did; like a ninja pull, my point is valid but because I'm raging and throwing obscenities and insults at them it invalidates my point and I come across as a whining, ill-tempered, childish twit and the point gets completely ignored while they make fun of me while I'm raging and then I'd rage about being made fun of while I'm still mad about the cause of my initial rage.

While I generally agree with you that people shouldn't be a such bunch of [insert your favourite obscenity here] so much (even if I somehow have very few such experiences), I think this is not helpful rhetoric: raging about what someone did wrong does not invalidate the point.

The raging idiot might still be right, it's just that such attitude is not helpful, because now they're seen as the raging idiot, and people are more likely to ignore what they said even if they're technically right ("meh, just another raging lunatic").

If someone thinks being right is enough to get people doing the right thing and listen to them, they're delusional. It's as if people were generally rational beings. Go read some books on psychology, and report back.

That moment when my level 52 paladin tries to find the right path to go 1 yard up to mine that mithril, and right then a Tauren druid flies over, and mines it before my very own eyes. Them filthy Horde stealing my nodes! I saw it first! :P

Jokes aside, a little bit of fair play could go a long way.
05/11/2014 15:33Posted by Keg
05/11/2014 15:31Posted by Agrima

Then technically he didnt get there first did he? I get your point and yeah it sucks, but that's always been a part of this game. I seriously doubt that, as the person who I responded to said, that this type of thing didnt go on in classic wow.

Well this did indeed happen in vanilla too, but it has always been a nasty thing to do. :P I'd call it being a ninja, don't ever do this myself.
05/11/2014 15:33Posted by Keg
Then technically he didnt get there first did he?

You do realise that depending on type of mob and player level, their attacks might keep interrupting any attempts to harvest the node to the extent of making it virtually impossible to harvest it without killing the mobs first? Just asking.
I always used Scatter Shot and Freezing Trap, or on this character Fist of Justice, on the one mining the node, then mined it myself, /laugh and bugger off.
/shrug

edit: Still do when I see an Alliance character mining. Once every three months or so..... (balance the servers damnit!)
05/11/2014 13:51Posted by Kraggy
WOW's community is widely known as one of the most toxic in the MMO world, and with good reason. It's been like this for many years, if you could go back to the forums of 2005 onwards you'd see exactly the same kind of community as exists now, it isn't a new phenomenon.
Agreed. That's the first thing I noticed when I tried WoW in 2007.
My observations is because due to the monthly fees, players feel they need a return of investments, and it helps them to consider the game as a second job or serious business. In that configuration, any other players that make them waste time are analysed as a huge hindrance. Plus the superiority feelin given by the fact that they can "afford" the game and they paid to be there.
Conversely I played a lot of F2P in which players simply do not care.You don't have those " what are we paying for exactly Blizz?" tones.
Be nice, or else it gets the hose again!
SHUT UP STUPID FORUMS NOOB!!!

No but seriously we should be nicer. Even just small in game things, give a low level a free boost through a dungeon. Splash out a few gold to newer players, 10g is pretty much 1 or 2 grey items being sold to a vendor for max levels.
Before cross-server instances, there were consequences for bad behaviour.

Now, with easy access to all content, there are no consequences, thus behaviour deteriorates.

This, my friends, is why we still have stuff like police, punishment and jails etc. Even the threat of hell exists for this reason.

Without a threat of consequence for your actions, the average human behaviour will deteriorate.

If I fight the mobs or killed those animals so I can skin them and then someone just grabs what I worked hard for then this isn't right.

I learned at Vanilla that any chest, quest mob, fishing node, ore, flower ... that someone claimed first by fighting for it isn't mine until he goes away.

Maybe this is not something you do or have learned but to me this is a basic rule of internet gaming, sadly a rule that people constantly ignore at WOW, at least those I met in the past few days.
On Argent Dawn, whenever I'm on, I offer internet / emote hugs to people, even in whisper - chats/advice if they're lonely, some boosts, I give gifts out - in return for my 'efforts' I get called a freak, weirdo, and worse.
I also have a group of stalkers harassing me.

I won't go into the details but. I too wish the community was nicer and am trying to do my part.
Every time I get a supportive thank you or 'you're doing good' it makes me want to continue, you know?

So this is to all the folk who do their part in making the game a better place - on the forums or in-game.

You're doing great, keep it up!
ITA.

I don't think it's a new thing, though.

Certainly not in my experience it isn't, anyway.

Some of the worst things I've seen have been on trade, between people from the same server.

05/11/2014 14:06Posted by Polymoore
It can turn someone who's generally nice in real life into the complete opposite.

Nah, it can allow someone who PRETENDS to be nice IRL, to be the complete opposite.

Slight difference there...
05/11/2014 15:22Posted by Keg
05/11/2014 13:54Posted by Lainni
You obviously never played RIft. Biggest bunch of !@#$%^-s I have ever seen

FtP games always attract a load of idiots. Once you get out of the 1 - 29 chat it gets better.

Believe me it didnt!
05/11/2014 15:58Posted by Kalistess
You do realise that depending on type of mob and player level, their attacks might keep interrupting any attempts to harvest the node to the extent of making it virtually impossible to harvest it without killing the mobs first? Just asking

I do realise this yes. Simple fact is, the node is anyone's who gets there first. it might be seen as a douche move to "steal" it when someone is fighting mobs, but that node isn't personal loot.

I see it as no different to standing there watching someone fight a rare and if he dies then have a go yourself.

05/11/2014 16:31Posted by Testora
If I fight the mobs or killed those animals so I can skin them and then someone just grabs what I worked hard for then this isn't right

This I agree with. having someone skin a mob right from under you is the height of bad manners. But then again, surely you are skinning them as you go though?

I learned at Vanilla that any chest, quest mob, fishing node, ore, flower ... that someone claimed first by fighting for it isn't mine until he goes away

Again, I doubt very much everyone would just walk by. I think you have your rose-tints on there.

Maybe this is not something you do or have learned but to me this is a basic rule of internet gaming

It really isn't. If you mean etiquette then maybe. But it doesn't make it wrong if someone "steals" your node. Especially as that node was never yours to begin with.
05/11/2014 13:53Posted by Gawian
but I would say 50% of the players I meet, are very unpleasant people.

Mine are 80%.

Besides abuse immaturity also pisses me off, although I know I should learn to ignore it, playing a game with majority of players who are mostly teenagers and past teenager age.

I've no idea how "Be nicer to each other" could work with immature and abusive players. They are deaf to such appeals. IMO only very strict rules can change their behavior. But in wow there rules are not such - I've heard many times someone telling to die of (terrible disease) and nothing was done, because other people used to say it too. I guess they were not even punished. If it was *my* game I'd give at least 1 week ban for the first time someone says something like this, and the second time would be perma ban.

But Blizzard care more about money so I believe they contributed to the community becoming so toxic, by not enforcing more strict rules.