Alchemy worthless?

Professions
Hi, im just wondering.
How am i supposed to make money of Alchemy when all the greater flasks go for 19g buyout?
Am i missing something or is it indeed a worthless profession?

thanks
I came here for the exact same reason.....
No profession is ever worthless, but there will always be some that are worth less than most alternatives. Even if you have to stay away from current content to get a large part of your income.

One greater flask is equal to 10.5 herbs (given 700 alch or lvl 100 follower) and 0.2 sorcerous water/fire. On my realm I've been buying herbs for under 1g each for weeks now, and sorcerous vary in price but are often as low as 10-20g. If we go by 1g herbs and 20g sorcerous then one flask costs 14.5g to craft, which allows for a bit of profit on selling them. Then there's buff potions which cost 3g each to craft with the same pricing.

For the pre-WoD crafts, go for Arcanite Bars, Primal might, Truegold, Living Steel. As you can see, transmute master is what you should have. Vial of the Sands is also something I sell regularly, and here checking AH regularly to get mats (volatile life/air/fire/water, azshara's veil/whiptail/cinderbloom, albino cavefish/deepstone oil, pyrium bar) at decent prices is important.
I'm making quite a bit on potions. Especially agility and strength potions. I buy the herbs for 50-70s a piece, then sell pots for 35-45g per 5 potions on wednesday - sunday. Not the big spike that you get from making epic items etc, but (including a few pets) I have made 30k the last 2 days.
An alt of mine is alchy and just started in draenor. She can now make Draenic agility flask and greater draenic agility flask. The old MoP agility flask gives 114 agil for an hour, the draenic gives 107 and the greater draenic gives 133. Seems strange to me that the best flask now is not even 20 points higher than the MoP one. The draenic is even lower. Not doing away with the MoP agil as the difference is so small that they still are useful. Don't know yet if this is the case with all other flasks but i think it might be.
08/01/2015 07:29Posted by Popje
An alt of mine is alchy and just started in draenor. She can now make Draenic agility flask and greater draenic agility flask. The old MoP agility flask gives 114 agil for an hour, the draenic gives 107 and the greater draenic gives 133. Seems strange to me that the best flask now is not even 20 points higher than the MoP one. The draenic is even lower. Not doing away with the MoP agil as the difference is so small that they still are useful. Don't know yet if this is the case with all other flasks but i think it might be.

The MoP flask does not scale with level, the WoD flask does.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=76084 is 114 agi all the way from 85 to 100.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=109145 is 51 to 200 agility. Level 94 is when it overtakes MoP flask.
Oh, that sounds a lot better.:)
It's funny how they aim to make the game "more intuitive for normal players" and then build strange, unexplainable, immersion breaking, scaling stuff that isn't discoverable properly ingame and hard to explain without complete "out of the games world" 'balancing' or other argumentation. :/

Good thing my paladin is the alchemist. And I'd currently be too embarrased to play him because Hunters and Paladins seem to attract the 'créme' of the playerbase, currently.
The problem that I have with alchemy that you can only learn few recipes for flaks and few potions and one that is cosmetic. You can't make flask that is usable in arena anymore, nor you can use crafted potions in proving grounds while you can use engineering items, which isn't fair at all imo.

I wish we could make some awesome stuff with alchemy, the last time we did was vial of the sands, we cant create any alchemy toy or pet, and the only funny thing now that we can make is gender changing potion. ;f

So alchemy feels super butchered and feels lackuster, while engineering is still fun imo.

Another thing that is worthy of mention is the only item e can create is a trinket again yet there is NO WAY to upgrade it while enginnering allows you to upgrade crafter item up to ilevel 655. And it's head item! When it comes to important gear elements it's head item, weapons and trinkets.

There is absolutely nothing exciting about this profession.
My main issue with it is that Catalysts are, almost literally, useless. The only hope for Alchemy is, in my opinion, bringing back Transmutations and Specializations.

What sort of transmutations? Even if it was just something like 1 Sorcerous X + 10 Catalyst = 1 Sorcerous Y, it'd already be a step in the right direction. As for specializations, come on, any random with an Alchemy Lab can do the same as an alchemist... at least let us do it a bit better than them :)
I'm stockpiling catalysts and waiting for eventually new recipes.For now, only profitable alchemy craft is transmute : Living Steel used for Sky Golems .
14/01/2015 03:08Posted by Kailea
I'm stockpiling catalysts and waiting for eventually new recipes.For now, only profitable alchemy craft is transmute : Living Steel used for Sky Golems .

+Truegold for Vial of Sands, +Arcanite Bar for Sulfuron Hammer.