Be Nicer to Each Other!

General
05/11/2014 15:33Posted by Keg
05/11/2014 15:31Posted by Agrima
Taking it while the player that actually got there first is busy defeating whatever mob may have been guarding it.

Then technically he didnt get there first did he? I get your point and yeah it sucks, but that's always been a part of this game. I seriously doubt that, as the person who I responded to said, that this type of thing didnt go on in classic wow.

Well, it depends...

If you see a person fighting a mob near a mining node and you don't know they're a miner, for example, you would be forgiven for mining the node.

If, however, you and the other person have been mining, near each other, for a while (so, you know they're also a miner) and then you see them fighting a mob near a node, it would be extremely rude to nip in there and "steal" that node from under them.

...and yet, this happens all the time.

People say it didn't happen in "Vanilla" and maybe it didn't, but probably because everyone was new and still on their best behaviour; because it certainly happened by the time I started playing and that was well before x-realm zones.

As a skinner, I try my best to not skin until I have ascertained that the person is not a skinner and/or they have run off.

But, I have had people skinning my kills before I could, in the past.

Also, if I'm in an instance with another skinner, I try to only skin about half the kills and leave them the other half.

But, often, they will just try to skin them all and leave me none.

05/11/2014 16:51Posted by Keg
This I agree with. having someone skin a mob right from under you is the height of bad manners. But then again, surely you are skinning them as you go though?

Well, say you're a in group, AOEing stuff and then someone else comes along and starts skinning some of the mobs, while you're skinning some of the others.

You can only skin one at a time, in other words.

Also, sometimes they're just so quick (or click spamming) that they can tap the target before you can click again, after looting.
05/11/2014 16:51Posted by Keg
I do realise this yes. Simple fact is, the node is anyone's who gets there first.

Yet you missed the point. I was there first. At the node. The only reason it's not harvested yet is because the mob kept interrupting me. Nobody's a gentleman these days, eh?
Sign of the times, the game is no longer social and has for some reason started to attract toxic, horrible people to its ranks.

Not much we can do about it.
Kids of Today tch ...
My recent experiences are on the contrary. I've played this game long enough to be abused in some way myself and I'm probably not always nice to other people. But both are so rare that I don't really mind. The next group is always much much better, no exceptions. Sometimes I even make new friends for exceptional performance both ways. Why bothering about failed groups is beyond me.

If you consistently get bad groups you have to look in the mirror. I experienced this as a monk tank since I was missing some essential tank mechanic. I opened up my mind, learnt from my mistakes and then all of a sudden I stopped getting bad groups (except for the occassional bad one).
I'm not sure if I'll cheer you up OP, but I'm quite a nice person to other people in game. Though I can be annoyed if some people do their job wrong, I rather not stress up about it and explain what I want to achieve in group. Sure not everyone in going to be as mature but you can't do anything about it rather than voicing your opinion and/or adding on ignore. The sad part is -(speaking from my experience) that majority of rude people I met were at age of 21-35. I really want to believe that you can get along with adult person, but apparently that is not the rule.

Another thing is pvp though. All want to win, yet there is mostly a big chaos on bg, and people easily get irritated.
05/11/2014 14:06Posted by Polymoore
That's the anonymity of the internet.
It can turn someone who's generally nice in real life into the complete opposite.

Nope, it actually shows someone's true colors.

Those generally nice that are doing bad things in game just because they can...they aren't really nice.
It's fake.
As for the nice people getting angry...that can happen to everyone ofc.
The node ninjaing used to be worse before tapping was introduced. People would walk up and attempt to mine the node while you were already mining it.

I even once had someone demand of me to kill beasts faster as they were bored of waiting to skin them.. After that, suddenly and mysteriously my autoloot got switched off... Oops..
Threatening and foul language aside, I don't see why people should be so nice to each other...

Everyone is playing to have fun. Wiping 10 times because of a lackluster in your group is not fun. If you get very upset people and annoyed folks around in the game, you might also need to develop yourself.

I always have a very solid performance, topping meters, avoiding fires and stuff and doing my assigned duties and I rarely get those idiots. Yes they exist, but I get much more "i love you man" messages than those haters.

But if you think he is overreacting to a simple mistake, or raging in a starter content(like a casual scenario run or whatever), you can retailate and insult him back. Don't be weak and so emotional, seriously.

I also agree all about the disappearance of community identity and that but that's a slightly different issue. I play since open beta in 2004 and from the first day there was people who are ragers, haters or ninjas. Community was self policing against those. But if you really feel like coming to forums and write a wall of text just because someone took your mining node, you should really go to a massage and relax yourself. !@#$ happens. I used to do it all the time against the opposing faction too, it's fun. And I used to BoP a faction member who is mining in vanilla so his cast would be interrupted and I steal the node from him and say "lol". It's just funny and not a big deal, get over it.
05/11/2014 19:35Posted by Awyera
My recent experiences are on the contrary. I've played this game long enough to be abused in some way myself and I'm probably not always nice to other people. But both are so rare that I don't really mind. The next group is always much much better, no exceptions. Sometimes I even make new friends for exceptional performance both ways. Why bothering about failed groups is beyond me.

If you consistently get bad groups you have to look in the mirror. I experienced this as a monk tank since I was missing some essential tank mechanic. I opened up my mind, learnt from my mistakes and then all of a sudden I stopped getting bad groups (except for the occassional bad one).

Exactly, this one.

I just joined a pug today and did SoO mythic with them. Most of them were real life friends.
I ended up being #1 on damage meters, switched to healer and did heal on some bosses too. I really tried my best, avoided distractions and did my job. Right after they added me on realid and they want to raid with me in WoD. They are nice guys and some of them even told me we can meet in real life and have a lan party or something.

If you perform well, act nice, try to do your best, care about the group etc. it's very unlikely that you will get assh oles all the time. Try to get better.
I'm that dude that if I can give you a portal (on my mage) to somewhere I will and even whisper you after to say 'have a nice day' simply because it may well brighten their day some.

While I'm certainly not going to sit here and say I've never been an idiot either on these forums or in game I do very much try to keep it to a minimum or not at all if I can. I much prefer to be nice and offer support and help in game when I can.

When I had more time I used to help people in trade chat that wanted that random boost through a dungeon or something, Sadly not been able to do that in some time.

The other day I was farming for lesser charms from some pesky toads on the timeless isles, I seen this rogue have a few deaths so I put him on focus and healed him when he was near by so it was less of a pain for him to grind out the coins, Invited him to my group to share kills and make it easier for him in the long run.

I find doing little things that just make someone else's day go a little smoother is enough to cheer them up.
06/11/2014 00:58Posted by Orlen
The other day I was farming for lesser charms from some pesky toads on the timeless isles, I seen this rogue have a few deaths so I put him on focus and healed him when he was near by so it was less of a pain for him to grind out the coins

It's little things like that I do too. Like helping to kill an enemy if they're struggling for example.
And whenever someone offers me a tip for a portal, I say a tip is not necessary,
Sometimes I give them a tip just to see their reaction. :)

One time I was a bit bored so I made some bags and flew around in Elwynn Forest and Westfall and gave them to new players.
06/11/2014 00:58Posted by Orlen

I find doing little things that just make someone else's day go a little smoother is enough to cheer them up.

I'm the same, it's also a nice feeling to trade buffs with random players as well. If I'm working on my loremaster title I also keep an eye out for low levels in trouble and help out if I can.
05/11/2014 13:51Posted by Kraggy
WOW's community is widely known as one of the most toxic in the MMO world, and with good reason. It's been like this for many years, if you could go back to the forums of 2005 onwards you'd see exactly the same kind of community as exists now, it isn't a new phenomenon.

LoL is worse
05/11/2014 19:35Posted by Awyera

While I can relate to not being abused all the time, the logic of this paragraph is severely flawed. All you have written is, actually, "I got better, so they had no reason to rage; I have no idea if they were nice people otherwise."
06/11/2014 00:37Posted by Silverfísh
I ended up being #1 on damage meters, switched to healer and did heal on some bosses too. I really tried my best, avoided distractions and did my job. Right after they added me on realid and they want to raid with me in WoD. They are nice guys and some of them even told me we can meet in real life and have a lan party or something.

People's true colours show not when they interact with the better from them, or even peers. They show when they interact with the weaker. Everybody can be nice to the awesome player that is #1 on the damage meters, and does everything well. It's easy.
Welcome to the Age of Entitlement in WoW.
I always try to be nice, even though it sometimes can be hard (that is not to say I don't stand against meanies). I've noticed that often people who don't treat others well are not used to be treated kindly themselves. They usually even seem pleasantly surprised when I am kind to them. The problem is, such persons often think I must have taken a special liking to them or that I have some ulterior motives. So being nice has its downsides as well.