♠ WoD [6.0] - WINDWALKER PVP GUIDE (Written)

Monk
Video Guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2TmpX-pX7I&feature=youtu.be

Hey guys.: After many, MANY hours of testing, recording and editing, my guide is finally here! This took a lot of effort, so I appreciate ALL kinds of feedback. Enjoy!
(This is my FIRST written guide, so it might not be as polished as I want it to be!)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***TALENT TREE***

Not much has changed since my last guide in 5.4, but I will still go over my thoughts and reasoning behind the choices.

• Tier 1: Tigers lust cause of it's ability to get you out of roots, and speed increase.

• Tier 2: Still the biggest dmg increase and also the fastest heal out of the other choices.

• Tier 3: Chibrew is still the best, despite having been nerfed from 45 sec to 1 min.
    But it's still a good engage ability, since it still gives 2 chi per use, and a minimum of 2 stacks of Tigereye brew. Which scales with mastery.

(Some people like to go with Ascension instead, but with enough haste, our rotation should be smooth enough to not need the increased energy regen, and in WoD we already have a 5th Chi slot from our "enhanced ability perk" from leveling up).

• Tier 4: Since Ring of Peace has been changed into an incapacitation effect, which makes it pretty much useless. Leg sweep is the only viable option in my opinion.

• Tier 5: This tier is as always very situational. You should go Healing Elixirs for non-caster fights, and use Diffuse Magic for all caster fights.

• Tier 6: I'm still using Rushing Jade Wind cause I don't feel that the rotation is slow enough to lose the AoE effect, and it's still SO useful for catching stealthed people off guard.

• Tier 7: (Is the new level 100 talents tier, if you don't know what they do, I've made a video about it right here): http://bit.ly/1txGhDf
    So after a lot of testing, I've found that Serenity is the best ability for bursting down a target and has paid off greatly in many cases. It's also proven to be a fast way to build up Tiger Eye Brews, since you can spam Blackout Kick during the
    duration of the spell. Only prob is if you get CC'ed during the effect, it's pretty much wasted.
    But with good timing, or inexperienced opponents, this shouldn't be a problem.

(Some people might go for Chi Explosion instead, for more reliable dmg, I do however find it less effective than Serenity, since it often consumes more chi than you want it to, you only really wanna spend 2-3 chi, but you often end up spending 4, and it slows down your rotation quite a lot).

(Hurricane Strike has great potential against single targets, but still doesn't add up to the dmg done by Serenity, and becomes significantly weaker whenever there are multiple targets, such as pets).

• -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***GLYPHS***

There's a major problem with the glyps, since there are 4 of them that are kinda mandatory, but there's only 3 slots. Glyph of Freedom Roll used to be a bonus on our PVP gloves, but is now a major glyph which is a HUGE problem.

However, since you can only have 3 of them, I've decided to use:

• Glyph of Freedom Roll
  • Glyph of Touch of Death
  • Glyph of Touch of Karma

• (The reason I didn't choose Paralysis, is that it's been nerfed down to 4 sec, no matter what direction the enemy is facing, so it's no longer as effective for CC'ing, and I think that Glyph of Freedom Roll provides a much more needed boost to utility, which is really beneficial against classes that uses a a lot of slows.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***STAT PRIORITY***

It's still quite early in the expansion, so this might not be set in stone, but I'm currenly running:

Multistrike > Haste > Versatility > Crit > Mastery

I've found that it works great for the rotation, since energy startvation is still our biggest enemy.

***DMG ROTATION***

First I wanna remind you that Fist of Fury now only stuns your target ONCE, so it's even more important to follow up with a Leg Sweep directly afterwards.
    The rotation is as follows:

Tiger Palm > 10 Stacks of Tiger Eye Brew > Rising Sun Kick >
      RJW > Fist of Fury > Leg Sweep > Serenity > Spam Blackout Kicks

If done right, your should be able to pull of 8-10 Blackout Kicks, and do a MASSIVE amount of dmg.

***MACROS***
    (First of all, I wanna say, that these are only macros I find useful, and there's probably
    more advanced and better ones out there, but I find these to be really helpful for my playstyle. If you want the explanation to the macros, please refer to my VIDEO guide).

►"Tigers Lust"
    #showtooltip Tiger's Lust
    /cancelaura Body and Soul
    /cancelaura Stampeding Roar
    /cast [nomod] Tiger's lust
    /cast [mod:alt, target=Vicarate] Tiger's Lust

►"Shadowmeld"
    #showtooltip
    /cancelaura Rushing Jade Wind
    /cast Shadowmeld

►"Rising Provoke"
    #showtooltip Rising Sun Kick
    /cast Provoke
    /cast Rising Sun Kick

►"Touch of Karma"
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:ctrl,target=focus] Touch of Karma
    /cast Touch of Karma

►"Paralysis
    #showtooltip paralysis
    /cancelaura Spinning Crane Kick
    /cancelaura Hand of Protection
    /cast [nomod] paralysis
    /cast [mod:ctrl, @focus,exists] paralysis

►Fortifying Brew
    #showtooltip Fortifying Brew
    /cast Fortifying Brew
    /use Healthstone

►"Burst Macro"
    #showtooltip
    /cast Tigereye Brew
    /use Primal Combatant's Badge of Conquest

►"Zen Diffusion"
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] !Zen Meditation
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Diffuse Magic
    /cast [mod:alt] Diffuse Magic

►"Kick Macro"
    #showtooltip Spear Hand Strike
    /cast [nomod] Spear Hand Strike
    /cast [mod:alt, @focus,exists] Spear Hand Strike

***USEFUL ADDONS***

The most important one for Arenas, is GladiusEx. You can also get the more common one simply called Gladius. They're not that different, it's just a matter of taste and choice. This addon replaces the default blizzard UI frames, but can be set to different sizes to fit your taste. It also tells you what spec your teammates and enemies are, and when they used their trinket and the CD until it's back up, and the CD's or some of their spells that could greatly affect you. I wouldn't PVP without it!

Secondly I'm using: TellMeWhen. This is a great CD tracking addon, that I use to keep a track of my Tigerpalm. It can be set to track anything you like, and is a great feature.

Thirdly: I use OmniCC, which puts a CD timer on top of my abilities. This is great way to check how long you have to wait for you abilites to be usable again.

Fourthly: BattlegroundTargets. This lets you see the class, spec and role of the enemy team in a battleground. Very useful for keeping track of who's carrying the flag, and who's healing.

Fifthly: Is MiksScrollingBattleText (or MSBT for short). This one isn't essential, but I find it very neat and clean. It simply lets you filter any combat message, like dmg, healing, absorbs etc. And puts it nicely next to your character instead of being spread out all over the place.

***IMPORTANT CHANGES***

• First and foremost, which is the biggest change and NERF imo, is
    Touch of Karma. It now only absorbs 50% of our max HP. This makes NO sense since many other classes still have way stronger defensives, like Ice Block x2, Deterrence x2, Paladin bubbles etc. Most people don't even bother cc'ing you during Touch of Karma anymore, but just burst right through it. This probably means we'll more often than not, be the main target in arenas.

• Secondly: Healing Spheres are now gone, and have been replaced by Surging Mist which in itself isn't a big deal. Instead of an instant cast, it's now a 1.4 sec cast. The problem lies in it's strenght. After some testing, whilst having 180k health, it only heals for about 9k normally. And we don't even have instant casts like
    Ferals, Paladins and Enhancement Shamans. This won't matter as much in 3v3's, since our off-heals has never really been our focus.

• Thirdly: As mentioned before, Fist of Fury now only stuns the target ONCE, however it will always do 100% of it's dmg to your main target. Which means it will only split it's dmg between enemies that you're NOT targeting. It also requires your target to be in melee range, which is quite annoying.

• Fourthly: Transcendence is now on a 10 sec CD, and can be cast instantly. Transfer is still on a 25 sec CD, but is ALSO instant. This will be really useful from some good "escape tricks".

• Fifthly: Jab now costs 45 Energy, which isn't really doing much, but is worth mentioning if you are still at a lower level and feel that your rotation is somewhat slower. This becomes better when you reach level 100, and start getting more haste.

• Sixthly: As I also mentioned earlier, Paralysis has been nerfed down to 4 sec, regardless of the direction your target is facing, which means we've got way less CC than before.

• Seventhly: Many abilities have been removed. Disarm is gone for every class, not just for us. We also only have one buff now, but it does the same as the two did before. And our beloved Spinning Fire Blossom is gone, which was such a great tool for catching up to kiting targets.

• Eightly: This might be changed in the future, but currently our 2 set PVP bonus gives a 30 Energy Reduction to our Jab, every time we roll. This is not a problem per say, but it feels like it's trying to force us to roll more often than needed. I advice you to see this as just a benefit and not a requirement. Only roll when you need to, not to get the energy reduction.

• And that finishes of my guide for this time. Really hope this helps you, and ofc
    if you have any questions or need some clarification feel free to leave a comment
    down below or hit me up on any of my social media, which you can find on my youtube channel listed in the top of this guide.

THANK YOU FOR READING! :)
    Well since no one selse is gonan say something, i'm gonna be the first to say good job dude :)

On a side note, is anyone planning on making a Mistweaver guide for PvP? Just to know so i don't start and get half way through before someone actually makes it :D
    29/11/2014 16:00Posted by Charrx
    Well since no one selse is gonan say something, i'm gonna be the first to say good job dude :)

On a side note, is anyone planning on making a Mistweaver guide for PvP? Just to know so i don't start and get half way through before someone actually makes it :D

Thank you, glad you liked it! :)
    no idea why you would want haste over crit, I feel like i spend 95% of my life in CC / kited and with serenity I am capped on energy a lot. The 5+ cost on jab I can barely notice. Especially as it is the beginning of the expansion haste values will get higher as gear gets stronger, but even right now at the very beginning I feel fine haste-wise and don't forsee ever needing haste this expansion.

unless you use chi explosion... which is a disgusting awful talent that kills your rotation and if u use it you deserve to lose every arena :<

other than that, the guide is pretty good. You could add in some sections for general gameplay tips, such as kiting, peeling, healing, CCing, etc. You could have a section for 3v3 comps but even I personally think it's too early to be making assumptions. I think it can be safely said that WW/hunter/disc will be the strongest comp. WWPS and WWLS will always be solid, albeit significantly underpowered this season.

but thank you for making this written guide, saves me the effort of doing one! :p

I will be making a brewmaster pvp guide shortly, I don't want to reveal any details now but trust my expert gladiator opinion that this spec is INSANE in pvp this season. I forsee a huge spike in it's popularity once people realize it's potential (much like the disc-holy transition in S13)
    no idea why you would want haste over crit, I feel like i spend 95% of my life in CC / kited and with serenity I am capped on energy a lot. The 5+ cost on jab I can barely notice. Especially as it is the beginning of the expansion haste values will get higher as gear gets stronger, but even right now at the very beginning I feel fine haste-wise and don't forsee ever needing haste this expansion.

unless you use chi explosion... which is a disgusting awful talent that kills your rotation and if u use it you deserve to lose every arena :<

other than that, the guide is pretty good. You could add in some sections for general gameplay tips, such as kiting, peeling, healing, CCing, etc. You could have a section for 3v3 comps but even I personally think it's too early to be making assumptions. I think it can be safely said that WW/hunter/disc will be the strongest comp. WWPS and WWLS will always be solid, albeit significantly underpowered this season.

but thank you for making this written guide, saves me the effort of doing one! :p

Well it's like I said in the guide, it's still early in the expansion, so it might be changed, but I currently feel like crit is just coming to me on it's own, already having 25% after not even trying to stack it. And now when it's only a 150% crit dmg, it just feels a little less effective. I'm hoping that when we the season starts and we get our CP gear, that we'll land around 35-40% crit flat, which is fine in my eyes. The haste feels better in my opinion just to get more jabs out (which = more chi ofc) and to properly have more times where I can afford to use RJW. Preference I guess, but it's what I find works the best at least.

Glad you think the guide is good! I'm thinking of making a video with "hints and tricks" soon, so might add that to the guide once I've written the script. All in time ;)
    I noticed although the 2set says -30 energy on the next Jab, when I have a look it actually says it costs 25 Energy, not 15.

Just a quick note.
    01/12/2014 18:37Posted by Sintheria
    I noticed although the 2set says -30 energy on the next Jab, when I have a look it actually says it costs 25 Energy, not 15.

Just a quick note.

Yeah, I've noticed that too, I don't know if the tooltip of the PVP set is wrong, or if the actual cost reduction is bugged, but I assumed the reduction was when making this guide.. :/
    So i got a question about fist of fury, what does it mean that it only stuns the target ONCE? Is the stun as long as the fist of fury duration or what? And which glyph would you recommed to fist of fury? The parry one, the move while channeling or the 5 yard one?
    02/12/2014 06:08Posted by Doffyz
    So i got a question about fist of fury, what does it mean that it only stuns the target ONCE? Is the stun as long as the fist of fury duration or what? And which glyph would you recommed to fist of fury? The parry one, the move while channeling or the 5 yard one?

It means that before, it would stun the target multiple times for the duration of FoF, so it would basically last the full duration of FoF, but now it only does it for about 2 sec, and then your enemy can just walk out of it. (it's even worse now with the new DR's, so sometimes it NEVER stuns.)

I WOULDN'T recommend ANY of the FoF glyphs, since the other ones I've mentioned in the guide are very much mandatory. However IF I had to choose one, it'd be the one that increases your FoF range by 5 range. But I strongly advice you against picking anything else but the ones I mentioned in the guide.

Hope this cleared some things up for you :)
    Yep it did, thanks alot :)
    02/12/2014 14:41Posted by Kungfusnus
    Yep it did, thanks alot :)

You're welcome :)
    Very nice guide! Helps a lot.
    04/12/2014 14:51Posted by Jackiechance
    Very nice guide! Helps a lot.

Glad you think so, and that it helped! :)
    Can we get one of these for mist weaver?
    12/12/2014 14:51Posted by Suicuine
    Can we get one of these for mist weaver?

Sadly no, I don't play MW in PVP. Otherwise I would gladly have made one :)
    At the rate we're nerfed i can resume your PvP guide in 3 words: Roll a Rogue!

No need to thank me.
    How come you use Touch of death glyh?

Seeing as you can't use that on players what do you use it on?

Pets?
    17/12/2014 16:15Posted by Alyana
    How come you use Touch of death glyh?

Seeing as you can't use that on players what do you use it on?

Pets?

You CAN actually. It's just streamlined into the skill.
    The "can be used on tough TARGETS when below 10% health" part, is probably referring to players too. None the less, I know it's usable since I'm using it constantly :P