Blizzard Ban Bait (Profanity Filter)

General
Upon logging in today I found I had an in-game mail giving me an account suspension warning due to me using profanities during an argument I had in a guild chat when my fiance was verbally attacked.
My problem with this is simple;
There is an in-game profanity filter which you can toggle on or off
Doesn't that mean you can Literally choose to swear / have swearing in your game?
Am I missing something here?

Also, I'm sure many of you who have played WoW for a long time have noticed that almost on a daily basis we see disgusting and disturbing things in chat; there are people that are openly racist, people that are extremely bigoted, people who talk about taboo subjects including, but sickeningly not limited to, rape for instance.
Yet they are back on the next day and the next seemingly going on unpunished.

Can anyone explain where the logic behind this is?
Why is there a profanity filter if they can use profanities as a reason to ban us?
Why do the sick, twisted nasty individuals seem to get away with things then someone like me, who in this case called someone a thing or two after my fiance was verbally attacked get's warned with a suspension?
02/03/2015 17:51Posted by Stoss
Am I missing something here?

Yes, you directed profanitys at someone.

The filter is there so you dont have to see somebody swearing, not to protect someone from being verbally assualted.
Yes there is a filter,if they turn it off it should be theire own fault reading those words.
02/03/2015 17:51Posted by Stoss
there are people that are openly racist, people that are extremely bigoted, people who talk about taboo subjects including, but sickeningly not limited to, rape for instance.
Yet they are back on the next day and the next seemingly going on unpunished.

Can anyone explain where the logic behind this is?

Not enough people are reporting them. :(

As for the profanity filter. I don't really understand why profanity isn't just outright blocked/filtered from the get go, without giving people the toggle. Being able to mask it doesn't mean you are allowed to use it. Just because "go f@%£$^%&%$£ you £%£$^%$' (you get the point) appears in chat instead of actual swear words, doesn't mean it's suddenly a-ok. You are still being rude and nasty, you are just using the defence of " well they cant see me being rude and nasty so it's ok".
I get that sometimes people deserve a nasty word or two thrown their way, however, and I know this advice will go down like a lead balloon, sometimes it is best to turn the other cheek. If you fiancé is being verbally attacked, instead of incriminating yourself you should report and block the person and let Blizzard deal with it. That way you don't get in trouble, and if they are a repeat offender, they will eventually (hopefully) come unstuck.
Well OP all you can take from this is that who-ever you swore at, it insulted them and they got so butthurt to report you over it. Very VERY lame of that person who insulted your fiance and then got his !@# handed to him to report you.

Gj OP for hurting that douches feelings! +1 But yeah, since there are little kids like him in this game, you gotta watch out with the cursewords, cause an undeveloped mind like his can get hurt :' (
Directing profanity at players is against the rules

You're free to use it to an extent to describe situations/objects if your vocabulary doesn't stretch very far
https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/ingame-and-forum-conduct

Profanity is not allowed in-game and on the forum, plain and simple.
As said in the policy, they take a more lenient stance regarding guild chat.
So if you got an account suspension for using profanity in guild chat, it must've been severe enough to justify it.
You're free to use it as much as you like to describe situations/objects if your vocabulary doesn't stretch very far

I've always laughed at this argument. Only ignorant people come out with that drivel.

On topic though - just because you can filter profanity off, it doesn't mean you can openly abuse people with it. Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying your cause wasn't just; merely directly answering your question. But as another poster said - at least you upset them enough to force them into taking that action. Justice has been done for your fiancé :P
Had usch past guild emmbers couldn't ask a qeustion without hem attacking me for nothing, after 2 months of this i snapped and went full loose (told to shut up just for wishing a happy new year was the last straw), guild master didn't wanna bother and removed me. He isn't loved at all by the remaining members but it seems he has an 'kick from guild' protecion field around him. Almost nobody likes him. Ofcourse i got a warning but in your case and in my case those people deserved it. Former guild master did it when people where harrising her son, sometimes kids who do stuff like that need this. They won't listen otherwise.
[/quote]I get that sometimes people deserve a nasty word or two thrown their way, however, and I know this advice will go down like a lead balloon, sometimes it is best to turn the other cheek. If you fiancé is being verbally attacked, instead of incriminating yourself you should report and block the person and let Blizzard deal with it. That way you don't get in trouble, and if they are a repeat offender, they will eventually (hopefully) come unstuck.[/quote]

Thank you for the advice, I guess I will turn cheek in the future, however after playing this game for so many years and never having a problem like this I expect this to get frustrating.
Rest assured though the balloon will stay afloat but I must admit, being treated like a child in this respect (Profanity warning) is rather off-putting! ;(
Oops, fail quoting there ^
Excuse me as I'm an amateur forum user however I would like to thank everyone who's commented,
at least now I understand why I got the warning, perhaps they should have a little warning on how and when profanity is acceptable when hovering over the filter!
But yeah, I appreciate the feedback here, I contacted live chat before and the customer support representative was extremely rude when I asked what I've asked here, he literally just ignored what I wrote and told me if I continued to use offensive language I would get permanently banned then closed the chat on me! lol!

I guess I'll have to start biting my tongue and making better use of my ignore list in the future ;)
I find it quite difficult to give a decent response as I have no idea what either your guildmember or you yourself said. You may have been way out of line or it may have been a proper rebuttal.

What I'd like to say is tho I'd prefer it if my partner left it to me to deal with it myself. While chivalrous in intention no doubt, personally I'd feel like it's all gone out of control if my partner would end up in a swearing fit over it while it's really my issue, not his :).
The problem is easy to fix, get your fiancée to ignore the player and complain to the guilds GM and open a ticket. But as always I am sure there is more to this, like what caused the attacking in the first place.

The profanity filter is there to stop swear words, it cannot stop insults, remember Monty Python? "Your mother was a Hamster and your father smelt of elderberries"?

The Five word mantra is "Report, Ignore and Move on."

02/03/2015 18:15Posted by Stoss
I know this advice will go down like a lead balloon, sometimes it is best to turn the other cheek.
And this is why they get away with it, PEOPLE DON'T REPORT THEM.
02/03/2015 18:27Posted by Dottie
And this is why they get away with it, PEOPLE DON'T REPORT THEM.

And maybe if you had read my VERY NEXT SENTENCE, you'd take that back:

owever, and I know this advice will go down like a lead balloon, sometimes it is best to turn the other cheek. If you fiancé is being verbally attacked, instead of incriminating yourself you should report and block the person and let Blizzard deal with it.
02/03/2015 18:23Posted by Hathra
I find it quite difficult to give a decent response as I have no idea what either your guildmember or you yourself said. You may have been way out of line or it may have been a proper rebuttal.

What I'd like to say is tho I'd prefer it if my partner left it to me to deal with it myself. While chivalrous in intention no doubt, personally I'd feel like it's all gone out of control if my partner would end up in a swearing fit over it while it's really my issue, not his :).

I don't believe I can post exactly what happened; basically we just joined some guild, someone said something about trick birthday candles of all things, my fiance commented "I love those candles (nameofpersonwhosaidit)!" then the person told them not to butt in and that my fiance was not part of the conversation, we both said they should have been talking in whisper then and not to be so rude and they proceeded to start hurling abuse at my fiance, later, during the argument it turned out they were angry because my fiance spelled their name wrong and that is something they don't like or accept and that was the point I had a pop at them.
Admittedly it was one short sentence but I was very rude about their intelligence and arrogance and called them a notorious name; I still believe in the circumstance that what I said was justified, but in itself I do accept that it was a very offensive sentence. :$ :P
Sounds like a surreal conversation, can imagine that both of you were surprised by it, esp after just joining. If something like that happened to me, I'd just leave the guild rightaway and report the person if it was bad enough. I don't trust guilds where it's ok when someone blows up over something as silly as that and I value both myself and my time too much to bear bad company for long :D.

I hope your fiancée and you will have a better time from here on :).
Thank you very much, yeah it was rather surprising but other than that one incident it turned out to be a nice guild and the GM handled it well when he came on! ^^
02/03/2015 18:30Posted by Lisanna
And maybe if you had read my VERY NEXT SENTENCE, you'd take that back:

You do know that the customer support live chat is not the place to report ingame harassment and foul language, right?

02/03/2015 18:43Posted by Stoss
Admittedly it was one short sentence but I was very rude about their intelligence and arrogance and called them a notorious name; I still believe in the circumstance that what I said was justified, but in itself I do accept that it was a very offensive sentence.

Two wrong don't make a right but it does make you feel a whole lot better. Unfortunately, anyone who breaks the rules for any reason can be punished. Which is why turning the other cheek is not the best way to go.
Great to hear it got handled so well by your gm Stoss :).
02/03/2015 19:10Posted by Dottie
You do know that the customer support live chat is not the place to report ingame harassment and foul language, right?

I never said it was. I advised the OP to not respond in kind to people being rude/nasty, and to instead report and ignore. Aka: turn the other cheek.

You leapt on it without reading it properly and are now inserting claims I never made to try and justify your foolishness. And to think I usually respect your posting habits.