[Information] Starter Account for returning players

New/Returning Player Questions & Guides
Warning to all players whose Accounts laps and then become Active again:

the DMF Profession Quests seem to bug-out your characters' Primary Profession progress, reducing your skills to 100 when your Account becomes active again.

I personally ran into this, and try to get the matter resolved*, but till then, buyer beware!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14899492706?page=1
Another Veteran account limitation that IS NOT APPLIED TO starter edition accounts is the INABILITY TO DIG UP ARCHAELOGY FINDS. I surveyed and found all six Dwarf archaeological finds with the "survey" function using a lv 20 character, but after clicking on the found artifact items, a message says "Not available for Starter accounts" so even though I could "complete a dig site", I could NOT COLLECT any of my finds and hence I cannot level Archaeology at all. There go an additional 5 prize points for the Darkmoon Faire :-( In contrast, on Starter Edition accounts I have been able to get those 5 prize points for the Darkmoon Faire and hence a few steps closer towards obtaining BoA Heirloom gear. :-)

While it seems difficult to understand why Blizzard is being even more restrictive on Veteran Accounts who have paid them money in the past than Starter Edition who may never have paid them any money, I suppose the value of enticing potentially new customers gets them offers that former clients will not get, which I admit is fairly common business practice in real world commerce. Still and with all due respect towards Blizzard, it seems a little scrooge-like. While the subscription model may be loosing ground in the market place, it seems that Blizzard's attitude towards F2P models seems a little begrudging. Fair enough, since nobody is forced to play any of these games and Blizzard is paying for those who either have decided they cannot afford subscriptions at the moment or only want to trial the game.

Furthermore, in the spirit of trying to be objective, I must admit that Veteran accounts do also have a few perks that Starter Edition accounts do not have, such as: not losing some previous acquisitions such as any gold they already had beyond 10g, being able to join guilds their other characters are members of and staying in any guild already joined, being able to whisper to characters that are members of your current guild, and the ability to use guild chat in addition to the say and party channels. So not all is negative on the Veteran account battlefront :-)

Doublezz
Just wanted to inform that the xp-lock issue with xp-locked characters who had their xp-unlocked in trial status has been solved. Xp-locked characters on a veteran account are keeping their xp-lock but are not able to join battlegrounds and arena/skirmishes. They can however do dungeons and wargames are untested. Will inform after testing wargames.
Didn't know about this earlier, thank you for this very useful information. :)
This is brilliant! Maybe I could level "Xe" up to 20 .. it has been level 4 since 2011!!!! :) poor gal. :c
Is there also limitations about the speech on the NPCs? I'll explain better, I'm playing the starting area of the Worgen and I've noticed that the NPCs (when I click them of course) just say the same two phrases over and over, nevermind how many times I click them, so I ask if the limitiations are related also about the standard NPCs speech when you click them or it's just a bug. I'm using the italian version by the way.

I didn't tried the other races to be honest so I don't know if the problem it's just related to this race and starting area. I've also noticed that when typing /joke my character says always the same joke all the times, that's why I'm asking if there are limitations also related to this. Sorry If my questions sound stupid, but since I've noticed this thing I'm curious to know if the starter/veteran account limitiations affects also this aspect or if someone else has noticed this thing too. See you guys :)
Sorry for raising up an old thread, but forum topics search brought me there and I want to know, is the issue with profession progress on 'veteran' accounts was fixed, or it's still in game? Anvarra's topic locked by GM, so I can't ask there.

And another question: few days ago I've locked exp on this character to suit him (and few others) well for going 'veteran', and noticed that I've started to recieve much less gold from LFG-dungeons. For an example, about 1-1.5 gold per run, while before this I've had 5-7 golds per run. Should I unlock exp before going 'veteran', or I'll have chance to do it after?

Also, I've created 'personal guild' for this toon while I had a chance. Will I had the way to use guild bank and money later, as a head of that guild?

Sorry for poor english, it's not my native language, obviously.
Btw, if anyone have troubles with spelling my toon name — it's 'Stromwald'.
Okay. My subscription time run out, and I've got some answers, well, hard way.

29/11/2015 16:51Posted by Стромвальд
Also, I've created 'personal guild' for this toon while I had a chance. Will I had the way to use guild bank and money later, as a head of that guild?

'Unavailable for starter accounts'. So, I've lost access to guild bank and moneys, despite the fact that I'm the only one member of this guild.

I also turned back exp at the last moment (later got 8 golds after SFK run), so second question have no use for me now.

Also: when I went fishing, my 385 fishing skill resetted to 100, and that's sucks. I can't fish coins in Dalaran fountain anymore (and probably sewer rat too). Other professions are fine, btw.

Upd: now my cooking skill also resetted back to 100 from 420+. Looks like it happened after daily cooking quest, so, I guess, Darkmoon Faire profession quests are still unsafe to do for 'special' twinks, who want to keep access to some items (engineering trinkets/back/head, for an example).
Let's say with a Starter account I finish a lot of quests after I've reached Level 20 (for quests I'm eligible of course).Does my experience add up for all quests I've finished and stuff I've done later after I pay Subscription or add Game TIme at some point?

Also, what is the point of freezing experience gain?
30/11/2015 20:07Posted by Стромвальд
Also: when I went fishing, my 385 fishing skill resetted to 100, and that's sucks. I can't fish coins in Dalaran fountain anymore (and probably sewer rat too). Other professions are fine, btw.

Upd: now my cooking skill also resetted back to 100 from 420+. Looks like it happened after daily cooking quest, so, I guess, Darkmoon Faire profession quests are still unsafe to do for 'special' twinks, who want to keep access to some items (engineering trinkets/back/head, for an example).

Good to know, even if nowadays I basically do the odd World Event (non-DMF) with my Locked characters.
Odd that the bug happened again btw, as it was definitely a bug (a.o.t. CS said so).

15/03/2016 13:51Posted by Kapetancina
Let's say with a Starter account I finish a lot of quests after I've reached Level 20 (for quests I'm eligible of course).Does my experience add up for all quests I've finished and stuff I've done later after I pay Subscription or add Game TIme at some point?

The Level Cap for Starter Accounts is 20, any XP you gain after reaching level 20 is converted to Silver.

If you add a Sub, you start out with the minimum of XP needed (in general) for level 20, and continue to gain XP (so no Silver conversion).

15/03/2016 13:51Posted by Kapetancina
Also, what is the point of freezing experience gain?

In this context to not level above level 20, as Veteran/Starter play is restricted to Characters with a maximum level of 20.

The general reason to Lock XP is to prevent too fast XP gains and/or to maximize a character at a certain Character Level.
Hello, my game time run out yesterday so i logged my level 20 character and when i tried to join a random battleground i will get "Starter Edition Accounts Cannot perform That Action" message.I must note that i was being able to play bg's for the first few hours when my game time run out but now i cannot anymore.
Why is this happening?
14/04/2016 10:59Posted by Ilvainne
Hello, my game time run out yesterday so i logged my level 20 character and when i tried to join a random battleground i will get "Starter Edition Accounts Cannot perform That Action" message.I must note that i was being able to play bg's for the first few hours when my game time run out but now i cannot anymore.
Why is this happening?

Sounds like bug, as Veteran characters can normally queue for BG's, Arena and now also for War Games, apparently. I just tested it on two of my Veteran characters.

However, the Premade Group Finder Tab (both PvP and PvE) doesn't work for Veteran Accounts, probably because you can't start groups. Hope this helps.
So starter accounts who has full accounts too can join guilds if another character is in and can use guild chat and whispers to guild members? i didnt know that. thanks.
Hi.
I cannot create new topics, since my account is frozen, but can someone please make a new post regarding the following information? Thanks.
I`m not a wow player, i played in the past, but i would have some food for the brain for the blizz team.
As the community always wanted and requested servers that would allow them to play on their favorite expansions, my idea would allow this to happen,and this without creating new servers for specific expansions.
Here`s my idea:
Bring back Tanaris into action, more exactly : caverns of time.
Create a long quest chain that would end up with Nozdormu and the bronze dragonflight giving acces to players to time portals.
After all : " The Bronze Dragonflight is recruiting adventurers to make sure that the events that took place in the past remain as they were. "
So...this idea would not intervene with the main storyline, would not interfere with the actual servers, but would allow players and their characters to travel back to their desired expansion with the maximum level for that expansion, with gear stats and player stats dropped to meet that expansions requirements(nobody would want to have a level 70 toon with the stats of a 110`s character).
Entering the portal, players would have both their level and stats dropped to a specific point. Any items received from that expansion pack, after another expansion had been released could not be equipped( e.g. : players soloing icc at level 100/110 and obtaining items, when returning to level 80 through the portal,should not be able to use obtained gear that has any stats attached, like armors, swords,etc <mounts/ tabards/should not count or be taken in consideration as this items dont give any stats).
WIth this being done, i could see people coming back to play Wow, as their favorite expansion would be again available to them.
Players who play on private servers would return if their favorite expansion would be available to them again.
One could return to "present time" by talking to Nozdormu again, or taking again the portal to present. (another quest chain could be implemented that would in the end allow traveling back to present)
The time travel has been already implemented in WOD , if i`m not mistaked(i dont have very much info about that expansion) so, this idea would not be very dangerous for the WOW universe.
Cheers.
27/08/2016 15:10Posted by Heretique
Hi.
I cannot create new topics, since my account is frozen,

Yeah...that was new to me.

Quite a silly move by Blizz, as it prevents Veteran Accounts - the former subscribers that, running in the 10's of millions, are the most likely to return to a 10 year old game - from provding adequate Feedback on WHY they stopped subscribing.

Note that this wasn't the case with the previous Forum, once again instead of progress we see the game devolving instead.
hi, thinking of coming back but just wondering if i buy the latest expansion does it come with a month game time ?
Maybe you want to add that you can no longuer use special currency for most purposes, like exchanging tickets or fish in Darkmoon Fire.
13/02/2017 10:19Posted by Mythrandia
hi, thinking of coming back but just wondering if i buy the latest expansion does it come with a month game time ?

no it doesn't and it never will
07/06/2017 11:28Posted by Prysia
Maybe you want to add that you can no longuer use special currency for most purposes, like exchanging tickets or fish in Darkmoon Fire.

Wotta revoltin' development :(

03/07/2017 03:37Posted by Elwyres
13/02/2017 10:19Posted by Mythrandia

no it doesn't and it never will

Considering they apparently have removed the option to try an Expansion for free/the 7day Free Trials, they might want to reconsider that.

And now for the question as Veterans can't start Threads:
The 29.99 Virtual BlizzCon ticket gives you a new two-seater mount with Faction specific skin. The Alliance version is a two-seater helicopter I really like. Is this Mount:
- directly added to your Account's list of Mounts, so irrespective of logging in?
- if not, would logging in with a level 20 do the trick or do you need a higher level?
- will just logging in work or do you need to open the Mailbox (requiring game time)?
I don't play anymore (too much nonsense going on with lower levels and PvP in general - really odd changes as at least for Current Cap play the WoD system was pretty good) and don't feel like paying for something I don't support but the mount is pretty sweet & the game MIGHT get better again (though it would probably require Expansion Capped Servers for that).