Kill the flying questions

General
1 2 3 14 Next
Make flight masters travel way faster than epic flying and add a couple more nodes?
Wouldnt work.....some people would still want to fly over the hill coz they CBA going around it!
I cba to log in anymore, so flying or no flying, whatever!

I'm gonna say it again, I paid for a cake and I got a very small delicious cookie that's been gone for weeks now.
07/01/2015 09:57Posted by Rencarex
I got a very small delicious cookie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXq8TKq-a8
07/01/2015 09:57Posted by Rencarex
I'm gonna say it again, I paid for a cake and I got a very small delicious cookie that's been gone for weeks now.

It's interesting to see that people judge the whole cake by the one crumb that fell off.
We are making some huge improvements to the way flight paths work in 6.1.

There are hundreds of flight paths in Draenor. The way it works right now, if you don’t know a flight point, the flight master won’t use it as a connecting node when you're travelling from point A to point B. If you've missed a few flight points (which is very easy to do), this means certain flight paths are be much less efficient than they could be.

In 6.1, flight masters will use flight points you haven’t discovered as connecting points. This will make things much more efficient.
07/01/2015 10:45Posted by Takralus

There are hundreds of flight paths in Draenor. The way it works right now, if you don’t know a flight point, the flight master won’t use it as a connecting node when you're travelling from point A to point B. If you've missed a few flight points (which is very easy to do), this means certain flight paths are be much less efficient than they could be.

In 6.1, flight masters will use flight points you haven’t discovered as connecting points. This will make things much more efficient.

It is still a retrograde step though and in no way allows us the freedom we have experienced for the last 8 years since flying was introduced in TBC.
07/01/2015 10:55Posted by Sylkh

It is still a retrograde step though and in no way allows us the freedom we have experienced for the last 8 years since flying was introduced in TBC.

You're confusing freedom with convenience.
Wouldn't it be better if long connections would be able to skip those minor nodes along the way, creating a shorter flight? Basically, connect one or two central nodes per zone with every other central node - and then combine that with your new tech to let a taxi fly over nodes that aren't known yet.
knocking some of the prices down a bit would help too. a few gold may not be as much as it used to be but it still adds up pretty fast if you travel a lot. when my alt was doing the stables dailies I ended up leaving the breadcrumb to Nagrand in my questlog for the free flight to the border to save on costs

as for flying mounts, I do want them eventually in draenor, the exploring on ground will eventually become tedious once I've seen the areas and done the quests so many times across different characters but for now the lack doesn't bother me much. it'll also be a shame to see some of the clever treasures become so much easier with flying, but perhaps a small no-fly aura around them (until they're looted) would work
07/01/2015 11:08Posted by Starkenberg
07/01/2015 10:55Posted by Sylkh

No, I chose my words quite precisely thank you. What you see as a matter of mere convenience, I see as freedom of choice to move around the game world in the manner to which I have become accustomed and which I wish could be restored. I fully accept that others do not share this opinion, but that does not make it any less valid as your post appears to suggest.
Edit: never mind. Probably I confused the borders of Talador.

One more thing...
I couldn't fly from Ashran to Shattrath (that high ground neutral building). I flew down to Vol'jin's Pride, the main Talador hub, and I still couldn't fly there. Eventually I just rode up and we met with my friend inside the city.
The day before I could fly down from my garrison.

And your being a douche as the guy/girl knows exactly what they are saying .
First World Problems. The only reason I'd like flying to be implemented is to be able to take screenshots. Other than that, I don't need it and neither does anyone else. http://teegra.imgur.com/

Will these changes affect other continents?
There are only 2 things I want regarding flight in Draenor:

1. Rocket boosters on the fliers (+50% speed). :)
2. Ability to jump off (with a parachute or glider) in midflight. That would just be awesome!

you're "great improvements" are really not that great. I already have all the flight paths unlocked on my main account and it still takes too damn long to get from a to B.

Make the flight paths significantly faster at least. I mean double their current speed, as it takes way too long at the moment.

But it will still involve flying to locations that are not actually relevant to the destination. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, not a crooked bendy-!@# line passing through (or quite often circling before passing through) any number of irrelevant locations along the way.

As long as your FlightPoint system insists on taking me on a tour of the world for every journey I will continue to hit the master, then tab-out and do something else.
Your efforts to immerse us more into the world are actually having precisely the opposite effect for me.

I'm taking more and more Tab-Out time, making more and more use of changing my HS bind point to skip flight points. I used to only do those things on very VERY long trips, now i'm doing it ALL THE TIME.
Previously, I would consider using a TP item and then opt not too because the activity of flying there manually was enjoyable enough to make using the cooldown less attractive. Now its "other side of the zone ? TP item if available"
Is this REALLY want you want ?

I've read the posts on the US forums about the RP thinking behind forced ground design, and yeah, it all sounds worthwhile when you spin it the right way, but on a day to day basis, this design decision simple comes across as a feeble and dishonest attempt to save costs on design and to extend the lifetime of the content by artificial means.
07/01/2015 12:08Posted by Tinheart
2. Ability to jump off (with a parachute or glider) in midflight. That would just be awesome!

This was actually touted as being a part of the Vanilla release, it got axed for reasons unknown, probably because they hadnt bothered their rear-ends to texture half of the world along the tops of mountain ranges that were crossed by FP. I suspect the same thing is also true in Draenor....
07/01/2015 12:20Posted by Clovern
probably because they hadnt bothered their rear-ends to texture half of the world along the tops of mountain ranges that were crossed by FP. I suspect the same thing is also true in Draenor....

it's not. you actually CAN fly in Draenor using the Gnomish or Goblin large garrison building to get a short duration flight on a rocket and can use that to see that the areas were designed with the ability to fly in mind. hardly surprising since the most recent word from Blizzard is that flying won't be in 6.1 but is planned at some point, it'd be silly not to build the world with that in mind. back in classic they never intended flying mounts at all and so didn't take that into account